Police, Drug Sniffing Dogs & the Law Updated 2013

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Police, Drug Sniffing Dogs & the Law Updated 2013

Postby Zhust » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Some people not only use self-preservation when regarding a police state, they internalize it until anyone not happily following the dictates of the police state, even in private and cautiously, must be simply stupid, all of them. There is a certain pride in following orders, and blanket contempt for people willing to break the rules. Be smart, be cautious, know your rights, use the crosswalk, never break the law, or never let 'em know you are. What are the sodemy laws like in Nevada?

Totally agree.

Of course, it's hard to implement. The number of times I've had to deal with police paying attention to me I could count on one hand, so I have very little practice (idea: start a "dealing with police" training class where you practice ... hmm). So when the cop came up to me when I was riding my bike with the trailer and asked what I had in the toolbox I use as a trunk on the bike, I asked why. He said there were people stealing copper pipe from houses. I looked at all the cars going by and said, "gee, don't you think you could steal more pipe with a car?" He said he just wanted to see in the toolbox. I thought about telling him to go get a warrant, but I just fucking showed him there wasn't any copper-pipe-stealing tools because I really didn't want to spend the next 3 hours dicking around with a bunch of fucking douchebag pigs. It counts a million times more on the way to Burning Man.

But the lesson in all this is: blame the legislators who make dumb things illegal and the police who are complicit in executing those laws. One who has not caused harm to someone else has committed no crime.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 am

Zhust wrote: He said there were people stealing copper pipe from houses.

This is so bizarre I had to stop and search my mind to recall that this does happen. Thieves sometimes strip recyclable metals and reusable fixtures from vacant homes.

So... if I owned a vacant rental, I think I would be glad my police department helped protect me from such losses.

A few weeks ago here in Lake County, a convenience store clerk was murdered by a robber. Every sensible person in the county wants to help catch the perpetrator. The search is on for a 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota, whose driver may be an eye-witness, even if he is not aware of it. I drive such a vehicle. I am actually disappointed I have not been pulled over, which suggests the local agencies do not have enough manpower to investigate the murder quickly and thoroughly.

Well, I just thought I'd offer the other viewpoint for a productive discussion.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 am

Elliot wrote:
Zhust wrote: He said there were people stealing copper pipe from houses.

This is so bizarre I had to stop and search my mind to recall that this does happen. Thieves sometimes strip recyclable metals and reusable fixtures from vacant homes.

So... if I owned a vacant rental, I think I would be glad my police department helped protect me from such losses.

It's a huge freakin deal. Copper from construction sites too, though typically it's one of your employees stealing it. We've had cases where the copper goes in one day, and the next morning it is gone.

Or the more subtle method of just snipping a little more excess wire than you need and pocketing the remainder. If you go to a tradesman's home and they've got a burn barrel in the back, that's what they're doing sometimes. Excess wire goes in. Burn off the coating and you're left with copper scrap. The honest ones are just doing it with legitimate scrap and trimmings.

Or they're a serial killer.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Nipple » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Copper miners. Ugh.

So... vocationally I'm tied to a bunch of cell sites. All of them have grounding rings, bus bars and just a bunch of copper hanging around.

Over the years I think pretty much every site I have has been hit once. REALLY bums me. They net maybe $20 and cop a fix of whatever. To repair their damage it costs us a couple thousand dollars.

Almost makes me want to get into a methhead protection racket.

"I'm going to tie a $20 bill to the fence each night. It stops when the copper vanishes. 123GO"

Also: I recently wandered into an abandoned amusement park. Every electrical wire had been stripped from the entire park. A movie had recently filmed there and they had to rewire a bunch of stuff to get the park lights working. In the few months between them being there and my visit... all gone again.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Nipple wrote:Almost makes me want to get into a methhead protection racket.

"I'm going to tie a $20 bill to the fence each night. It stops when the copper vanishes. 123GO"

*snirk*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

We actually have people steal copper that is under electrical load! And I'm talking high voltage loads. Substation type stuff. Freakin nuts.

And then there's this guy:

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-arr ... he-remains
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Nipple » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah, luckily no one has touched my transmission lines. Lots of copper in them too.
Nipple

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 pm

All right, everybody together now:
Bring up a mental image of a cat with its tail in an electrical outlet.

You are most welcome. :mrgreen:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm

In the 60's people were going out on the desert and shooting down sections of line..
Some even had power spools mounted on there trucks..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Elliot wrote:All right, everybody together now:
Bring up a mental image of a cat with its tail in an electrical outlet.

You are most welcome. :mrgreen:

That used to be a battery...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Nipple wrote:Over the years I think pretty much every site I have has been hit once. REALLY bums me. They net maybe $20 and cop a fix of whatever. To repair their damage it costs us a couple thousand dollars.

Almost makes me want to get into a methhead protection racket.

I think some anti-personnel land mines would be a better investment as a more "permanent" solution.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Or the more subtle method of just snipping a little more excess wire than you need and pocketing the remainder. If you go to a tradesman's home and they've got a burn barrel in the back, that's what they're doing sometimes. Excess wire goes in. Burn off the coating and you're left with copper scrap. The honest ones are just doing it with legitimate scrap and trimmings.

Or they're a serial killer.

HAHAHA.
It is a pretty big pain in the ass. We find that its typically the painters or concrete floor epoxy-ers and finishers. Especially when they have to work double or triple shifts to meet schedule and not delay other work.
I think its funniest when the idiots steal the Coax! HAHAHA! It isn't worth shit! And once it starts burning it just keeps burning. Half the time its PVC jacket so its super toxic and nasty.

The honest ones are returning the trimmings and scrap to the person that bought the cable.
At our company, all scrap is saved tell the end of the project. If the guys in the field make any huge careless mistakes, the recovered cost from the scrap is used to pay for it before their pay gets deducted. So, you have the guys pulling the cable keeping an eye on the guys terminating and dressing the closets. And, if the project goes alight and no expensive equipment is lost or careless mistakes made, the field guys get to split the recovered cost.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby 48_love » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Stealing copper power lines in Africa is a big deal ... often miles at a time.

On drug sniffing dogs, that doesn't sound like a bad career. Next life I will reincarnate as a drug sniffing dog. Hope I can get some hooker dogs in estrous.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby geospyder » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Back to the original post. It hit home last night. Apparently yesterday the police did a sweep through the high school parking lot my granddaughter attends. The dog alerted on her car. They pulled her out of class to open her car for a search. No drugs found but in a tool box in the trunk (this is her boyfriends car who is in the Air Force in Japan at the moment) they found a pocket knife. Because of having a knife on school grounds she was suspended for five days. On the surface this is bullshit but I'm only hearing one side and it did happen in California so who knows :roll:
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm

My second thought -- right after "That's preposterous!" -- is "What are we, as a society, doing so horribly wrong that a tool kit in the trunk of a car can be considered a grievous safety hazard?"

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Well fuck.. A 7 year old gnawed out the shape of a gun from his pastry and was sent home for two days
unjonharley

Postby TT120 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I think one of the points that needs to be brought up is that the dog made a positive hit on her car. No drugs were found. That means that either the dog is unreliable or the cop lied about the hit.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm

unjonharley wrote:Well fuck.. A 7 year old gnawed out the shape of a gun from his pastry and was sent home for two days

Next we'll see kids that make gun-shapes with their hands/fingers and "pew pew" sound effects sent home.

Damn kids and their thought-crimes!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

BBadger wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Well fuck.. A 7 year old gnawed out the shape of a gun from his pastry and was sent home for two days

Next we'll see kids that make gun-shapes with their hands/fingers and "pew pew" sound effects sent home.

Damn kids and their thought-crimes![/quote

That happen about two weeks ago..] Yesterday a kid was sent home for playing army.
He was running and throwing make believe hand grenades.. with voice powered sound effects..
unjonharley

Postby geospyder » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

How did we ever get away with playing Cowboys and Indians - complete with cap guns, bows and suction tipped arrows?
geospyder

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I remember when my friend and I were shooting at birds in the neighborhood, and one of our neighbors got super pissed with us and told my dad. So after my dad talked with the neighbor he took us aside and told us: "okay guy, just shoot at the birds in the backyard okay?"

BBadger

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Elliot wrote:So... if I owned a vacant rental, I think I would be glad my police department helped protect me from such losses.

Where does this happen?

On the other hand, for the second time in several months, police have accidentally shot one another here.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 am

Or the police dog, that fired off a round.. dog was digging the gun out of a snow bank..

Or the cop that left his gun out.. 4 year old son killed himself. Hand guns should have a 7 pound trigger pull.. that must have been filed down a lot for a 4 year old to pull the trigger..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 am

Dogs were involved in both of the police friendly fire shootings here.

Unfortunately trigger pull wouldn't solve the problem with kids.
My friend started training his kid much earlier than four, basic safety.
Don't touch without supervision, etc.
gyre

Postby Zhust » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:51 am

TT120 wrote:That means that either the dog is unreliable or the cop lied about the hit.

In other news, Report: Drug-Sniffing Dogs Are Wrong More Often Than Right.

But don't let some pesky "facts" get in the way of trampling our rights.

:roll:
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby Zhust » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 am

Elliot wrote:What are we, as a society, doing so horribly wrong that a tool kit in the trunk of a car can be considered a grievous safety hazard?

Worse than an armed populace is a populace that can fix things and doesn't need to buy new shit all the time.
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby geospyder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Here is a picture of the "weapon" that got my granddaughter suspended for five days. It was found in a tool box in the trunk of the car. Not even her car. The car is her boyfriends who is currently stationed in Okinawa. Blade is so dull it wont even cut paper

geospyder

Postby BBadger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:00 am

Well the police did find an "Assault Weapon" in the trunk of that Newtown killer's car, and that knife-with-a-blade-they'd-probably-allow-on-airlines-now is only a few steps removed from that ... so I think that suspension is entirely justified.

BBadger

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 am

There are two completely contradictory versions of the incident now.

You have to wonder if any of it is true.
gyre

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy