Special effects makeup on the playa?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Special effects makeup on the playa?

Postby haleigh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I was wondering how prosthetics held up in the playa weather. Specifically I'm interested in the following interestingly-gory garter look.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82159361/unpainted-gartered-legs-prosthetics?

Has anyone brought special effects makeup and prosthetics to the playa before? What was your experience like? Did it take a lot of maintenance? Did they stay put?

I'm trying to piece together some costumes and these look especially eye-catching. I think it would be fun to pair with something girly to create a stragely-cute, macabre vibe. Any other prosthetic suggestions/alternatives?
haleigh

Burning Since: 2015

Re: Prosthetics on the playa?

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:56 pm

This is a highly offensive and troll post. Please discontinue this behavior.

There are people who use prosthetics on the playa and a camp dedicated to supporting participation by alterabled people on the playa. They are an inspiration.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby haleigh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 pm

some seeing eye wrote:This is a highly offensive and troll post. Please discontinue this behavior.

There are people who use prosthetics on the playa and a camp dedicated to supporting participation by alterabled people on the playa. They are an inspiration.

I think you may have jumped the gun with that accusation. :? This type of special effects makeup is called "prosthetic".

If a mod would like, they could change my title to "Special effects prosthetics on the playa?" to avoid further confusion. I assure you I'm not a terrible person.
haleigh

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm

You are not understanding BM. It is not about searching commercial costume$ themes on the interwebs.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Virgin, kinky, young, nude, nurse? Is that you?

I've got a double sided prosthetic for you.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby haleigh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:22 pm

some seeing eye wrote:You are not understanding BM. It is not about searching commercial costume$ themes on the interwebs.

I apologize for giving a commercial example, but that was not the point of my post. I was asking what other burners did with their prosthetics, and how they held up on the playa. You can make your own prosthetics, which is what I was planning on doing (as 50$ for the "commercial" pair is a bit ridiculous). I figured with art being so central to the Burning Man event and experience, that there might be some makeup artists among the burning crowd - their advice is what this is aimed at getting.

I, of course, have the capacity to find costume ideas online, that simply is not what this post intended to do.
haleigh

Postby MacGlenver » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Sounds like a reasonable question to me... I dont know anything about them on the playa, but it's hot and dry. Dunno if that affects the glue/whatever holds them on. Would be a pretty freaky thing to see that out there. You might scare someone pretty good, especially if they're not quite in their right mind at the time.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby 9ah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Why wouldn't you just call it makeup effects? Being a nursing student one would assume you knew what a prosthetic was and understand that the far majority of the population would not associate makeup effects with a prosthetic...

Art may be central to some, music to others and the desire to get away from defaultia for yet another group (or maybe even most)...

It's great that you're prepping for your first burn 2.5 years in advance. As you said before you were turning to Reddit and other sites for your BDSM interests maybe consulting folks that use special effects make up more frequently may produce a more straightforward response. You could even update this thread with your findings after you have tested some of your special effects makeup in hot/cold conditions. A quick search turned up this site: http://www.make-up-fx-forum.com

Best of luck.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby haleigh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:52 pm

9ah wrote:Why wouldn't you just call it makeup effects? Being a nursing student one would assume you knew what a prosthetic was and understand that the far majority of the population would not associate makeup effects with a prosthetic...

Well, I made sure to explain what I meant in the text of my post. In my opinion, I was pretty explicit as to what I was talking about. But I get it. I'm going to take myself elsewhere. Just kinda sucks I've had such a rough welcoming here. I expected something more.
haleigh

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:02 pm

for the uninitiated treading the paths of eplaya can sometimes be a bit like navigating a minefield

don't worry. just pick up the pieces of your charred carcass and keep on moving. when you get to the other side you'll find it quite pleasant :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Special effects makeup on the playa?

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:48 pm

I've changed the subject to reflect the authors intent, which was pretty blatantly obvious from her initial post & the link, even if the subject line was originally a little misleading. God forbid someone not make all their posts absolutely crystal-clear around here...

