Going Alone...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Going Alone...

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 pm

I was going to go solo my first year 8) and I made all my plans as if that was was how it had to be. In the meantime I found eplaya, started participating 8) let me repeat: PARTICIPATING 8) instead of my usual "lurk and learn" thing 8) and, made friends. 8) 8) 8)

Grai's right about never going solo after your first year, but, I find plenty of time to wander off alone. 8) Well worth it. Best of both worlds.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Milayna » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 pm

I went solo this year, didn't know a soul that goes to the event, and like Savannah mentioned earlier, I didn't want to risk "convincing" someone to go who I would then have to take care of.

I signed up to camp in Hushville which is a village, because it seemed like at least being in a neighborhood type of setting would make it easier to meet people. I was right!! Within an hour or so I'd been adopted by a theme camp next door to me, and made lots of friends :D This year I'm camping with that same theme camp (still in Hushville) :)
Milayna

Postby Canoe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Milayna wrote:...I signed up to camp in ... a village, because it seemed like at least being in a neighborhood type of setting would make it easier to meet people. I was right!! ...

Glad it worked for you!
But, I wouldn't say your statement is right.
Even going solo, camping solo, someone would have to work really really hard to not meet people.
With the expanded footprint of the city, it would be somewhat easier to camp apart from others, but the second you're out moving around BRC, you're going to meet people... lots of people... all kinds of people.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Milayna » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

That's definitely true, I think that being in a village was more like a safety blanket for me, probably would have had the same friend-making success either way, but it felt less scary to already know where I was going when I arrived.
Milayna

Postby Canoe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

But it is great to have access, if they have it, to a kitchen and to SHOWERS!
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 am

If the showers work.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Shade before showers, or kitchen for that matter.
I actually hate showers on the playa, too cold when the breeze blows, too muss fuss in general, and there's always the question of evap ponds not working...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BeeWeeDee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

I went solo last year (my first burn) on a ticket purchased at the last minute - labeled an OMG ticket this year. My decision was affirmed while standing in the will call line next to a person who yammered on and on for almost 2 hours non-stop. One of those people who can talk while inhaling and who also had that piercing tone that carries above everyone else. Once free of the giant sucking sound associated with the center of the universe wannabee I found an open spot and pitched my camp. No fuss, No muss, No drama. Delightful neighbors, volunteering, sharing, and my own schedule made it as near perfect as I could have imagined.
"If you embrace change you'll love it forever." - Ratty
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby jcliff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Don't be worried about going solo....alot of us started that way. I went solo my first year and didn't know anyone who had ever been. I went as part of a village my first year and I'm really grateful that I did. I think being a part of established camp helps to grease the wheels on making connections.

Something that helped me out in my first year was going to scheduled events that I read about in the what when where guide that they give you at the Greeter's Station. I went to a lock-picking class, made a sock monkey, a trophey that I gifted to someone. I went to a camp that had you make a pizza for yourself and then one to gift to a random person (AWESOME!) I went to a yoga class, which I had never done (and haven't since.) I went on a scavenger hunt/art tour which was great fun. White-trash breakfast was a morning activity that took me out with a group of folks for a whole day of bar crawling. It's been a couple years since I've gone to any activities, but making this list has inspired me to get out there again this year. It's a great way to meet new people.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby 9ah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 pm

jcliff wrote:Don't be worried about going solo....alot of us started that way. I went solo my first year and didn't know anyone who had ever been. I went as part of a village my first year and I'm really grateful that I did. I think being a part of established camp helps to grease the wheels on making connections.

Something that helped me out in my first year was going to scheduled events that I read about in the what when where guide that they give you at the Greeter's Station. I went to a lock-picking class, made a sock monkey, a trophey that I gifted to someone. I went to a camp that had you make a pizza for yourself and then one to gift to a random person (AWESOME!) I went to a yoga class, which I had never done (and haven't since.) I went on a scavenger hunt/art tour which was great fun. White-trash breakfast was a morning activity that took me out with a group of folks for a whole day of bar crawling. It's been a couple years since I've gone to any activities, but making this list has inspired me to get out there again this year. It's a great way to meet new people.

I am going to keep track of this, Cliff.... especially since I know grape drank may be involved <3
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jcliff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

9ah wrote:
jcliff wrote:Don't be worried about going solo....alot of us started that way. I went solo my first year and didn't know anyone who had ever been. I went as part of a village my first year and I'm really grateful that I did. I think being a part of established camp helps to grease the wheels on making connections.

I am going to keep track of this, Cliff.... especially since I know grape drank may be involved <3

Hmm...mmm....consider yourself recruited. I think we would have many takers within our ranks.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby 9ah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Done, Cliff! I'll bate you with libations if you try to sneak off!
9ah

Postby mytripod » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I went solo my first year, and I'll be solo again this year since my sister couldn't make it. If you are comfortable with yourself, no biggie. You do have to be a little braver to meet people, since you don't have the "courage" of numbers. I had a ton of fun, but didn't see and do as much as I would have liked, mostly because I didn't have somebody to drag me back out when I was tired. For me, the hardest part of solo was having to assemble and take down my camp all by myself. That used more time than I would have liked, which is why this year I'm putting some serious thought in ahead of time for ways to cut my assembly/disassembly time down to leave more time for fun. Many of the great structures you see around the city are kind of labor intensive and needing many hands. If you go solo, keep that in mind when you plan your structure.
Meeting your neighbors is a key component of solo camping. Make friends with at least one of your nearby neighbor camps. And if you start feeling lonely, just take a walk around town and smile at people. You never know what fun lurks just around the corner. Or head over to Center Cafe and find a comfy corner to watch the ebb and flow of humanity. Strike up a conversation. And sometimes alone is just right, like sitting in the temple at sunrise, thinking about your life.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby moltensteelman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:01 am

Savannah wrote:

Note: Anyone you really have to persuade is likely to have a $&%# time out there. (Mind you, some friends only need to hear what you're doing to leap at the chance.)

