flying half way around the world from Israel with a backpack

flying half way around the world from Israel with a backpack

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 am

hello all. my huge project has started rolling. i'll be traveling alone and i hope the logistics won't have their way with me...
sometime in august, about 5 days before burning man gates open, I'll leave my home in Tel Aviv and head 7500 miles to Reno (or Vegas or SFO). carrying only a backpack.

the good news: i'll have 5 days to get my bearings or even get to the playa and help build stuff before the official opening (if i'll contact the right people beforehand of course)
the bad news: logistics. mainly the fact that i need to be at the Columbia river early Friday! so i have to know beforehand if i can catch a ride with someone that goes north-northwest or to reno on thursday night

how can one get in touch with camps, people and rides? this is not the common question people keep asking and that is because:
1. when i say getting in touch with camps, i mean that i prefer help setting it up, not only that they help me survive with supplies
2. when i say getting in touch with people, I'm referring tot he fact that I'm traveling alone and it will be challenging, in the very least
3. when i say getting in touch with rides, i mean SOON - since i don't know where to book my plane tickets to and from!

any help? advices? something?

see you soon...
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Burning Since: 2013

Re: flying half way around the world from Israel with a back

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 am

You will need more than a backpack.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Read the First-Timers Guide...carefully!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby 9ah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Not sure what you are doing by this river, I don't even know what city, state or country that river is in... You left no details... You should look into RIDESHARE on the BM website. http://rideshare.burningman.com.... You are going to need to read the First Timer's Guide, like dragonpilot said.... And like UD says if you are only planning on getting by in the desert with simply a backpack and no food/shelter then you are kinda doing it wrong. When you arrive you should acquire all your supplies.... A gallon of water for each day, a tent, a way to safely secure your tent (the stakes it comes with are not going to hold in a wind storm) and food! The food court is a figment of all of our imaginations... Best of luck with your prep and enjoy TTITD.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Introduce Yourself!