Small sfx makeup shouldn't be a problem, just use really good quality make-up (like Kryolan) - I've spirit-gummed things to my head & had it hold up fine, but I was very careful in gluing them on & making sure they were well attached before I left camp. I'm not sure about larger pieces, but I'd worry about anything attached where there's going to be movement from your body, like the legs. Once the dust gets in there, it's just going to start pulling off.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Well, I made sure to explain what I meant in the text of my post. In my opinion, I was pretty explicit as to what I was talking about. But I get it. I'm going to take myself elsewhere. Just kinda sucks I've had such a rough welcoming here. I expected something more.

i think this is a case of "lost in translation"...

i think ( i'm just postulating ) that you may have been brought up in a rural conservative environment with strict dogmatic cultural practices.

you're almost alien.

im afraid the board sees this as being trollish, or ridiculous, when actually, you are painfully sincere.

my apologies.

i kinda started this when i hopped on you (no pun intended) in another thread.

forgive the Rough & Tumble, but honestly, most of the people on here are big softies who want to help you, as long as you are willing to help yourself.

you've put up with way more than most.

i applaud that.

dont run away yet, you still have two years to find out that we actually do hide golden kernals of corn inside heaping helpings of bullshit.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

No wonder the poor girl had her account closed. Just a little sfx blood in the water and the snarks go into a feeding frenzy.

Yes, I know, look who's talking...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Chowski » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow. The reaction to this person's earnest, totally non-offensive question is why I almost never post.

I like your Burning Man. It is so unlike your Burning Man ePlaya.

Sorry Fox lady - I wish I knew the answer to your question.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby unjonharley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Good make up base for the playa sun.. Colored zinc is new on the market.. Zinc is a old and great sun shield.. Good for dipper rash,,
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm not going to ask why you expect us to get diaper rash on our faces, unjon.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm not going to ask why you expect us to get diaper rash on our faces, unjon.

The . . . usual reasons.

Nothing weird.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Ok I can help here, finally I'm useful.

Those won't last to long. They are on a place that flexes a lot. You will be riding a bike,dancing ect. The reason SE last longer on say the forehead or hand is because they don't flex near as much as say the thigh, or shoulders. On the face the sweat is escaping so your not getting the spirit gum in tacky BUT it is getting trapped under and while not make the conditions ideal for wear.
Also when applying you are going to have to make sure the area is 109% dust free the same with the appliance. You will no get proper adhesion.
Another thing... That is a super easy prosthetic that would cost next to nothing to make if you had the clips and band. Latex cotton and blood. Tah dah! $50 is nuts!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby haleigh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Ok I can help here, finally I'm useful.

Those won't last to long. They are on a place that flexes a lot. You will be riding a bike,dancing ect. The reason SE last longer on say the forehead or hand is because they don't flex near as much as say the thigh, or shoulders. On the face the sweat is escaping so your not getting the spirit gum in tacky BUT it is getting trapped under and while not make the conditions ideal for wear.
Also when applying you are going to have to make sure the area is 109% dust free the same with the appliance. You will no get proper adhesion.
Another thing... That is a super easy prosthetic that would cost next to nothing to make if you had the clips and band. Latex cotton and blood. Tah dah! $50 is nuts!

Thanks for your input! I know it will definitely be a challenge, and that it might only last for a few hours - but I will try to make it work, at least one night of gory fun!

I agree with your point about cost. They sell them pre-painted for 70$!! Craziness. Definitely was going to try my hand at constructing my own. Thanks again! :D
haleigh

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm

If you need help on how to make them let me know. Ps... Your not really going to see them to much at night unless your in a well lit camp , it is pitch black out there for the most part and it is cold at night so shorts or undies are going to we wicked cold.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby sabalore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

9ah wrote:Why wouldn't you just call it makeup effects? Being a nursing student one would assume you knew what a prosthetic was and understand that the far majority of the population would not associate makeup effects with a prosthetic...

In the SFX & makeup world, they're actually referred to as prosthetics. In fact, there's "Prosthetics I, II, and III" courses at the SFX school here.

To the OP: no idea how well they'd hold up on the playa as I've never tried it, but I'd imagine you'd have better luck with smaller pieces. Between sweating in the day from the heat and the dust, I feel like they'd begin to fall off pretty quickly. Where you place them will be key as well, in terms of skin movement.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream." -The Last Unicorn
{{ BRC Resident 2010 | 2012 | ...working on 2013! }}
sabalore

Burning Since: 2010

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 am

I can't even get a bindi to stay on in the dust. But then, I scratch at them. I'd need a Cone of Shame.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am

AntiM wrote:I can't even get a bindi to stay on in the dust. But then, I scratch at them. I'd need a Cone of Shame.

Hhahahahaa! That would be brilliant with an animal costume.

I can't remember if I've ever seen anyone do that before, but it doesn't matter.

I brush on spirit gum to make a bindi stick. I also have to powder my forehead first and make sure it's very dry.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Clothing & Playawear