"Chaffee" new shuttle build.

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

"Chaffee" new shuttle build.

Postby Sync » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm

[attachment=1]chaffee-views.jpg[/attachment]After building tiny single person mutants to get around in the past I decided to try for a real art car this year. I'm beginning to understand how art projects can get out of hand ; ) . Was originally going to get a cheap used golf cart and slap a few panels on it with some decorations. Well, turning out a bit different. I saw two other Star Trek Shuttles on the playa and decided to go for it. I'm going to chronicle the build in the hopes of passing along what I learn in the process. So, here's what the Type 10 shuttle "Chaffee" is supposed to look like and the base vehicle it will be mounted on;
Attachments
cobranside.jpg
150 cc dune buggy
cobranside.jpg (13.81 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
chaffee-views.jpg
Chaffee type 10 shuttle
chaffee-views.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Sync

Re: "Chaffee" new shuttle build.

Postby Sync » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 pm

[attachment=2]ctop.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]ctop.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]ctop.jpg[/attachment]The original pattern for the body was going to be based on a paper model pattern out on the internet. I figured a few sheets of coroplast could be used to up-scale it from paper to mutant size. I built one of the paper models, it was ok, but very simple. Then I remembered in 3d modeling programs there is a function that lays the skin of any object out flat for texture painting. So I decided to create a more realistic 3D model and have the computer lay out the pattern so it could be cut on 4x8 sheets of coroplast. Here's a sample of the 3D object, some of the pattern laid out, and the paper mock up of the computer Chaffee;
Attachments
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
chaffee_mat_engineSeat_1 copy.jpg
chaffee_mat_engineSeat_1 copy.jpg (13.2 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
ctop.jpg
ctop.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Sync

Postby Sync » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm

[attachment=0]IMG_0150.jpg[/attachment]The pattern for the shuttle was divided into patterns that would fit on 14 4x8 sheets of coroplast. It just so happened my son is in a special program that has a Shopbot. This wonderful computerised cutter proved to be the perfect lay out tool for cutting the panels. Here's one panel being robo cut.
Attachments
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Sync

Postby Sync » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 pm

[attachment=0]IMG_0152.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]photo-9.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]photo-9.jpg[/attachment]Next steps have been to bend the parts into shape, secure the shapes in place with duct tape, and then hot glue the seams and braces in place. Turns out you can glue coroplast, just takes the right industrial glue sticks and an expensive glue gun. The pics show the nose section taped together, then fully glued with the main body section beside it. Looks like overall when the pods are added the shuttle will be about 15 ft long.
Attachments
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
photo-9.jpg
photo-9.jpg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Sync

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm

That is teh sick. :)
Can't wait to see it all come together.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sync » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Working on the shell in installments each week. Basic body without the engin pods is almost complete. Dune buggy base gets here in a few days.[attachment=0]chaffee 3-3.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]chaffee 3-3.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
chaffee 3-3.JPG
Coroplast shell mostly complete
Sync

Postby burner von braun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Very cool Sync! I will enjoy watching your progress here, and if I'm fortunate enough see you on the playa, I'll replicate you a cold beer. I am already inspired by your pattern/shopbot approach to the project.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby renojeff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Very cool build. Why did you decide to go with a dune buggy base vehicle rather than a golfcart base?
renojeff

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Really fun to watch this come together, Sync! :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sync » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 am

I've been looking at base vehicles for a few years now. I wanted a duel use set of wheels so I can play with it off road when not at burning man. Ideal base would have been an Argo 8 wheeler, but way too expensive. Golf carts have some inhernt problems IMO. Electric just doesn't quite make it on the Playa. As much as I've tried with the two small electric MV I made so far, the amount of power needed for recharging and the charge times just make them a pain. Gas powered golfcarts just seem underpowered as well. I wanted enough power to tow other MV cars if needed (had this done for me one year and was grateful) or maybe be able to tow bikers or boarders. I also wanted a low profile to mount the shell on. The KIng Cobra cart I'm using is one of the only made that meets California clean air green sticker standards, and its relativly cheep compared to things like a Polaris or ATV. The shape of the roll cage also follows the general shape of the Chaffee, which will make bolting the shell to the frame eaiser. At the same time the engine is only 150 cc so it wont be too obnoxious on pollution or gas.

Buggy modifications for the Playa will be enhanced muffler system to make it quiet, performance air filter system for the dust,and a racing fan to make sure there is enough airflow in the shell. Lighting system is going to replicate "warp core" effect in the front and back of the engine pods, and several sets of computer controlled LED ropes. Amazing the stuff you can get cheep on ebay ;) .
Sync

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 am

Hmm, sounds like you need to think through vehicle selection a bit more... :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Sync » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I was thinking; there's this site called Kickstarter that web funds art projects with donations. Ther are a bunch of Burning Man projcts on the site already. Maybee ask for 2.8 trillion for an actual warp drive?
Sync

Postby SnowBlind » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 am

Sync wrote:Maybee ask for 2.8 trillion for an actual warp drive?

Just make sure you don't have a core breach...

SnowBlind

Postby Milayna » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

This is so cool! I'll be watching for it out there :)
Milayna

Postby Sync » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

OK, so getting the dune buggy took half-way to forever. The one shipped was a cheep POS, so had to be sent back to be replaced with another POS, but this one was fixable. The origional body for the shuttle was too long for the buggy body, so it was shortened from 12 feet to 10, the engine pods will have to be a little smaller as well, but hey, would have been delusional to think it was going to be perfect. The above pic is the shell just sitting over the buggy. The black lines are where the internal support struts are going to be, red area is where the doors are going. So far so good. Ordered a special K & N air filter to replace the stock filter on the engine. Last time I took a GY6 clone engine to the playa it choked out on the dust by Wed.

Next few weeks will be creating the internal structure out of layers of coroplast, and hot gluing/screwing them to gether. Cutting so much plastic with a knife was a real pain, so I went to harbor frieght and tool and bought a cheep hot knife. Wow, so much better. Cuts plastic like a a hot something or other through some kind of dairy product.

Latest brain storm is going to be putting 45 watts of solar pannels on top of the engine pods to keep the battery for the night running lights charged. Also have the parts for a 200mw green "Phaser" .
Attachments
build structure.JPG
Sync

Postby PhoenixFemmeFatale » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Wow! Your project is looking great! Is it completely enclosed? I couldn't tell from the pics... If it is, are you worried about it being too hot inside?
"I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice"
PhoenixFemmeFatale

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Sync » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

The doors will be removable, and there may be screens or removable window sections. Haven't got that far yet. Rear panel will probably include partial shade fabric, but have to weigh all this against shelter from dusting. Another possibility is build a fan into the shell. We shall see.

In other shuttle news; It had its first test flight....sort of. High winds this afternoon lifted the shell off the driveway and "flew" it several hundred yards down the street. No damage, good rehearsal for the playa.
Sync

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

From experience...Windshields/side windows SUCK! The dust will coat the glass and make it difficult to see through.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby beachlife » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Love the chronicles. looks bad ass. Scotty, beam me up to this mutant vehicle
beachlife

Postby Sync » Fri May 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Over the past few weeks I added the shells of the engine pods, the internal support structure, and cut and framed the main windows. An additional set of windows to give better visibility are going on the front sides. In the process of adding the top fixture, and doing minor fill ins and panels, such as fixing the wheel wells. Should be ready for basic painting undercoat in about a week. Going to wash the cloroplast in acetone, then spray with Krylon fusion satin pewter gray for base.
Attachments
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0174.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Sync

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm

That thing is looking awesome! You may also want to take a look at the Work In Progress thread. I love seeing creative projects come together.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 10, 2013 8:50 pm

bump so I can watch it build.. Great job, can't wait to see..
unjonharley

Postby Sync » Sun May 19, 2013 8:13 pm

"Work" has been progressing nicely. Here, the additional windows in the front have been added. Eventually, for the playa the glass will be removed so it doesn't attract dust and make for poor visibility. Krylon fusion was used to give it the Titanium gray look. Pods and a few of the decorations have been added. The decorative caps on the engine barrels are for transport. On playa the engines have an internal light show.

Had some problems with heat and the hot glue. Ship began to fall apart when the temp got above 90. Glue went soft and panels did not hold. Resorted to building an internal structure of PVC and screwing the coroplast on. Much stronger. Next steps are to add a few more physical decorations, then have my daughter the artist, bring the structure to life with a real detailed painting, then seal it all. After that the lights can start to go on and the dust proofing of the motor can be done.

Went to see Star Trek "Into Darkness". I joked to a friend afterwards that I was disappointed the shuttles in the movie looked so much better than the one I'm making. "That's true", he replied. But those shuttles are CGI. Yours is actually closer to being real. Bless his heart ;)
Attachments
Chaffee 5-20-13.jpg
Sync

Postby unjonharley » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am

unjonharley

Postby nilasnake » Tue May 21, 2013 4:44 pm

beautiful...can't wait to see it in the flesh.
nilasnake

Postby Sync » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:25 pm

[attachment=0]c3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]C1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]C1.jpg[/attachment]

A bit more progress. Pods have their special effect lighting, some of the painting is now done. 12 volt and 120v AC systems work, along with 2 gel cell batteries. Headlights, tail lights and solar panel work. Just ebay ordered a 1300mw green laser and a telescope motor mount that will become "Phaser" cannon remote servo directed from cockpit.
Attachments
c3.jpg
C2.jpg
C1.jpg
Sync

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am

Extra WoW!!
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 am

That's awesome, Sync!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 pm

The shuttlecraft is looking great Sync! I hope I spot it out on the playa at some point. Thanks for posting the WIP pictures here, it will make seeing it in person all the better!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby PhoenixFemmeFatale » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 am

Looking good! Well done!
"I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice"
PhoenixFemmeFatale

Burning Since: 2013