Bringing my Casita trailer to the Playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Bringing my Casita trailer to the Playa

Postby TexasRick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

Too late for this year, but I'm going to come solo in 2015 in a 17' Casita trailer. Since I will be a BM virgin, I will probably gravitate to one of the orphan camps for the first year, anyway. I am debating bringing a generator or a 12 volt battery bank (4 six volt batteries in the truck bed, properly secured and wired) I don't anticipate running the genset more than a couple of hours a day during peak heat hours. Of course, the battery bank won't run the air conditioner, but it is a silent, fume free way for powering everything else. The battery bank set up has worked well in cooler weather.

So, does it really get hot enough to need air conditioning on the playa if I have the trailer buttoned up against dust? I don't really want to sleep outside. I have already anticipated minimizing water use to avoid filling up the grey and black water tanks, propane won't be an issue, so all I am left with is the power question.
Regarding Texas: "There’s a vastness here and I believe that the people who are born here breathe that vastness into their soul. They dream big dreams and think big thoughts, because there is nothing to hem them in.”
― Conrad Hilton

KE5QOT
TexasRick

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Bringing my Casita trailer to the Playa

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:31 pm

You won't need air conditioning at night, because it's usually 50-70F at night, or colder. Temperatures are quite manageable in a trailer from about 6pm until the next morning until about 10am. If you try to sleep later than that, or take a mid-day nap, you will want the air conditioning on, because it will be oppressively hot inside.

One strategy that will help you nap without a need for air conditioning: have a travel alarm in some way shape or form (a phone, if you have a way to charge it, or battery operated, etcetera). Taking a "disco nap" from 6pm to 10pm is a good way to supplement sleep.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

:D
Hey Tex, welcome to ePlaya.

What you want is a tent over the camping trailer to keep the sun off it. And you want an air gap of at least a foot between the trailer and the tent so heated air can blow away before the heat migrates into the trailer. A canvas carport might work well for this, provided you tie it down very well. We talk about "Costco carport" around here, but there are many other brands. Be sure to get a good quality one with thick poles. Lots of info about this right here on ePlaya, going back many years.

With shading, my school bus never gets too hot.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

You won't want an air conditioner. You will want a swamp cooler. Not enough humidity for a ac to work right out there. Lookup threads on keeping cool on here.

Don't minimize water if you don't have to, use a evap pond with a towel bar/towel weaper. Easy as pie to make.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Jackass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm

With that much battery power you should be able to run a small circus for the week on batteries alone.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby maryanimal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi TexasRick and welcome! Go to the heating and cooling thread. Figjam has an easy to build swamp cooler or two. It's a good thread for swamp cooler information!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Jackass wrote:With that much battery power you should be able to run a small circus for the week on batteries alone.

Have you ever been to bm? It is a circus lol.
tattoogoddess

Postby mytripod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

oooh! Those Casitas are cool little trailers.
mytripod

Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby Jackass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Here you go

casa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Evaporative ("swamp") coolers work exceptionally well on Playa, because the humidity is so low. As humidity goes up, swamp coolers become less effective and eventually useless at high humidity.

Air Conditioning also works fine on Playa. Air conditioning has the wonderful side-effect of removing moisture from the air (and dripping it onto the ground outside, and under your car), which is exceptionally useful in humid climates but irrelevant on Playa.

Considering cost and generator noise, a small swamp cooler seems the way to go with a small camping trailer on Playa. Again, in combination with big shade.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 pm

TexasRick wrote:Too late for this year, but I'm going to come solo in 2015 in a 17' Casita trailer...

Is 2014 another one of those "Leap Years" that we completely skip?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Well it seems I'm outnumbered here but I'm gonna tell you the opposite of what most are saying: DON'T go with a swamp cooler!
Swamp coolers are terrific but they're best suited to tents and domes... not RVs, because they put out too much moisture. In an RV you want A/C.
Yes it definitely gets hot enough to want the A/C on, and in my opinion/experience, nothing beats being able to sleep in cold comfort during the hottest parts of the day, completely sidestepping all the suffering, and being all recharged and ready to play when it's cool and dark out!

If you have a pickup bed at your disposal to carry stuff, consider doing what I do: carry a few barrels of water (I use 33-gallon plastic ones because they're cheap and easier to manage than 55-gallon ones) and use an electric pump to refill your camper tank as needed.
Bring an extra empty barrel and use a five gallon bucket and funnel to dump your grey water into it. As you use up the water in the other barrels, you can use them for more grey water. Then, have all the nice hot showers (or cool ones) you want! On the playa, that's luxury! Screw the water conservation suffering crap! It's Burning Man, you're there to have a good time! Bring all the comfort you can! Why the hell not??
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby unjonharley » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Well I'll be damned,,

godamnit said something intelligent.. More comfort+more fun..
unjonharley

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

I find that if you have enough shade, and airflow, it's really quite comfortable enough to sleep. The lack of humidity helps that a lot, as the shade feels like shade.

I hate humidity. It's a reason I just love the playa conditions -- well, the "normal" playa conditions. I think that, despite being cooler, I'd actually be even more miserable with the clammy feeling of a swamp cooler, than without it in the shade.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm

You guys make a good point. I agree it is possible to get too much moisture from a swamp cooler, and then the clamminess begins to outweigh the cooling. A vital part of using a swamp cooler is to open a window of at least the size of the swamp cooler duct for air circulation which carries some of the moisture back out. A swamp cooler simply will not work properly without thru-circulation.

But I still say that adequate shade and air circulation makes cooling unnecessary. Mind you, I leave the windows open most of the time and just "embrace" the dust. YMMV

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:You won't want an air conditioner. You will want a swamp cooler. Not enough humidity for a ac to work right out there. Lookup threads on keeping cool on here.

Don't minimize water if you don't have to, use a evap pond with a towel bar/towel weaper. Easy as pie to make.

Absolutely untrue. Where did you get this information? Ac works anywhere, at any humidity level.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 pm

It is a hell of a lot more efficient in humid weather then the playa. It will work but not near as good as a swamp.
tattoogoddess

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am

Anybody consider all the variables here?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 am

tattoogoddess wrote:It is a hell of a lot more efficient in humid weather then the playa. It will work but not near as good as a swamp.

No, AC is not any more efficient in humid air. It might help eradicate the enemy-that-is-humidity from the area being cooled, but it isn't made any more efficient by the presence of humidity. Air conditioning can also be made to perform better than swamp cooling in all cases because it relies on a heat pump, so it can actually directly cool the air, not merely move some volume of moist air that then must evaporate in order to cool the surroundings.

Swamp coolers require special conditions in order to cool as well. Without sufficient exhausting of that moist air with drier air, the swamp cooler only serves to increase the humidity in an area, which in turn reduces the body's ability to remove heat through evaporation.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TexasRick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 am

RE: air conditioning vs. swamp cooler. Points made. Thank you for the input.

:D See you in 2015. I will be the grizzled old dude celebrating his 60th year on Earth on the playa.
Regarding Texas: "There’s a vastness here and I believe that the people who are born here breathe that vastness into their soul. They dream big dreams and think big thoughts, because there is nothing to hem them in.”
― Conrad Hilton

KE5QOT
TexasRick

Burning Since: 2014

Postby tamarakay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 am

TexasRick wrote:RE: air conditioning vs. swamp cooler. Points made. Thank you for the input.

:D See you in 2015. I will be the grizzled old dude celebrating his 60th year on Earth on the playa.

Welcome! There is no better place to celebrate
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:It is a hell of a lot more efficient in humid weather then the playa. It will work but not near as good as a swamp.

Do some homework before spitting out completely wrong information.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby maryanimal » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm

What is a casita trailer?

ETA: I googled it! I like those trailers!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Return to Shelter & Camping