I disagree with this statement, it took a lot of heavy persuading to bring me to burningman. People have been telling me I belong there since the mid 90's. My first year was 04 and now I'm there most years. My thought was always why pay money to go to a hippie drug festival in the dessert and have your couch be limited to five miles per hour. when I'm camping for free in a nearby dessert and can run the couch at 96 mph! After I had been there once I realized there was a lot more then just a big party. I know of other who have had the same misconceptions, so it helps to explain it in a way that makes sence to the person you are trying to convince.
moltensteelman

Postby Cath » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

I will most likely also be going alone this year (it will also my first Burn :D). I'm rather surprised, but my friends are simply not into it. I'm hoping to join a village, but am also considering the walk-in area. Any feedback on the pros and cons of walk-in camping vs village would be welcome.
Kat- I was wondering where you camped when you were there solo on your first year?
Cath

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Biofools

Postby fritz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am

I have never gone solo, but I think it would be great! Many of my favorite moments on the playa have been when I spend time wandering without my friends.

I would recommend that you find a home base befoere you go. A theme camp without much responsibility, orphan camp, or a village. This will give you a home base with familiar faces for comfort. Making friends within the camp may be great, but I would make a point to explore the city on your own. You will have amazing experiences doing whatever it is you feel like without obligations to others. When you want companionship, you will find it.

Also, the fact that you are even considdering going to burning man solo means you are already well suited for the solo experience. Go for it!
fritz

Burning Since: 2009

Postby 9ah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:23 am

Cath wrote:I will most likely also be going alone this year (it will also my first Burn :D). I'm rather surprised, but my friends are simply not into it. I'm hoping to join a village, but am also considering the walk-in area. Any feedback on the pros and cons of walk-in camping vs village would be welcome.
Kat- I was wondering where you camped when you were there solo on your first year?

Cath, you may want to start a thread specific to walk-in vs village camping or revive one that you find apropos...

I can only speak on village camping. I live in a village that requires us to work during the week, but I love it. I know there are folks that do not enjoy the commitment and a camp like this wouldn't work for them. If you are looking for a simple village where you have faces you know there are def options like Orphan Camp or Gypsy Witch Camp.
9ah

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:14 am

Hushville is a village where there's no work commitment.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Cath wrote:I will most likely also be going alone this year (it will also my first Burn :D). I'm rather surprised, but my friends are simply not into it. I'm hoping to join a village, but am also considering the walk-in area. Any feedback on the pros and cons of walk-in camping vs village would be welcome.

Walk-in Camping is a bit physically removed from the action. It's good for people who like their own counsel. You should be handy with rebar and a hammer. You won't be totally alone, but the camping is not very dense out there.

Here is a great thread about it.
viewtopic.php?t=39055

For your first year I would not recommend Walk-In Camping for most people. A village (or solo) is likely better. Hushville is quite densely laid out, by all accounts--lots of people--but has no amplified music or generators.

If you like physical space and decide to go solo, I would recommend camping on the outer streets but not too high on the clock (the sound camps like 10 and 2 o clock). Bring a bike . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby edbrez » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I'll be going solo this year and I think it has many pitfalls if you don't plan ahead well in advance, but also has the reward of complete freedom to be yourself or whoever you want to be during BM :)
Remove as many obstacles that could potentially ruin your week by planning everything meticulously. Definitely have a good read of the preparation section and make a list of the essential items you feel you need during the week.
As far as loneliness, I'm going with some great advice I got in the "Tips for Shy People" thread to help me interact with people

This is by Beachlife
- give compliments left and right, it puts me in a social mood. just make sure they are sincere.

- Hey, awesome hat.
- Love those boots
- cool outfit
- etc. of course assuming you do like their hat, boots, outfit

say it like you mean it, because you do.

If you're confidence is improving and shyness going away, try giving high fives, or hugs. Personally I'd *love* a hug from you! Could also try gifting something that you brought/made. Saying "Hello" to the person walking/standing next to you, or good morning to your neighbors are also good ways to combat shyness. If someone doesn't seem to receive your compliment/hug/gift - don't take it personally - they may not be ready for it, are having a bad day. who knows. As long as you're being sincere and genuine - that's all you can do.

For those who are looking for ways to get over shyness back in the default world. check out Toastmasters and/or an Improv class in your city. Lots of fun, and great and shedding shyness. There may even be an improv class or two on playa

I think volunteering is also a potentially very rewarding way to get the opportunity to meet people and also a nice way to give back to the community too :D
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Camp Name: Howzit

Postby Cath » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Having read various responses, I'm thinking a village would be better than walk-in camping, at least for me, and certainly for my first year. I'm self-sufficient, but I'm a pretty social person, and would enjoy volunteer opportunities. I don't mind music and people noise, although it sure would be nice not to have to listen to generators. I've been researching various camps and villages. Every one of them has cool attributes of one kind or another. Right now, I'm looking into Stag Camp, and liking the sound of it! AEZ is also appealing - seems to have a bit of a nerd vibe (this would be a good thing!), and no generators :D ! I'm going to a regional event next week, "Burningman for Beginners" in PDX. No doubt, I will come away with still more ideas :lol:
Cath

Camp Name: Biofools

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:48 am

Have a blast this wknd!
9ah

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks