Import Taxes to Nevada

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Re: Import Taxes to Nevada

Postby Rice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:07 pm

BBadger wrote:Well I wouldn't try bringing in firearms, but probably the worst that can happen with the beer is that you have to pay extra duty on it. Still... who knows if the airline will allow it anyway because of the pressure effects on the liquids, etc. Shipping 5 gallons of beer or whatever the amount is going to be pricey though.

US Customs can be a humbling experience. Whatever is decided: be polite, be honest, be sincere and answer all questions truthfully...

Make sure there is nothing in your past which could hinder your entrance into the USA. (If you have had any legal interactions in your default country, it could prevent you from entering - no matter how long ago...)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Rice wrote:
BBadger wrote:Well I wouldn't try bringing in firearms, but probably the worst that can happen with the beer is that you have to pay extra duty on it. Still... who knows if the airline will allow it anyway because of the pressure effects on the liquids, etc. Shipping 5 gallons of beer or whatever the amount is going to be pricey though.

US Customs can be a humbling experience. Whatever is decided: be polite, be honest, be sincere and answer all questions truthfully...

Make sure there is nothing in your past which could hinder your entrance into the USA. (If you have had any legal interactions in your default country, it could prevent you from entering - no matter how long ago...)

He's not going to Canada... Gosh. :wink:

I had a friend turned back at the Niagara border because she forgot to declare the pepper spray that was stuffed somewhere in the trunk (she's an ex-cop which is where she originally acquired it)... 17 hours of driving to see a border...
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Rice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:18 pm

9ah wrote:
Rice wrote:

He's not going to Canada... Gosh. :wink:

I had a friend turned back at the Niagara border because she forgot to declare the pepper spray that was stuffed somewhere in the trunk (she's an ex-cop which is where she originally acquired it)... 17 hours of driving to see a border...

He is, however, travelling into the United States. It would suck (a fair bit) to end up having to fly back to Europe and never actually leave the airport...

It is true, there are things which are illegal in Canada that are fine in the USA... It is best to research, ask, get permission before getting on the plane. Even checking the wrong box on your customs declaration form could prohibit one from entering!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby DJ_Matou » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 am

I think there is a regulation which gives me no more free than 1 liter of beer to take with (plus ANY amount of liquor what i have buyed AFTER the security check in the duty free store ... )
So it will be probably the 30 kg package with DHL (and without Sprengkapseln :-) )
... what costs me a good bunch of € anyway.

I found some guys shipping their own RV to the states for beeing there for a long journey lasting one year and their documented costs. So if i would pack 40 gallons of my stuff in the car (what is allowed, ok, tax 13 cent per gallon so what) it would turn out cheaper to get a car to the states.
If we go further and do a correct calculation agains the renting costs of the RV here this summer.... :shock: maybe some Vollblut-BWLer can set up a business case - if every visitor of BRC drinks one gallon of beer ... :mrgreen: :coffee:(<--still a beer stain / masskrug)
no we are non commercial i know :roll:
DJ_Matou

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: probably Lost Souls Camp

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 am

Whatever strategy you end up using, please let us know how it goes. It might help someone else. That, and we're just curious (and, I imagine, want this to go well). :)
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby DJ_Matou » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Sorry for being that late, i owe this answer:
Unfortunately my beer did not find the way to the playa. I was in trying to ship as a gift to one burner friend from OE Camp. Unfortunately i had a technical problem. My lightweight containers were too light, they started to blow up 2 weeks prior shipping, and one exploded. It was to late to organize something better, so i canceled the shipment. :-(

Maybe i am able to be back in '15 (i hoper really, because my virgin burn was really awesome) ; until then i will have experimented with small 5 liter party kegs; maybe the are strong enough to sourvive the shipment in one piece.

Best Greetings (at the moment from Utah)
Matou
DJ_Matou

Postby chuckularone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Sorry you didn't get your beer to the playa. If you want (this year) for me to brew you a batch, I'd be happy to. I've been home brewing for 21 years. I live in Delaware (the other DE) and I'm planning on bringing 10 to 15 gallons of beer out this year myself.

Cheers!
-Chuck
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Postby DJ_Matou » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:00 am

Hi Chuck

That's a great offer! How big are your batches?
Maybe i can calculate my receipe to your batchsize and send you the needed stuff from here and my formula?
Then you can create a wonderful Hefeweizen Munich Style (natural muddy - sounds terrible in english - but i am sure you will love it) :D

Cheers! Matou
DJ_Matou

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:24 am

Maybe "cloudy" is better than "muddy".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby chuckularone » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 am

I typically do 5 gallon all-grain batches. I'm a wheat beer guy myself, more on the wit side than the heffe side, but I'll drink any decent home brewed beer! :-)
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Previous

Return to Transportation