Burner Map App is Brilliant !!

Burner Map App is Brilliant !!

Postby HandJamMasterC » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 pm

This app to map where your friends are camped at Burning Man is absolutely brilliant !!

http://burnermap.com/
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Re: Burner Map App is Brilliant !!

Postby jkisha » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 am

Yes, it is.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby HandJamMasterC » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:45 am

I'd never seen it before this week.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby shroom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 am

nice!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby tamas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm

There is a rule in the universe, when there is a demand for something, then individual minds will come up with pretty similar solutions independently from each other almost at the same time. This theory was proven this time again; another application is started just 5 days before Burn Map with the same idea:

http://www.burningmancamp.in
tamas

Postby canexplain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Here is an up to date article on Burner Map.....Facebook is buying it....dated Nov 2012 but I didn't see a post here on it..It's about half way down the article...

http://www.burnermap.com/welcome.php
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Burning Since: 2013

Postby TomServo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 pm

How fucking CONVENIENT!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't like that it is part of Facebook. That alone will prevent me from checking it out... Too bad. {sigh}
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby ygmir » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Rice wrote:I don't like that it is part of Facebook. That alone will prevent me from checking it out... Too bad. {sigh}

seconded.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby canexplain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Yea the FB thing is why I posted it. Mixed feelings here about that. Want on the grid=FB.....
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 pm

canexplain wrote:Yea the FB thing is why I posted it. Mixed feelings here about that. Want on the grid=FB.....

I use facebook a lot, including Burning Man stuff. But it bothers me to be giving my FB info just to see if I am interested in what they have! As a result, I don't look...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm

canexplain wrote:Here is an up to date article on Burner Map.....Facebook is buying it....dated Nov 2012 but I didn't see a post here on it..It's about half way down the article...

Uhh.. where does it say that "Facebook is buying it"?

That's a simple embedded button to log into the system using your Facebook account and in no way signifies Facebook "buying" anything. All it does is use your FB contact list as a backbone to match you up with your other acquaintances that have done the same in lieu of having a much more complicated and cumbersome external registry/database. Think about it. How else would the system be able to automatically only match you up with people that you know?

I think some tinfoil hats need adjusting..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby canexplain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
canexplain wrote:Here is an up to date article on Burner Map.....Facebook is buying it....dated Nov 2012 but I didn't see a post here on it..It's about half way down the article...

Uhh.. where does it say that "Facebook is buying it"?

That's a simple embedded button to log into the system using your Facebook account and in no way signifies Facebook "buying" anything. All it does is use your FB contact list as a backbone to match you up with your other acquaintances that have done the same in lieu of having a much more complicated and cumbersome external registry/database. Think about it. How else would the system be able to automatically only match you up with people that you know?

I think some tinfoil hats need adjusting..

Sorry ran out of aluminum foil. Thank you wiki: tinfoil is used in electrical capacitors

I didn't post the real article. Seems some hats need a bit more of an inquiring mind....might just be me ......BTW they are going to try and expand to other festivals....

http://burnerlove.com/2012/08/21/facebo ... billion-2/
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

This is your earth shattering source??

I've also got some beachfront property to sell you in Colorado if you're interested and don't catch the sarcasm in that article.

Dr. Dre just bought some so you know it's good..

The even funnier part of this is that the article is poking fun at this exact thing.. burner paranoia about Facebook and how this must all be some kind of conspiracy.. :lol:

Hook, line and sinker, brother.
junglesmacks

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm with JS on this one.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby canexplain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Yea I have been hitting a number of sites and doing stuff all day. Lame excuse. You are totally right JS. Now I guess it's just a question of if you think it is fucked to have to use FB to use the app. Again sorry for the impetuous posting. Hey I have 6 months to make up for it :)
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 pm

:lol:

Nah.. I don't think it's "fucked up" at all. Again.. think about it. They need to have some way of matching you up with people that you know and since many people use FB, it's useful tool for things like this. How else would they do it? You put your info in.. and for whomever else uses the app that's on your friends list, it creates a registry and puts it on your map. It works great and kudos to those guys for putting it together.

People bitch and whine and moan about FB.. but you know what? I say THANK G*D for FB. It's a universal tool that (if you use it right) can bring friends and people together from all over the world and help keep people current in your life. I have friends all over the world from living in multiple countries and states and what not.. and if it wasn't for FB, then I would never have re-found old friends and/or stayed current with distant friends that enrich my life daily. For me, it builds stronger relationships and makes my life much more enjoyable. It's all in how you use it. Don't like privacy issues? Then use the universal rule of the internet: Don't post ANYTHING on the internet that you don't want shared. Period. End of story. Easy.
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Don't be that moron who parrots whatever they see without any kind of thought to whether it's real or not. The billion dollar buyout article (from last August) was pretty clearly a gag.

I'm with JS on the utility of FB. People bitch and moan, but the truth is they want the functionality yet are too fucking cheap to pay for a subscription service. That means in order to pay the bills they trade on user data. Same as Google and a zillion other companies trying to offer people crap for free on the internet. If you're carfeul about what you post and share, they're fine. Most people I know who claim to have been screwed over have been steotypical suckers, big on all the stupid social gaming apps, quiz apps, and every other silly thing where they opt to share all their stuff with companies they've never heard of.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby canexplain » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:11 pm

OK OK I said I goofed on the FB article. But.....FB doesn't offer anything I can't do without and I do find it somewhat intrusive if you HAVE to deal with FB in order for a site to work for you. I don't believe in ghosts, area 51, aliens, JFK conspiracy, etc. not paranoid at all I don't think. Things like the Freedom of Act though do bother me. "You don't have to worry if you don't have anything to hide." Well guess what, I can't think of a thing I need to hide but fuck them, they don't need to monitor me. Yea the RFI tags were cute at Bonnaroo. Do you want them at the Playa. It would be convenient for the planners, for the LEO in who is where. I bought my tic online with a credit card. Yea convenient. I was in the AF so "they" have my name and all of that already but now they can monitor just where I am if they want to. Hummmmm Just wondering .......
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm willing to pay. Depending on cost, of course. But I don't even know what the cost is, because we have this business model that sells eyeballs to businesses, not services to private citizens. It's all very well to say "don't put anything on line that isn't too personal" but people aren't wired that way. We perceive the friendship and the conversation not the potential eavesdroppers. Or many of us do. Anyway, I feel that fb and other social networking sites are pulling in two directions on intimacy, and it's inherently problematic.

Of course, in a few years*, they'll have personal web bots that can stop you from saying too much. Or something.
*Or decades. If we continue to have the sort of high tech, high energy sort of technological we do now.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 am

canexplain - so don't use it. It probably won't affect your festival tourist experience either way.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby canexplain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:48 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm willing to pay. Depending on cost, of course. But I don't even know what the cost is, because we have this business model that sells eyeballs to businesses, not services to private citizens. It's all very well to say "don't put anything on line that isn't too personal" but people aren't wired that way. We perceive the friendship and the conversation not the potential eavesdroppers. Or many of us do. Anyway, I feel that fb and other social networking sites are pulling in two directions on intimacy, and it's inherently problematic.

Of course, in a few years*, they'll have personal web bots that can stop you from saying too much. Or something.
*Or decades. If we continue to have the sort of high tech, high energy sort of technological we do now.

I have never used it, but they already have an app like that: Seems it stops you from posting really stupid things when you are trashed. Not sure how it could work. Geez if it were on my pc and i couldn't post stupid stuff, you would never see my posts :)
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 am

trilobyte wrote:canexplain - so don't use it. It probably won't affect your festival tourist experience either way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I say you just stay at Coachella a bit longer..
junglesmacks

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 am

FWIW I like BurnerApp... Although, I print the map out and kinda forget to put it in my day pack/where some folks live, but it's cool... You run into/find peeps.

yummy, marshmallowy peeps.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to 2011 Theme Camps