ePlaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

FIGJAM wrote:You'll have to do better!

We're talkin REAL absinthe, Patron, and other top shelf liquors.

I usually bring "Bag-o-Steak"! 8)

I only had absinthe once but would like to try again. We ordered it online maybe 8 years ago. Poured into glass of ice through a strainer deal with a sugar cube on top. Seemed to be more drunk than normal, but my younger self bought into the "tripping out" theory that it was going to make me hallucinate, and it didn't. Wormwood? I don't know, not my area of expertise.

Fig.. you want some top shelf tequila? I know you'll be helping me figure out your bucket deal in a few weeks, so name your poison and it yee shall have!
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:13 pm

IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.

Hahah, awesome. I must have been pussy-footing around then. My cousin ordered it off the internet and that's what they said to do. It wasn't mixed with anything, just poured over sugar into glass with ice.

I'll have to observe and learn. I'll try your absinthe and you can have some tequila that I'll bring. Then we can have a Mexican/Swiss standoff
Earthwalker

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?
Earthwalker

Postby voiceinthedarkness » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:IMHO anybody who does the sugar cube, water, spoon thing with absinthe is a pussy. Straight shots (prefereably ice cold but they certainly don't have to be) are the real ticket. Not to mention a helluva lot simpler.

Doc, yer a philistine.
voiceinthedarkness

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Actually he's a potato farmer from Idaho and I am the masked avenger
Earthwalker

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm

are you also going to say I spread Vagimite on my biscuits?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?

I don't know if the properties attributed to absinthe were due to wormwood or crappy 19th century bathtub brewing techniques...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Earthwalker wrote:Is it actually supposed to be a hallucinogen via wormwood, or is that just old wive's tale?

I don't know if the properties attributed to absinthe were due to wormwood or crappy 19th century bathtub brewing techniques...

Haha, that's probably more like it. "here, have some absinthe I made in our 4 generation family household's bathtub. We only have one tub so we had to bathe in it while it fermented, but I do feel you will enjoy the hallucinagenic qualities that result from that...oh, and that spoon strainer will also serve to filter out any wayward pubes"

See pyro, the spoon filter DOES serve a purpose.
Earthwalker

Postby Patsh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 pm

ygmir wrote:

Vagimite, eh?

I don't think you'll need biscuits with that, Yggy... :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Triken wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Vagimite, eh?

I don't think you'll need biscuits with that, Yggy... :wink:

he he he he hehehehee
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby mytripod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I'd love to bring my Paul Revere doll and his convertible to the meet and greet to give some of your doomed barbies a last ride.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:21 am

It was thought that thujone was what caused them. But today's research shows that there is such small quantities that it will no promote a visual, in large quantities it will cause muscle crampage. The visuals of the 1900's were from subpar additives into the absinthe to be able to make it cheaper.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Milayna » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Ahhhh, and the question is answered :) I had my first taste of absinthe at the eplaya meet & greet last year, no sugar, water, and not even cold but it was still pretty delicious!! Thanks to Morrell for that! :)
Milayna

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Silli illy, kix are for trids!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 pm

illy dilly wrote:For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.
I'm thinking I'll make them at home the week before the burn. Pre cut them into like 1"-2" cubes. Then vacuum seal them.
Since the only thing in the treats that can really spoil is the butter, I'm looking at finding an alternative. Maybe some sort of oil. Also, saw some recipes that use peanut butter. But I'd hate for some with a peanut allergy to get sick.

Another option is, vacuum seal them, then freeze them solid. Which I might try some time over the next few months to see if freezing them gives them a weird texture.
Then Wednesday just pull them out of the cooler and let thaw. Then open and put on a serving plate.

Veggie oil works great.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Every time I see the title of this thread, my brain adds an improper emphasis to the word "doing", as in:

Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you DOING? . . . Oh, my God! SOMEONE STOP HER. Get a Ranger! GET ANYONE.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:48 pm

VultureChow wrote:
illy dilly wrote:For the MnG I think I'm going to make a pan or two of rice crispy treats with either Fruity Pebbles or Trix.

Veggie oil works great.

The Veggie Oil wouldn't spoil either right?
Since it just sits in a bottle in the cabinet, I figure it must not spoil. If that's the case, then refrigerating wouldn't be necessary at all?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 pm

illy dilly wrote:
VultureChow wrote:

Veggie oil works great.

The Veggie Oil wouldn't spoil either right?
Since it just sits in a bottle in the cabinet, I figure it must not spoil. If that's the case, then refrigerating wouldn't be necessary at all?

Veggie oil will eventually go rancid, but we're talking on the order of months, not days or weeks. And it's more of a flavor thing than food safety. I'd still keep it in a less than sweltering space, but it could probably stay fine at room temperature.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!
I'll still try freezing some just to see how they taste when they thaw... Purely for science! I will not eat an entire pan of rice crispy treats.

MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?
illy dilly

Postby Patsh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm

illy dilly wrote:Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!
I'll still try freezing some just to see how they taste when they thaw... Purely for science! I will not eat an entire pan of rice crispy treats.

MacGlenver wrote:Rice crispy treats never spoil, regardless of ingredients or packaging.

You don't think the butter in them will get nasty if they're not refrigerated for 5 days?

Then again, you could make them with butter, NOT freeze them, but keep them refrigerated 'til you leave for the Playa, stick them in your cooler (well sealed) until Wednesday, and if there are any left by Wednesday, take them to the M&G. Butter is unsurpassed by any oil for the proper flavour for rice crispy treats!

"for the proper... for rice...."
sending immediately to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Triken wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Sweet! Rice Crispy treats it is!

Then again, you could make them with butter, NOT freeze them, but keep them refrigerated 'til you leave for the Playa, stick them in your cooler (well sealed) until Wednesday, and if there are any left by Wednesday, take them to the M&G. Butter is unsurpassed by any oil for the proper flavour for rice crispy treats!

"for the proper... for rice...."

I think this is what I would try--keeping 'em reasonably cool and wrapped tight.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Savannah wrote:Every time I see the title of this thread, my brain adds an improper emphasis to the word "doing", as in:

Eplaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you DOING? . . . Oh, my God! SOMEONE STOP HER. Get a Ranger! GET ANYONE.

as if..........anyone, would say that. c'mon, worst case we'd point and laugh., or form a circle of protection/admiration.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 am

It ought to be on the back of the ticket! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

illy dilly wrote:

I was kidding. By my standards, almost nothing goes bad. I suspect 5 days in the heat will not be great for them. Listen to everyone but me :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Elorrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Triken wrote:"for the proper... for rice...."

Here is a supplementary bulletin from the Office of Fluctuation Control, Bureau of Edible Condiments, Soluble and Indigestible Fats and Glutinous Derivatives, Washington, D.C.:

Correction of Directive #943456201, issued a while back concerning the fixed price of groundhog meat. In the directive above named, the quotation on groundhog meat should read “ground hogmeat.”
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Patsh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Elorrum wrote:
Triken wrote:"for the proper... for rice...."

Here is a supplementary bulletin from the Office of Fluctuation Control, Bureau of Edible Condiments, Soluble and Indigestible Fats and Glutinous Derivatives, Washington, D.C.:

Correction of Directive #943456201, issued a while back concerning the fixed price of groundhog meat. In the directive above named, the quotation on groundhog meat should read “ground hogmeat.”

hehehee...

8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps