going out from burning man on thursday/friday

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: going out from burning man on thursday/friday

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 am

Or you can stay and see this:

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

Do you want to bring this:

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Nipple » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:06 am

I'm not sure of the particulars, but I think you're going to have a hard time getting to Quincy, George, or Martha Washington by air unless you're flying a crop duster.

There's not much out there in that part of Washington. It's beautiful because it's undeveloped. Aim for Spokane/Seattle, Kennewick or Moses Lake. Pretty much in that order.

Take a car and be your ride if its important to you. I understand you're trying to conserve and do it "Green" or what-have-you, but there are lots of other people that rideshare to the Burn because they can be flexible. Net-Zero one of those dudes and get to where you need to be.

What concert are you going to?
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby PIXIP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

* i am not missing the burn, i miss about half of it. i'll get more of it than most of the world populations
* i am missing half of it this year only
* i think I'll read some more thread and start another one for the whole "Self-Reliance/Flexibility vs. Sharing" when doing it alone. i think the solution is out there, i just hope i'll find it soon enough to buy tickets early.
* actually, i have found a 190$ flight from Reno through Seattle to Wenacheeta, 35mi from the Gorge.
* i'm going to see a Labor day 3 days concert there that i'm hearing and fantasizing about for the past 10 years (pretty much the same for the burn, beating it by a few years), and then hike the river for a couple of days before going back home! with prrope planning of course.
* any info about renting a car and getting it dusty, if it'll come to this?
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Frankly, if someone said to me: "you get four days at the Burn, which ones do you want?" I'd pick the beginning of the week, not the end. The Burns are pretty, but it gets a little chaotic towards the end of the week in a couple of ways. The Gorge is beautiful; I don't blame you for wanting to go. I saw Nine Inch Nails there--one of the best concerts of my life.

There is plenty of info about cleaning a rental car. Here's my favorite way of getting it. Hop over to google. Type in cleaning rental car eplaya. Then select More results from eplaya.burningman.com ». Info for days. It even tells you how many posts there are per thread. Bigger post count usually means a more helpful thread, but not always.

Rental companies aren't usually excited about lending to Burners, no. If you make the reservation online, you probably won't be asked what you're doing with the vehicle. Volunteering the information about what you're doing may result in a cancellation, so go with your gut on that one, and don't show up before or after the Burn looking dusty. Keep a clean change of clothes and shoes in a plastic bag, and take the car through a car wash at the very least. Be prepared to pay a cleaning fee anyway, just in case.

A friend and I rented a vehicle in 2008 and 2009 and we cleaned the vehicles really well. We didn't get asked where we'd taken the vehicle, and didn't get a cleaning fee. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Nipple » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 pm

http://www.livenation.com/events/220979 ... =event-row

175 Days until the Dave Matthews Burns.

It's a beautiful venue, but if you haven't been there Pixip, you're going to need some similar prep to Black Rock City.

I was sitting on the hill a little to the right of the picture you posted. I was watching Neko Case in shorts and a T-shirt, and getting out my sun block to apply a second coat. The sky suddenly turned dark and opened up. Hail and freezing rain for the next 2 HOURS. Shut down the concert and all of the food vendors. Wayne Coyne was wandering around pulling tarps off of gear cases and handing them to the people huddled up against the stage.

It can be a really harsh venue.
Nipple

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Nipple wrote:http://www.livenation.com/events/220979/aug-30-2013/dave-matthews-band?ui=event-row

175 Days until the Dave Matthews Burns.

It's a beautiful venue, but if you haven't been there Pixip, you're going to need some similar prep to Black Rock City.

I was sitting on the hill a little to the right of the picture you posted. I was watching Neko Case in shorts and a T-shirt, and getting out my sun block to apply a second coat. The sky suddenly turned dark and opened up. Hail and freezing rain for the next 2 HOURS. Shut down the concert and all of the food vendors. Wayne Coyne was wandering around pulling tarps off of gear cases and handing them to the people huddled up against the stage.

It can be a really harsh venue.

Good call.

Pixip, if you have read the Survival Guide, you know you're going to need a warm coat for the playa anyway. It can drop to the high 30's out there at night, though more typically it is 50-55F.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:19 pm

PIXIP wrote: i'll get more of it than most of the world populations

Oh in that case...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Nipple wrote:The sky suddenly turned dark and opened up. Hail and freezing rain for the next 2 HOURS. Shut down the concert and all of the food vendors. Wayne Coyne was wandering around pulling tarps off of gear cases and handing them to the people huddled up against the stage.

Sounds like a perfect use for one of these. Small, light, waterproof, warm(ish).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Those are good. Hardier and easier to wear: the fluorescent rain ponchos with a hood, about 9" x 6" x 0.5" folded in the package.

They don't fit in the average pocket, though.

