Welcome, from Chicago:

Welcome, from Chicago:

Postby Blueschaser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 pm

First-time Burners Jill & JP. We've got years of practice camping, frolicking, and festing in glorious parts of this wonderful world. Thankfully just stumbled upon Burning Man due to a random YouTube suggestion about 6 weeks ago. We are both beyond-description-excited to have been successful in the ticket lottery. Jill's a communications consultant by day (hello: BRC Gazette?) and animal shelter volunteer by night. Me: bartender by night, and work for a wonderful outfitter by day that most of you likely patronize: Think 3 letters, locations nationwide, and whose CEO was just nominated as next Sec. of Interior!

Sufferred a last-day, last-run ski crash in Winter Park the day before registration began that left me with 2 ankle fractures. Sooo I've been lucky enough to spend hour after hour, and day after day, perusing the website. And nowhere near finished yet either! Is this THE BIGGEST website ever??? Every page ignites new ideas, either for gear or for gifting. The pile has already begun. We can't wait to join in, see you in 6 months!
JP

I wash with gasoline, and then I play with fire Lil' Ed
"I wash with gasoline, and then I play with fire.">>>>Lil' Ed
Blueschaser

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Welcome, from Chicago:

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Jill & JP! :D

"Is this the biggest website ever???" :lol:

Feels like it, doesn't it?

Yeah, there's an amazing amount here. My favorite trick for searching this behemoth is to google a keyword + eplaya and then click More results from eplaya.burningman.com » and see "Wow, there are quite literally 13,100 results" (of which at least a dozen will probably be helpful).

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Asquared » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Welcome!!

OMG, two ankle fractures sounds like the worst possible injury, ever! will you be tip top in 6 months?

and uh, hello employee discount! :wink:
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Pffffffft! Two ankle fractures...

There is the Black Rock Bacon/Beacon, and the Black Rock Weekly... Eric writes for the latter. I'm still hoping to say something clever enough to get quoted there...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: ankle injury

Postby Blueschaser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Asquared: That ankle better be good by summer! Hell, I'm planning on skiing in Whistler 3rd week of April. The Doc may make me change my mind before then, we'll see. (Will have been 9 1/2 weeks of healing time.)

And yes, the gear discounts aren't just good>>>they are INCREDIBLE!
Blueschaser

Postby 9ah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Welcome Jill & JP. There's definitely a plethora of useful info and knowledgeable folks around these parts.

best of luck with your planning and don't go crazy on any of the advanced slopes in April!
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Blueschaser » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks, 9ah!

I'll leave the diamond runs to Jill (they're a girl's best friend, true?) and likely content myself with the blues :cry: while in British Columbia. UNLESS I make a miracle recovery and find I can ski full bore 6 weeks from tomorrow!

You a skier also? New gifting idea: my air cast; in a village of 50K, someone's likely to need it, right?
Blueschaser

Postby Blueschaser » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Crypto:

Gotcha....I now realize that pales in comparision. Ya got a lovely way with words!
Blueschaser

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Blueschaser wrote:Thanks, 9ah!

I'll leave the diamond runs to Jill (they're a girl's best friend, true?) and likely content myself with the blues :cry: while in British Columbia. UNLESS I make a miracle recovery and find I can ski full bore 6 weeks from tomorrow!

You a skier also? New gifting idea: my air cast; in a village of 50K, someone's likely to need it, right?

Forget the air cast, unless you want it for yourself. You can have a bone set for free at Emergency Services near Center Camp (unless it's a really complex case that needs pins or other treatments, in which you are off to Reno to spend all your money). The medical stuff you are most likely to want in camp: Electrolytes. Aspirin. Liquid bandage. Neosporin. Band-aids. Tender tape/Coban. Antacids. Medicines for going to the biffies too much, or not at all. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby 9ah » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Blueschaser wrote:Thanks, 9ah!

No, I leave that to my mom... She's the snow bird/ballerina. I have to remind her nowadays that she's not a ballerina. Silly kids! Trying to get into snowboarding. Make sure Jill doesn't go wild and crazy trying to reenact something like this:

(I went to this premiere and admit this guys are bat shit crazy for some of the stuff they did on video and spoke about at the screening)

[media]

Savannah is right, unless you need it, you'll likely be find gifting to to someone in your local community.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Introduce Yourself!