Import Taxes to Nevada

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Import Taxes to Nevada

Postby DJ_Matou » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:20 am

Hi burners

i am searching around how to get my homebrewerd beer :coffee: (<-- this is a beerstein not a mug) to the playa. I intend to send a package with DHL (a german logisticx enterprise) to a hotel in Las Vegas where i spend the night directly after arriving there.
So i try to figure out, how many beer i am allowed to send over, and - if at all - how many tax to pay. I found http://tax.state.nv.us/ and would like to send these people a request via eMail, but it seems that they really do not own computers, eh?
Do i have to call (overseas in a callcenter) or really snailmail? is there a convenient way to contact them?

Wondering
Matou
DJ_Matou

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: probably Lost Souls Camp

Re: Import Taxes to Nevada

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 am

You might run into problems...here is what I found.
http://billybrew.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer

You really might consider having it brewed here!..to your exact specifications and ingredients, of course.. Probably by some eager beaver burner in Las Vegas or Reno.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 am

Usually there aren't taxes on importing alcohol for personal use at the state level if the quantities are relatively low. For larger quantities, i.e. enough to arouse suspicion of commercial sales, you may need a license, but I doubt that you're sending that much beer. Some states have weird laws to superficially undermine commercial sales of home-brews, such as Utah's ridiculous maximum of 5-bottles that can be transported at a time; however, I don't think Nevada is one such state.

While I'm not a lawyer, I think you'd be fine just having it shipped to that hotel and take it from there without worrying about licensing or state taxes.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby DJ_Matou » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 am

I am thinking about sending 5 gallons, what gives me 20kg of weight, what is the maximum fitting in one box (or the next and biggest size would be 30 kg, so 7 gallons) - is this a small amount or ... who knows ? i have found out a tax rate of some cents for malt drinks and maybe 25 cent for a gallon for wine and beer or so on, depending on alcoholic strength - it would not be the problem to pay 2 bucks more for the package (that disapears under the total production and shipping cost :oops: ).

Maybe i should try shipping to the hotel (they also get service charge for that :evil: ) without worrying, bbadger - eventually it is no rocket fuel (ok, in comparison to bud light it indeed is :roll: )

It seems to be much easier (and cheaper) to bring a car or motorbike to and from the states than some liters of beer. :shock:
DJ_Matou

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:22 am

With the Granholm vs Heald ruling, the Supreme Court made it possible for people order alcohol, specifically wine online and have it shipped direct to their homes.

You might be able to ship it to a private Residence, if they Order it... Not sure on the fine details. Having hauled beer out of Buttweiper, I do know that THEY have to pay taxes on every can and bottle before they leave the Brewery. But...You're not them! :)

TomServo

Postby BBadger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 am

I figure if you can get it shipped through customs you're good to go so long as there aren't any state transportation laws you might be violating (such as in Utah).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

You shouldn't be worried about the taxes as much as trying to send 20kg of anything in the mail. International shipping rates are notttttt cheap..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

I'm thinking along the line of JS. You probaby wouldn't encounter any legal or tax issues, but you're going to be paying a LOT of money to drink your own beer. I'm sure it's great beer (i mean, you are German), BUT, and this may just be me, it doesn't seem at all worth it.

We all have our taste preferences, but, you'd be amazed at how many super quality breweries there are on the west coast. The portland/Oregon area has some of the best (Mirror Pond, Full Sail, etc) . There are some good ones coming out of NorCal (Russian River, Lagunitas, Pyramid, and so on). And then there's my area of San Diego. If you like IPAs at all, SD has got to be the king of the West Coast IPA. There are so many quality breweries here it's amazing.

Not to be one of those people that says "meh, your idea is off, here's what you really should do". But personally, I'd say: why not come here and have some beers you've never had before? Stop in Reno at a larg liquor store and grab a bunch of West Coast brews.

But I understand that you may want to gift your beer which I'm sure is great and you put a lot of your heart into.

Best of luck
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

Hi, DJ_Matou,

I just called the NV Department of Taxation and spoke with the person responsible for alcohol. She told me it was allowable for my acquaintance in Germany to mail 5 gallons of beer to me for my personal consumption at Burning Man. No paperwork or fees would be required.
You may want to check with US Customs to make sure that they are OK with it though.

If it turns out it's cost effective to send your brew, I'm "local" to Burning Man and can offer you an address in Nevada to ship it to, in exchange for a small taste :D .
Take care.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DJ_Matou » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

@earthwalker the idea in shipping my own beer is indeed to bring a spcial Gift for you playa folks. This is my art, the 500 year old beer purity law craftet to something awesome and given to the community :-) of course I would drink some west coast beers, I sooner had the possibility to taste some decent brews of usa and canada... Breckenridge shiner .... man, OK, I ... hmm ... yes... I found a liquor store with some German beers in Vegas but we will see.
@weatherman nice, thanks for calling and getting the info. Maybe I will come back to your offer and send some stuff to you, then we will share on the playa - I am also on contact with orphan endorphine camp, they have a special place for home brewers.

I will post when I have it a final camp . Then come over for a drink!
Cheers Matou

It really costs a lot of money to ship that stuff... I hope you all appreciate that :D
DJ_Matou

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

DJ_Matou wrote:It really costs a lot of money to ship that stuff... I hope you all appreciate that :D

I think many of us are impressed when an international person attends the Burn at all. If someone came to me and said "Sav, there's an amazing art festival overseas . . . you've got to bring everything you need, you probably won't know anyone and the climate is punishing, but it's fantastic" I think it might be many years before I got up the nerve to attend.

So yeah, shipping beer from Germany is pretty cool. If it were me, I'd work "Homebrewed in Germany, by me" into every conversation. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby DJ_Matou » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Savannah wrote:So yeah, shipping beer from Germany is pretty cool.

Selfmade of course. Cooler, i think

If it were me, I'd work "Homebrewed in Germany, by me" into every conversation. :lol:

I already had similar thoughts in my mind, i'll take this as an very serious advice of a respected veteran burner - YES MA'AM
:mrgreen: my mates told me: BM does not mean BeerMan tough :mrgreen:

i'll keep a pint cool for you :wink:

there's an old saying here:
Hopfen und Malz erleichtern die Balz

So this is not because i do not like the lokal stuff, it's my contribution to the community.
DJ_Matou

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 pm

A few years ago I shipped some items home from overseas. At that time there was no duty if it "was a gift". No time to research it now, but for international participants it might be worth looking in to.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
DJ_Matou wrote: If it were me, I'd work "Homebrewed in Germany, by me" into every conversation. :lol:

It will drive the Lederhosen partisans wild...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

DJ_Matou wrote:@earthwalker the idea in shipping my own beer is indeed to bring a spcial Gift for you playa folks. This is my art, the 500 year old beer purity law craftet to something awesome and given to the community :-) of course I would drink some west coast beers, I sooner had the possibility to taste some decent brews of usa and canada... Breckenridge shiner .... man, OK, I ... hmm ... yes... I found a liquor store with some German beers in Vegas but we will see.
@weatherman nice, thanks for calling and getting the info. Maybe I will come back to your offer and send some stuff to you, then we will share on the playa - I am also on contact with orphan endorphine camp, they have a special place for home brewers.

I will post when I have it a final camp . Then come over for a drink!
Cheers Matou

It really costs a lot of money to ship that stuff... I hope you all appreciate that :D

Understood. And I'm sure people would be VERY grateful. And that is very gracious of you to even consider doing this. A real treat for whoever gets to sample it!!!

good luck sir
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Understood. And I'm sure people would be VERY grateful. And that is very gracious of you to even consider doing this. A real treat for whoever gets to sample it!!!

So much of the experience of burningman is based on this extravagant sharing. I wish I could describe it, but it's like the hall of Hrothgar or something, magnificent and foolish all at once.
The logistics of some people's gifting is simply astonishing.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby DJ_Matou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 am

It seems that Delta changed their overweight policy a bit backwards, so now it looks as i can get another suitcase with me with a very special inner life.... :wink:
DJ_Matou

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am

Also you should be concerned what happens to you homebrew when it sits somewhere at 100f / 38c for a week or so..
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby TomServo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am

not a beer drinker?

TomServo

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

Homebrew actually holds up pretty well out there. I wouldn't leave it out in the sun, but anywhere shaded should be fine. Ice is even better.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am

yes there is ice, etc at the event. I was thinking about transport time and sitting on a loading dock somewhere.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

True. Most imported beers probably go through the same process though, or worse.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby DJ_Matou » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 am

Now i have to play "Wheel of Fortune"
either sending a Box via DHL to my arriving hotel (with chance for my beer to get a sun tan like mentioned above)
or giving up a second suitcase when flying in and getting it not through security somewhere....

well i have to choose one death which i have to die from ... or so

(i just am translating silly german sayings, what is shomehow pretty much fun. but that is another topic)
DJ_Matou

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 am

Leave the phrases in German, it's nicer that way!

I would go with the flight... Check between connections if possibly to make sure your bag was put on the next flight (depending on your layover time)... You could also fly into SF so you have a direct flight and out of Reno, when weight and liquid will be less of a concern with transport.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby DJ_Matou » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:28 am

9ah wrote:Leave the phrases in German, it's nicer that way!

Jawohl, gnädige Frau!
I would go with the flight... Check between connections if possibly to make sure your bag was put on the next flight (depending on your layover time)... You could also fly into SF so you have a direct flight and out of Reno, when weight and liquid will be less of a concern with transport.

I fear that they x-raying the fluid out of the suitcase.
They are watching sharp, and there is possibly a different view on the term "as a gift for personal noncommercial use" - sh*t happens, and i have to drop it off in munich before entering security area.

it seems my stuff is indeed really dangerous ...
DJ_Matou

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 am

DJ_Matou wrote:

Jawohl, gnädige Frau!

They are watching sharp, and there is possibly a different view on the term "as a gift for personal noncommercial use" - sh*t happens, and i have to drop it off in munich before entering security area.

it seems my stuff is indeed really dangerous ...

danke, mein liebster!

Is it illegal to check that much on a flight, if it is indeed beer? I had a German guy couchsurf with me a long while back and he brought some German beer with him, granted it was only a few bottles (he somehow ended up at Burning Man after her left NYC).
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Leave the phrases in German, it's nicer that way!

Vor gebrauch sprengkapsel einsetzen.

Be 100% before you board that plane! If you need to mail it, mail it... But being in trouble with our border polezei may be more than you bargained for.

TomServo

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

DJ_Matou wrote:

Jawohl, gnädige Frau!

Well it'll be in your checked bag, which you can even transport (unloaded) firearms within if properly declared. I would therefore check with your local airport to find out what policies they have with regards to transporting liquids.

BBadger

Postby Rice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 pm

BBadger wrote:
DJ_Matou wrote:

Jawohl, gnädige Frau!

Well it'll be in your checked bag, which you can even transport (unloaded) firearms within if properly declared. I would therefore check with your local airport to find out what policies they have with regards to transporting liquids.

The rules are different if you are not from the USA!!!

Assume you are going to have problems. I personally would not bring it in my luggage, but ship with courier. I do not like to have suprises when entering the US! and this would probably cause you problems... (worst case, denial of entry!!)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Well I wouldn't try bringing in firearms, but probably the worst that can happen with the beer is that you have to pay extra duty on it. Still... who knows if the airline will allow it anyway because of the pressure effects on the liquids, etc. Shipping 5 gallons of beer or whatever the amount is going to be pricey though.

BBadger

Next

Return to Transportation