Heyo! Two First Time Burners from LA

Heyo! Two First Time Burners from LA

Postby admiralburner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Hey Everybody!
My lady and I have been thinking about Burning Man for a long time and finally pulled the trigger for 2013.
We're based in LA currently, but lived in SF for 6 years.

I'm a filmmaker with a huge hobby of super 8mm film. I've been thinking about putting together a projection show, but am so new I don't want to get ahead of myself.

My lady is excited to ride bikes and experience the art.

We're going to be traveling in a station wagon and am thinking about using BMX bikes since they are easy to get, cheap and easier to transport.

We're also planning on staying in a tent, but am open to suggestion if it's better to sleep in the car.

We have no camp as of yet, but would love any help in finding a good group of kind people.

Any comments, concerns, or advice would greatly be appreciated!
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
admiralburner

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: looking for a camp!

Re: Heyo! Two First Time Burners from LA

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Welcome, good sir. Let me the first to say "hello". (hopefully I click submit before Savannah, so that can be an accurate statement).

This will be my first year as well. You may be tempted to dismiss my advice, since I've never been. I can tell you one thing, I research like a MoFo! My personal advice is, if you are staying in your own "camp", and have any sort of knowledge on how to put things together (experience with Legos counts), then build a monkey hut for shade http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/ Put your tent under it, park your car blocking the wind, and your level of comfort increased drastically with very minimal effort. You can of course create much better shade structures, but this will be by far one of the cheapest and have the biggest bang (dirty dirty earthwalker, i'm just on a roll today) for your buck.

In terms of a camp, look on the BM website for a listing of all of last year's theme camps. They'll post this year's in a few months. Find one you like and email them and see if you can join.

But, even if you don't join one, I think you'll still have a blast. Since most people seem nice and friendly, you'll likely create something of your own hood with your neighbors.

Like the avatar
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Welcome you two - great advice Earthwalker! You might just be a "stealth" virgin. Admiralburner, you may want to connect with the LA regional board to make some connections beforehand. Read the Survival Guide and the First Timers Guide. You can answer very specific questions by using google - just add +eplaya to your keyword.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Welcome, good sir. Let me the first to say "hello". (hopefully I click submit before Savannah, so that can be an accurate statement).

:lol:

Hi Admiralburner! Welcome.

What you decide to do depends on your ability and inclination. There's nothing wrong with sleeping in your car (plenty of people do it) but a station wagon might be pretty cramped. You could use it for storage (because your stuff will take up more room than you'll imagine) and pitch a tent North of your vehicle and then you would have more options. When you look for a tent, get one with as little mesh as possible and sew the rest shut or use spring clamps and fleece to block the mesh. The dust is like baby powder, and it wants to love you.

Earthwalker's right about monkey huts, and that's a good link. They are reasonably inexpensive, fairly tough, and not too difficult to build. Do a test run in a park or back yard.

As far as joining a camp (which is totally optional) take a look at the 2013 Theme Camps forum on this board. There will be more posts in a month or two. Most camps close by May or June, some don't. If you camp with a group, make sure you like their mission and that you feel comfortable with whatever commitment is required.

You will also want to meet local Burners--you might find kindred spirits to camp with.
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca_la.html

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby admiralburner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for all the info!
I think I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to make a hut of some sort.
I'm pretty resourceful so this monkey hut looks like a great start.

I'll start lurking around the camp forums.

If we don't find a camp, how are you divided up when you get there?
I mean do you just get put along side anyone who is around?

Thanks!
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
admiralburner

Camp Name: looking for a camp!

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Welcome! Like others have said look into camps that you feel comfortable with and check out regional events. You don't have to say yes to the first camp you see and showers aren't as fun on the playa as they sound.

If you go the monkey hut route, don't use noisy blue tarp, night winds make it sound like a train wreck. Last year I shared a shade structure with a friend/campmate, he has a pretty nice setup that he brings down. I lived in a 3-4 person tent with a full size air mattress comfortably. All components of the shade/camp (minus my two cooler bins and tent) came up in his car so it's possible to live like a king in a tent. Someone moved in behind my tent (the one with the Kelty cover over it) so there was a little more shade in the mornings. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for shade this burn, but I'm never in my tent after 9:30am...Even when bedtime is sunrise.
Attachments
1bm26shade.jpg
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm

9ah wrote: showers aren't as fun on the playa as they sound.

Then you're just not doing it properly.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Also, not to tout a competing brand (jk) but if, in addition to "ePlaya + monkey hut" (or whatever else) searches, you also do "tribes + monkey hut" you'll get some good info. I've never used Tribes, and find it annoying to look through, but there is also good info on there.

Definitely don't use a blue tarp b/c they are crap, but many seem to think a tarp in general is fine.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm

admiralburner wrote:If we don't find a camp, how are you divided up when you get there?
I mean do you just get put along side anyone who is around?

At Gate, they tear your tickets and briefly search your car for stowaways and obvious contraband, like fireworks or live plants. One step beyond that is Greeters, where they give you a map and a What/When/Where guide. The map is also released in June or early July. Use the map to pick an open spot in a non-Theme camp area.

When you find a spot that looks okay, talk to any close neighbors to avoid misunderstandings, and watch out for stages, large speakers, & obvious bars or clubs. These will be loud . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Just too much effort to end up dusty again...I do like the steam bath though. I swear by Sunday (gate) I was covered in dust.

I just dug up my Tribe log-in... Apparently I thought that was cooler than ePlaya when I started researching for the burn, although I hadn't logged back in since 2009... Eeeek.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Tribe was pretty damn cool in it's long past heydey...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!