Help please easy to construct shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Help please easy to construct shade structure

Postby 5tan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am

Hi all I was just wondering what would be the best form of shade structure for me to bring.
As I'm traveling from the uk it will probably be best for me to pick something up when I touch down state side.
As I'm traveling g Alone and have a rv what sort of thing would others sugest.
2 Weird 2 Live 2 Rare 2 Die
5tan

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Help please easy to construct shade structure

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am

No offense intended, but:

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Haha, nice pic. I swear to god the longer I'm on here the more I understand why you guys post pics and say things like that.

MH is best option IMHO anyways
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby 5tan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:No offense intended, but:

i think not !! preparation is key

i like the idea of a so called monkey hut but i was thinking of something a little more convenient. rather then me spending a day running round trying to get parts to construct such a structure. i have tried to find out via eplayer and google but i think what we call things hear in the uk translate different when it comes to the us.

i was toying with the idea of an old parachute and a few sand bags but am unsure if it will stand up to playa winds.
5tan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 pm

I think the monkey hut fixings aren't going to be any harder to find than parachute and sandbags(?wtf).
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Parachute, no. They are literally designed to catch the wind.

I fly in from the east coast, so while my travel might be a bit shorter, I have similar shade issues.

You have four options:

1) Find a camp with a communal shade structure that will have you and just chill there.
2) Buy a commercially available shade structure, like an ez-up when you get to Reno and reinforce the ever-loving shit out of it.
3) Construct one at home and ship it out.
4) Construct one at home and fly with the connectors and possibly the tarp. For example, with the monkey hut, you'd have the pvc connectors, tarp and bungee balls. Then just buy the larger pieces and a hacksaw in Reno. Plenty of people have done that.

FYI, regardless of what you do, you will be running around like a farking maniac in Reno to get everything.

Also though the monkey hut is a spectacular design for shade, there are other options that might not be as efficient, but might be easier to construct or ship on the fly.

I'm working on a scaled down version of one of Figjams designs that will use ect that I load in my tent pole bag.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Rice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 pm

5tan wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:No offense intended, but:

[img ]http://uphillwriting.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Spoonfed_Baby.jpg[/img]
i think not !! preparation is key

i like the idea of a so called monkey hut but i was thinking of something a little more convenient. rather then me spending a day running round trying to get parts to construct such a structure. i have tried to find out via eplayer and google but i think what we call things hear in the uk translate different when it comes to the us.

i was toying with the idea of an old parachute and a few sand bags but am unsure if it will stand up to playa winds.

There are 70 Mile Per Hour winds on the playa! (sometimes less, sometimes more - but everything I set up is geared for at least that high)

That is not a good idea. Your parachute will blow away and probably hurt people and maybe get blown into the windshield of a $100K RV.

We talk about foot long reebar tent pegs for a reason!! Please research "eplaya securing shade"...

Here is a eplay thread about what the wind can/has do: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=587637

{eek!!}

Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby 5tan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

i have the parachute from previous festies in the uk and i can bring that with me.

although there is no point in bringing it half way across the world to not use it.

as for the monkey hut yea great idea and i agree prob wont be hard to get the parts, but what i don't want to end up doing is buying tools to cut the pipe etc as i wont need a massive structure for myself..

how would a couple of large fishing umbrellas or a fishing tent fair on the playa
5tan

Postby 5tan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 pm

i missed the rebar out i was planing on using the bar as pegs like all suggest but sand bags to help stop it flapping in the wind.

my initial post was unclear my apologies :D
5tan

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Had to look up the fishing umbrella thing. Someone else brought up a similar product. All of those thin connector and hinges are just begging to be destroyed in the wind.

If you're going to try and rig something on the fly, try camo netting rather than the parachute. It won't catch the wind nearly as bad.
VultureChow

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Shade never goes to waste. A well constructed monkey hut and a case of beer is enough to start a party out there.

A hacksaw at home depot is like $6-$10.
VultureChow

Postby Rice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

5tan wrote:i missed the rebar out i was planing on using the bar as pegs like all suggest but sand bags to help stop it flapping in the wind.

my initial post was unclear my apologies :D

No worries :)

It is difficult to visualize the wind being that intense, but seriously - it IS!!

(a sand bag might be flipped around if there is a large wind gust... ) cutting holes in your parachute to allow the wind to pass may help, I have personally never used a parachute in the 6 years I have attended. (I did take one down several years ago, but decided not to use it - since I could not comfortably secure it.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 pm

VultureChow wrote:Had to look up the fishing umbrella thing. Someone else brought up a similar product. All of those thin connector and hinges are just begging to be destroyed in the wind.

If you're going to try and rig something on the fly, try camo netting rather than the parachute. It won't catch the wind nearly as bad.

5stan, VultureChow is suggesting something like this. (I don't know anything about this retailer, mind you, nor am I recommending them specifically):

http://www.camonettingstore.com/

The wind can get through it, so there's less of a risk of it flying away, once staked down.

My neighbor in 2008 had camo netting, and it survived 2 bad storms. I'm sure technique had a lot to do with that, as well as using his vehicle as a windblock in addition. Prevailing winds are from the SW.

[media]

I looove the guys asking everyone "Have you seen my cowboy hat?" He knows perfectly well that no one has. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think the monkey hut fixings aren't going to be any harder to find than parachute and sandbags(?wtf).

Hahaha, well said
Earthwalker

Postby maryanimal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:39 pm

If you buy your pvc at home depot, they'll happily cut the lengths for you. And get a little saw just in case you want to adjust the size. They also sell rebar in 10'-20' lenths, but they won't cut those. They sell rebar in sizes under 3' in length. I'm wondering if Gorilla duct tape would be better though? It's a lot stronger. :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:26 pm

If you want to do it ghetto style, you can stretch a tarp off your car and rebar it into the playa. I did that my first year after my crappy ez up was mangled the first day. Was pretty awful but hey, it was CONVENIENT! :)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Boijoy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Don't RV's come with a shade?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Some RVs do come with a pull-out awning. That would be worth investigating with a rental company. It might also be worth checking to see if all models on the lot have an awning, or just some of them, because I suppose it's possible to show up and find that they are giving you one Without when you wanted one With.

However, these awnings can not be left down when one is out of camp, or during a windstorm. ePlayans have reported that these awnings are not sturdy.

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 pm

PVC cutter!

For about $10 you will love this thing! 8)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_331921-943-37100.UPP6_0__
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TT120 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 pm

We got one of these tools at work and I never knew what it was till I clicked on your link Figjam. Thanks man! :D :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm

I always suggest burners who fly in join a camp with infrastructure like shade, shower and some sort of kitchen. There is certainly a place for a camp of 1 or 2 with their own shade and seating out front. But it has always been more fun to me to be in a camp of 5-500 with those shared resources. As an international participant, and first timer, you are a welcome addition to a camp or village.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I always suggest burners who fly in join a camp with infrastructure like shade, shower and some sort of kitchen. There is certainly a place for a camp of 1 or 2 with their own shade and seating out front. But it has always been more fun to me to be in a camp of 5-500 with those shared resources. As an international participant, and first timer, you are a welcome addition to a camp or village.

That's definitely worth pursuing.

Sometimes a person with an RV and a person with a tent and shade structure can band together to help each other out. Perhaps the tent camper gets a windblock (park the RV South of the tent) and the RV dweller can share the shade.

It's good to communicate about running any generator first (hopefully only during the day) and if there are exhaust fumes, making sure they do not overwhelm anyone.

Savannah

Postby Martiena » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I come from Canada to attend B.M. I spent a good year reading every piece of information out there, before my first ( solo ) burn. I read years back on eplaya and links to all over the web. It was great. I learned so much, not only for self reliance at B.M. but in the default world too. I paid way too much for extra luggage, but I had what I needed, except for rebay, hammers etc. The peace of mind ( knowing I could build my own shade structure etc. was worth the expense. ( But that's what worked for me ) Being self reliant is part of my makeup.
I ordered aluminet. It is wonderful stuff. Great shade ( it comes in different weaves, and accordingly tighter weave, denser shade.) When I arrived in Gerlach, there were a very nice couple selling it for much less than what I paid for it. They drove up from California to sell to the burners. I bought more from them.
I had rented a Suburban, and pitched my tent right next to it. I then secured the aluminet to the luggage rack on top of the vehicle , stretched it over my tent, and secured it behind my tent. The last part was more difficult.
I had shade, a small amount of privacy, and after drinking a few liters of Gateraid, was thrilled. I wasn't aware of how much fluid I lost during my escapade.
This was the first time I had ever pitched a tent. If I could do it...almost anyone can. Read, study, and read some more, until a common thread of ideas becomes clear. I would fall asleep thinking about that shade structure... I loved thinking about anything B.M. so I was happy. :D
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
Martiena

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 pm

That is a wonderful story, Martiena. :D

Savannah

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 pm

go to any website that sells tents. Search "sunshades" see if they look like they can be well attached to the ground.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm

FIGJAM wrote:PVC cutter!

For about $10 you will love this thing! 8)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_331921-943-37100.UPP6_0__

The common MH design includes 1.25" PVC and I believe that thing only cuts up to 1". I've been using a mini hacksaw. Works good enough I suppose, but I wish the cuts were straighter. Would help if I had a vice or something to hold it while I cut
Earthwalker

Postby 9ah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Just a tent... or a tent within a tent. :coffee:

this is an OLD video (so don't go trying to make a mud pit, please)... watch around 11:00-11:50 to get a basic understanding of the wind, although they get a lot harsher at times. Most folks don't understand how strong the winds ramp up out there:

[media]
Last edited by 9ah on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Martiena wrote:I come from Canada to attend B.M. I spent a good year reading every piece of information out there, before my first ( solo ) burn. I read years back on eplaya and links to all over the web. It was great. I learned so much, not only for self reliance at B.M. but in the default world too. I paid way too much for extra luggage, but I had what I needed, except for rebay, hammers etc. The peace of mind ( knowing I could build my own shade structure etc. was worth the expense. ( But that's what worked for me ) Being self reliant is part of my makeup.
I ordered aluminet. It is wonderful stuff. Great shade ( it comes in different weaves, and accordingly tighter weave, denser shade.) When I arrived in Gerlach, there were a very nice couple selling it for much less than what I paid for it. They drove up from California to sell to the burners. I bought more from them.
I had rented a Suburban, and pitched my tent right next to it. I then secured the aluminet to the luggage rack on top of the vehicle , stretched it over my tent, and secured it behind my tent. The last part was more difficult.
I had shade, a small amount of privacy, and after drinking a few liters of Gateraid, was thrilled. I wasn't aware of how much fluid I lost during my escapade.
This was the first time I had ever pitched a tent. If I could do it...almost anyone can. Read, study, and read some more, until a common thread of ideas becomes clear. I would fall asleep thinking about that shade structure... I loved thinking about anything B.M. so I was happy. :D

Other than the aluminet part, that sounds like my life recently: obsessing about BM and falling asleep with visions of my yet-to-be-covered monkey hut in my head. Except I talk to my MH.

"Someday you'll get a cover like a real monkey hut, I swear buddy. Now be a good monkey hut and go sit in the corner you dirty little fuck. What did I tell you about talking back? You want me to slap that ass again? Don't make me take off this belt...I'm warning you! There there, that's a good monkey hut. I'm sorry, i'm sorry. We'll be fine. You'll get your cover and we'll both roll of to the northern Nevada sunset together....I love you monkey hut, like the son I never had"
Earthwalker

Postby TomServo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Parachute, no. They are literally designed to catch the wind.

ANY flat surface...like maybe a TARP, will catch the wind.
The trick to Parachutes, is WHERE they catch the wind!
Unless you plan on using a parachute sideways, they work fine.

Oh...and FUCK ALUMINET! It's not worth the money!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping