going out from burning man on thursday/friday

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

going out from burning man on thursday/friday

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am

don't shoot me! but i'm not going to be in for the whole week...
i have to get to the columbia river early friday noon. i can't miss it, because no Columbia River, no Burning man and no trip to USA (i'm flying all the way from Israel)

is anyone planning on leaving the event early on? in any mode of transportation. i need to get to Reno to catch a flight, or go north on my way to WA.
i need to know pretty soon if so, because i need to buy plane tickets pretty soon...
any advices?
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Burning Since: 2013

Re: going out from burning man on thursday/friday

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 am

The Columbia River covers a lot of area, a big difference exactly where if driving and for flight timing to smaller towns. Google Maps will give a good estimation of driving times. If you have minimal luggage outgoing, Advantage Flight runs air shuttles from the Black Rock City airport to the Reno Airport or a charter all the way to your destination. Some people do leave early. Somewhere on your way to your destination you will want to allow time scrub the dust off.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 am

my destination is the grand Gorge Amphitheater in Quincy, WA.
flying out of BRC will rock big time. i'll try contacting the aviators through their mailing list today and see if anyone departs on thursday. i already found a flight from reno but haven't booked yet.
maybe me having a pilot's license will help something (i can pay for the airplane's fuel if i get to fly it or share expanses if not)
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 am

Don't get discouraged if this thread gets snarky-cynical. Advantage Flight is a business. If you are talking about the mailing list for private pilots, the requests for rides outnumber the rides offered by a large ratio. The probability of flying from BRC to a small town in Washington for avgas is essentially zero.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 am

ok thanks. worth a shot.
a plane to Reno might work. i'd love to get actual flying experience in the great American wilderness (sort of) if the plane owner will allow...
besides, probably most ride requests are for the first and last day, so...
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 am

good luck on all that.

2nd page is coming.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Soooo.. lemme see if I have this right.

According to your other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=63901..

You want:

- To show up early (ie have someone give you their highly sought after EA passes)

and

- Someone to fly you in on their plane

and

- Someone to help you set up your camp and give you supplies

Is that right? Just checking.

My advice? Go read the survival guide found here. Now, go read it again.

Get yourself to Reno, bring EVERYTHING you need with you and don't depend on ANYONE for ANYTHING. Anything.

Start looking for a rideshare out of Reno as we get closer to the Burn. Don't plan on coming even a second earlier than the gates are publicly opened.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

ygmir wrote:good luck on all that.

2nd page is coming.

ah?
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 am

PIXIP wrote:

2nd page is coming.

ah?

sorry, to vague.

I was wishing you good luck, on all you are asking for.

and, noting the 2nd page of a thread, is where (usually) snark is asked to start, so you can get a chance at real answers to what some might think easily answered, or "WTF" questions.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am

junglesmacks wrote:Soooo.. lemme see if I have this right.

According to your other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=63901..

You want:

- To show up early (ie have someone give you their highly sought after EA passes)

and

- Someone to fly you in on their plane

and

- Someone to help you set up your camp and give you supplies

almost:
1. I do wish to get in early to the country for the jet lag. but i have plenty of stuff to do in Reno or SF (like lake Tahoe and hiking). but i figured that if i only have 4 days on the event, why not spend another 4 there before it start and help others with whatever i can? that is exactly what i wrote in the volunteer questionaire. seems to me like a win-win situation.
2. i would love to be flown in like a prince. or just flown in as i have 8 years and 1500 hours of flying. or even better yet - sharing expanses, helping with the airport, with the plane, with the flight and such.
3. i don't have a camp. i have a tent. i will be a part of a camp, for sure. but a backpack can only carry so much supplies. so won't it be better to share here, as well? as in i'll help with what ever i can (money, time, help, carrying, planning etc.) and might get helped with tasks that are impossible for me.

the reason for this thread is basically conserving. i do not want to rent a car (or a plane or whatever) - for environmental reasons. and not because i'm a cheapskate. i would love to pay whatever amount of money a rental car cost, if it will go to higher causes (art versus carbon footprint). same goes for my time.
sorry for not explaining it better the first time
Last edited by PIXIP on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 am

ygmir wrote:
PIXIP wrote:

2nd page is coming.

ah?

sorry, to vague.

I was wishing you good luck, on all you are asking for.

and, noting the 2nd page of a thread, is where (usually) snark is asked to start, so you can get a chance at real answers to what some might think easily answered, or "WTF" questions.

much much appreciated
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 am

Ok.. let's see here..

PIXIP wrote:1. I do wish to get in early to the country for the jet lag. but i have plenty of stuff to do in Reno or SF (like lake Tahoe and hiking). but i figured that if i only have 4 days on the event, why not spend another 4 there before it start and help others with whatever i can? that is exactly what i wrote in the volunteer questionaire. seems to me like a win-win situation.

Getting into the country early is one thing, but you are aware that in order to enter the event early you need what is known as an EA - Early Arrival pass, no? These passes are highly coveted and available in very small numbers only to core members of established theme camps and some volunteers. Everyone wants an EA pass. Not saying that it's impossible to find your way into one, just saying that as a first timer.. you're chances are very, very slim. Don't count on this.

PIXIP wrote:2. i would love to be flown in like a prince. or just flown in as i have 8 years and 1500 hours of flying. or even better yet - sharing expanses, helping with the airport, with the plane, with the flight and such.

Again.. good luck with this. Don't count on this. Everyone wants to ride into BM on a plane or even get a plane ride. Pilots are inundated with requests and offers and straight up begging for rides. Your best bet is going to be going by ground in a car.

PIXIP wrote:3. i don't have a camp. i have a tent. i will be a part of a camp, for sure. but a backpack can only carry so much supplies. so won't it be better to share here, as well? as in i'll help with what ever i can (money, time, help, carrying, planning etc.) and might get helped with tasks that are impossible for me.

Being part of a camp is one thing, but asking them to bring supplies for you is another. Are you familiar with the 10 principles? One that we take very, very seriously (not that we don't the rest) is the bit about radical self-reliance. Meaning.. don't depend on ANYONE but yourself. Bring everything that YOU need and don't depend on anyone else for your trip.

Now.. there are camps that offer turn-key camping solutions for a price.. the existence of of which is open for much debate on all sides. If that's what you're into, keep your eyes and ears open. YMMV.

PIXIP wrote:the reason for this thread is basically conserving. i do not want to rent a car (or a plane or whatever) - for environmental reasons. and not because i'm a cheapskate. i would love to pay whatever amount of money a rental car cost, if it will go to higher causes (art versus carbon footprint). same goes for my time.

Conserving is one thing.. but this isn't your every day type of trip. You're going to an extremely inhospitable environment where resources are scarce. You need to secure your own transportation and supplies. Trying to backpack with a weeks worth of supplies gets a little rough and you may want to look into renting some type of vehicle for this in order to be completely..

wait for it.. wait for it..

Self-reliant.
junglesmacks

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:Ok.. let's see here..

PIXIP wrote:1. I do wish to get in early to the country for the jet lag. but i have plenty of stuff to do in Reno or SF (like lake Tahoe and hiking). but i figured that if i only have 4 days on the event, why not spend another 4 there before it start and help others with whatever i can? that is exactly what i wrote in the volunteer questionaire. seems to me like a win-win situation.

Getting into the country early is one thing, but you are aware that in order to enter the event early you need what is known as an EA - Early Arrival pass, no? These passes are highly coveted and available in very small numbers only to core members of established theme camps and some volunteers. Everyone wants an EA pass. Not saying that it's impossible to find your way into one, just saying that as a first timer.. you're chances are very, very slim. Don't count on this.

i know EA. but if someone needs help, and if someone want to help, i'll give it a shot. not counting on it, as i have backup plans for the days before (mainly CouchSurfing and/or Outdoors)

PIXIP wrote:2. i would love to be flown in like a prince. or just flown in as i have 8 years and 1500 hours of flying. or even better yet - sharing expanses, helping with the airport, with the plane, with the flight and such.

Again.. good luck with this. Don't count on this. Everyone wants to ride into BM on a plane or even get a plane ride. Pilots are inundated with requests and offers and straight up begging for rides. Your best bet is going to be going by ground in a car.

i can might be able to offer help in the field of aviation since it is my trade. that's the main difference. i have no wish of flying during the event... had quite enough of that.
again, i'm all about sharing resources. win-win stuff and all that.

PIXIP wrote:3. i don't have a camp. i have a tent. i will be a part of a camp, for sure. but a backpack can only carry so much supplies. so won't it be better to share here, as well? as in i'll help with what ever i can (money, time, help, carrying, planning etc.) and might get helped with tasks that are impossible for me.

Being part of a camp is one thing, but asking them to bring supplies for you is another. Are you familiar with the 10 principles? One that we take very, very seriously (not that we don't the rest) is the bit about radical self-reliance. Meaning.. don't depend on ANYONE but yourself. Bring everything that YOU need and don't depend on anyone else for your trip.

Now.. there are camps that offer turn-key camping solutions for a price.. the existence of of which is open for much debate on all sides. If that's what you're into, keep your eyes and ears open. YMMV.

even if you plan with friends and they back out in the last minute, you might need others' assistance. i do not want to be taken care off and fed and pampered for the right price. i want to be a part of something, in my way - with my shortcomings, disadvantages, and benefits, unique to me as a overseas-burner-coming-early-who-do--not-want-to-rent-a-car-alone type of guy. i'll start there

PIXIP wrote:the reason for this thread is basically conserving. i do not want to rent a car (or a plane or whatever) - for environmental reasons. and not because i'm a cheapskate. i would love to pay whatever amount of money a rental car cost, if it will go to higher causes (art versus carbon footprint). same goes for my time.

Conserving is one thing.. but this isn't your every day type of trip. You're going to an extremely inhospitable environment where resources are scarce. You need to secure your own transportation and supplies. Trying to backpack with a weeks worth of supplies gets a little rough and you may want to look into renting some type of vehicle for this in order to be completely..

wait for it.. wait for it..

Self-reliant.

4 days. not a week.
backpacking through the burn isn't my favorite MO. it's a given situation so to speak, or a challenge, one that i need to think my way through it.

and Self-Reliance can be a group goal if planned early and correctly. the scale is flexible as a see it - can be a one man show, or a crew.
i just want to find a crew.

דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am

Understood. Just wanted to make sure that your expectations were in line.

Good luck.
junglesmacks

Postby PIXIP » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 am

all comments were much appreciated and very relevant. Even some more food for thoughts.
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby Asquared » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:06 am

somewhat off topic, but the gorge is beautiful. i used to live/work there. i truly hope you make it, bcuz in my mind it is one of the however many wonders of the world.

good luck!
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 am

Wow, I read the OP and expected a much different thread to follow. I think it went about right...
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Now can we talk about the midgets and bowling pins?
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Good luck to you, PIXIP. If there's anything this thread should tell you, it's that what you're looking for is not easily done (Junglesmacks is correct). Your list of goals is an ambitious one. There's nothing wrong with that--the Burn is full of people with crazed ambition--but because of this and your new-person status--if you mention these all at once (for example, to a camp you want to stay with) your emails are going to get some disbelieving looks, at best.

If I were in your position, I would find a camp based on how well it matched my interests & skills, write to them about why we're a good match, and make a rental car reservation with a company that allows cancellations without penalty. (Maybe you will end up driving, and can pick up a rideshare who splits the costs--at least 1 way--with you.) That way, you have a backup plan.

You could then seek the additional things you want, one at a time.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I have to agree with Savannah. Show some "radical self-reliance" and rent a car in Reno. They're probably no more expensive than whatever air service there might happen to be from Reno to BRC. That way you have plenty of space for your water and other necessities without becoming a burden upon others. And if you drive in on Thursday, you can use the BDC&WB Reno hotel deal at the Sands for $27 before flying out.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Man, good thing other people replied before I got a chance to lay down some snarky -- and yet equally informative -- responses to some of the requests.

No, I don't respect the 2nd-page "rule."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Be warned: burners are notoriously flakey. Good hearts, but none of us own a watch. You have a very tight timetable that must drive your burn and this will be almost impossible to assure. Things happen on Playa Time. And this could be NEVER.

I suggest you get a car. Its the only sure fire way to get out of BRC ("sure fire" being a very relative term). Flying out can be a real problem sometimes. There have been times the runway has been closed for a couple of days. Such a complication would ruin your schedule. Dust storms are routine. It rains and turns the playa into a bowl of impassable gumbo. The only cure for these things is time.