Savannah

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah, wouldnt want to spend 2 hours hiding under one of those, but not bad in a pinch. Ponchos for the win.
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby NikkiG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm

You can rent a car (most guaranteed way of meeting your deadline), or your can take the Toflame Bus Round trip to Burning man. They are willing to schedule any day and time, as long as 25 other ppl agree to go with you during your designated time slot. Here's what you are allowed to bring: 1 large bag( Max 65" total LxWxH), 1 carry-on sized bag, and a small tent bag/backpack/purse. They will be making a 1 hr stop at Savemart for your 15 gallons of water and food ( included in price) and a used bike 40-50 dollars (extra money to reserve space). Here's the link to their website. http://brc.toflame.com/. I'm a newbie too, and I plan on using them to get back and forth to the airport. Unlike everyone else here, I entertained the same thought of leaving early. I wanted to leave Burning Man on Friday Morning, so I could attend my cruise on Saturday afternoon in Miami. It was a good well thought out plan of having my stuff shipped in the NY container headed to BM and coming with the essentials via airplane, but I had to abandon the idea. It was a plan filled with too many what ifs and regardless of my delays the boat will leave on time. Plus O-Man from the NY Regionals told me that I would want to stay the full week and that things can and do happen. I'm sure you will make it work, but at what expense? Keep researching, the answer will present itself. I wish you much success in fulfilling your goals and if you need help with finding your solution don't be afraid to ask. A wise man asks questions and seeks advice, and the foolish rush into things blindly and hopes that the world will bend for them.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby PIXIP » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

very interesting. i don't look for a cozy bus, i really don't care, but the schedule might fit and the bike part sounds really good.
i guess it's not "burney" but once i get through the gate i guess i'm left to "create my own experience", as should.
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby JayBobBoy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am

i guess it's not "burney" but once i get through the gate i guess i'm left to "create my own experience", as should.

I believe that is a part of the definition of being "burney". YOU are the only one in control of your experience. It is what you make of it.

You are on the right path. Keep doing your research, find a self reliant way to get yourself there, and make sure you don't have to depend on anyone else for your well being.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

JayBobBoy wrote:

I believe that is a part of the definition of being "burney". YOU are the only one in control of your experience. It is what you make of it.

You are on the right path. Keep doing your research, find a self reliant way to get yourself there, and make sure you don't have to depend on anyone else for your well being.

JayBob is right. Being proactive is Burn-y.

If it's any comfort, Pixip, I don't think the To Flame bus will be particularly glamorous. If you had it to yourself, maybe it would be. :) But you won't.

Savannah

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

JayBobBoy wrote:

I think what he meant was that taking the bus is a little too non-self reliant, and thus not burney, but once he gets thru the gates he will be on his own, which is what he wants. I say get there however the hell you can for the least amount of money/hassle/risk possible. Never fun to have a stressful 6/8 hour drive after the burn, not knowing if you're going to miss your next event/flight, so try not to leave many variables in the plan. Last year we left a day ahead of schedule & missed the temple burn, but it was a lucky thing we did because we likely would have missed our flights or fell asleep at the wheel otherwise. Ended up staying in Reno because we were too tired to drive back to SF.
MacGlenver

Postby PIXIP » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 am

if the flight is Thursday afternoon from Reno, planning for a morning departure is a good "Plan A"? of course nothing is guaranteed
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 am

[media]
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby PIXIP » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:
[media]

true that
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm

PIXIP wrote:if the flight is Thursday afternoon from Reno, planning for a morning departure is a good "Plan A"? of course nothing is guaranteed

It's a plan b at best. Especially at mid week without your own car.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Schedule for dust abatement. Hard to understand if you haven't been. Cleaning rental car, cleaning clothes for returning rental car with dusty pack out of sight ("what's burningman?, never heard of it"), cleaning pack, cleaning rest of clothes, maybe cleaning tent, definitely cleaning body. Plenty of threads on rental, dust, cleaning.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Schedule for dust abatement. Hard to understand if you haven't been. Cleaning rental car, cleaning clothes for returning rental car with dusty pack out of sight ("what's burningman?, never heard of it"), cleaning pack, cleaning rest of clothes, maybe cleaning tent, definitely cleaning body. Plenty of threads on rental, dust, cleaning.

ok thanks. airline flying oriented cleaning-threads....?

if i see it won't cut it, i'll take the car to washington state maybe... bloody hell.
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby NikkiG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, you can rent it for Burning Man, and drive it straight to the concert. By doing it that way you have transportation and shelter if needed covered. Plus it gives you more time to clean it... lol. Itll take you at the very least 2 days to drive there by yourself. you can drop it off at the airport when your flying back home....
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Camp Name: Stag Camp

Previous

Return to 2013 Share Resources