I also want to echo the mantra about having your own shelter. You may not find your camp immediately. Or you may not find it at all. Shelter (shade) and food/water MUST be under your control at all times. This is already more than you can carry in a pack. If you dont hit the gate with the bare minimum, you may be denied entry.

Its good you are working on this early. And I think it can be done. But I want you to understand the dynamics you must deal with.

Good luck with your burn! I admire your sense of adventure.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Doesn't flying have a much larger carbon footprint than driving?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Doesn't flying have a much larger carbon footprint than driving?

My 172 burns about 8 gals an hour. Once you do the math of burn over time its about the same as a car. Of course fuel cost/gal is a lot more. But carbon footprint isnt too bad in passenger miles per gallon.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby 9ah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Pixip.... Please understand that people all seem to be saying Ma pitom?????!?!?!?! to you because the things you are saying actually make you appear to be a mooch, which may not be the case, nobody can speak for you here except you. Search a few options and read that First Timer's Guide like you are about to fail this test called Life. Jot down notes and read things that have worked regarding leaving early.

As for EA, you can't just expect folks to dole those out. EA is for builders of camps and it sounds like you are not currently set up with a camp that will guarantee you one of those.

Best of luck with your planning.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby 9ah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Be warned: burners are notoriously flakey. Good hearts, but none of us own a watch. You have a very tight timetable that must drive your burn and this will be almost impossible to assure. Things happen on Playa Time. And this could be NEVER.

I suggest you get a car. Its the only sure fire way to get out of BRC ("sure fire" being a very relative term). Flying out can be a real problem sometimes. There have been times the runway has been closed for a couple of days. Such a complication would ruin your schedule. Dust storms are routine. It rains and turns the playa into a bowl of impassable gumbo. The only cure for these things is time.

I also want to echo the mantra about having your own shelter. You may not find your camp immediately. Or you may not find it at all. Shelter (shade) and food/water MUST be under your control at all times. This is already more than you can carry in a pack. If you dont hit the gate with the bare minimum, you may be denied entry.

Its good you are working on this early. And I think it can be done. But I want you to understand the dynamics you must deal with.

Good luck with your burn! I admire your sense of adventure.

So true... All my return rideshares bailed, left me notes at camp throughout the week. I ended up driving back by myself... I did pick up someone eventually before I made it back to SF, which offset some costs, but I left the Tuesday after the burn...

There was also the days that the exit gate/airport were closed last year due to the 'missing' teenager... Was it 48 hours? You can't guarantee that you will be able to leave at a certain time. It may not be a missing person, but it could be a 24 hour dust/rain storm.
9ah

Postby PIXIP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 am

9ah wrote:Pixip.... Please understand that people all seem to be saying Ma pitom?????!?!?!?! to you because the things you are saying actually make you appear to be a mooch, which may not be the case, nobody can speak for you here except you. Search a few options and read that First Timer's Guide like you are about to fail this test called Life. Jot down notes and read things that have worked regarding leaving early.

As for EA, you can't just expect folks to dole those out. EA is for builders of camps and it sounds like you are not currently set up with a camp that will guarantee you one of those.

Best of luck with your planning.

[*] thanks everybody!
[*] EA are only a bonuses, even not sought after ones. i offer more of my help than i expect to receive.
[*] being there for 4 days and then make my way to WA is of course not ideal. but for quite a few reasons, it's either that or no trip+no burn...
[*] for those of you speaking about money. again, it has nothing to do with money. the plane tickets cost 1600$, just for the perspectives.
[*] actually, for a cessna, the the ratio of passenger weight and vehicle weight is better than 95% of the cars in the world (2400lb max weight and i can be much less, and there smaller planes). add that to the fact the i am looking for aviator who are doing the trip anyways, and the fact that it is my trade. and besides, you don't say no to solutions, as long as they are remotely possible.
[*] about renting a car: don't they hate people taking it to the desert?
[*]יהיה בסדר. it will all be beseder.
דרישת שלום מישראל
PIXIP

Postby 9ah » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:52 am

Ma nishma? ;-)

I'm sure you'll figure it out and get it done!
9ah

Postby Nipple » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 am

2nd page is coming.

Nipple

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am

Very beautiful, worth missing the Burn for: