bike lights

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Re: bike lights

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:CAn we get a visual on "miner's lettuce"?

careful what you ask for...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Eric wrote:careful what you ask for...

I'm just glad no one referred me to Uncle Google.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Does anyone know a good place to get those chaiser necklaces? That one website has $25 min and min $10 shipping. I don't really need 15 of them
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BBadger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Sadly, unless you can find them locally, it'll usually cost you more per necklace, even sans shipping costs, to get them via eBay or Amazon. Even in junglesmacks's link, the cost per necklace is nearly double. The best thing to do is to consolidate multiple peoples' orders into one large purchase, especially when the 10% off discount comes up. Our orders would normally be about $100 or so, across 4x or so people, so the discount cancelled out the shipping. Maybe someone here could organize a group buy and reship them out to the various people.

I also found that I wanted multiple necklaces because I could string them together (I'd use 3x per wheel), give some away, and also because some would break. Often I'd be too lazy to swap out the batteries, so I'd just end up tossing the battery-depleted strand into the bag and grab a new one instead of replacing batteries. After the event I could go through the battery swapping as needed. You'll have to weigh the costs of what you want and what you want to pay.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 pm

So using 3 per wheel? That would put us at 12 which would get us to the 25 bucks anyways. Was thinking they were a bit bigger.
tattoogoddess

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm

For that price, I would just go with those LED bike spoke things from Wally World.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BBadger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Oh here we go. You can get them from DealExtreme for about the price you'd get them from Extreme Glow -- but with free shipping. Clearance, so they're cheaper, but they might be supply-limited. Beware that shipping from DX takes a LONG time, so expect up to a month before things arrive, but they generally do a decent job. They don't appear to be the exact ones EG sells (the switch appears to be axial to the necklace), but they probably function and connect the same.

Remember that they're the length of necklaces (~50cm), and also need to feed through between spokes. Two would probably work fine; I used three because I wanted all three colors running at the same time. I think I put only one in the front wheel as a short hoop.

Here are three connected to each other:

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby some seeing eye » Fri May 31, 2013 7:44 am

[media]

Kickstarter project "Monkey Light Pro". Older versions have been seen at BM. Wonder if the designer is a participant?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri May 31, 2013 8:35 am

Yeah I saw that on fb. They look awesome!!! I'm thinking about getting an older pair next year, 140 on lights is out of the budget this year
tattoogoddess

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

I festoon my bike and myself with a variety of blinky lights, el wire, etc. I've discovered that a small 2-AAA cell handheld flashlight works great when I need to flash it at someone coming up broadside to me...or wave it at a MV to ensure they see me. You can't do that with a fixed light.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 am

dragonpilot wrote:I festoon my bike and myself with a variety of blinky lights, el wire, etc. I've discovered that a small 2-AAA cell handheld flashlight works great when I need to flash it at someone coming up broadside to me...or wave it at a MV to ensure they see me. You can't do that with a fixed light.

you can also do that with a cranially carried light assembly..just glance over at the MV
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

EspressoDude wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:I festoon my bike and myself with a variety of blinky lights, el wire, etc. I've discovered that a small 2-AAA cell handheld flashlight works great when I need to flash it at someone coming up broadside to me...or wave it at a MV to ensure they see me. You can't do that with a fixed light.

you can also do that with a cranially carried light assembly..just glance over at the MV

True this...except that I often wear some kind of hat or head gear that doesn't wrap around the hat very well or gets in the way of the light's beam...but, yes...it's an alternative to be considered.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby daft » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 pm

bike light front, dork torch, two red hot blinkies in the back, and EL if I can find my zip ties in time
daft

Postby Eddaytona » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Full sized Hokey Spokes are awesome. They "talk" to each other. You turn on one and all the others on a wheel come on and sync up. They are Playa proof. They have pre programed designs or you can program letters. Two work fine but three are really great. Right now they are $20 each only available at the Hokey Spoke web site. I just changed out the batteries after a year. Didn't need to but getting ready for August.

For front headlights I get a few white $5 ones from China off of ebay. They work great too and are very bright and last forever. They can be set to on, blink, strobe.

Rear red blinking lights are also the cheap ones from ebay. They have 4 different patterns.

EL wire is pretty cheap now and lots are on Amazon. Just wrap and weave a few different colors around the frame starting from under the seat to secure the battery packs. A small under the seat bag can hold all of the packs. If you weave them right there is no need for wire ties.Make sure you avoid wrapping over any brake or gear shift cables if you have that kind of bike.

I also have the fiber optic handlebar streamers. Just be careful that your bike doesn't fall over or you'll break them off.

This year I glued (hot glue and a dab of fabric glue as back up) a set of flexible "silver wire" led lights around the spokes up against the rim for more (more more more) fun. Wire tie the battery pack to the hub and feed the lead up a spoke to the rim. Blue and Green are really bright. Red less so but still nice. Available on Amazon for a few dollars.

Of course I am not on my bike all the time so I also have a cheap 7 led light for my head that has elastic straps for around and over my head. They can be adjusted up and down and can be set to flash too.

Downside is it takes a while to turn everything on and off. Upside is that besides being visible on the Playa, when you park your bike in the middle of thousands of bikes it is super easy to find again.
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.
Eddaytona

Postby Eddaytona » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 am

Eddaytona wrote:Full sized Hokey Spokes are awesome. They "talk" to each other. You turn on one and all the others on a wheel come on and sync up. They are Playa proof. They have pre programed designs or you can program letters. Two work fine but three are really great. Right now they are $20 each only available at the Hokey Spoke web site. I just changed out the batteries after a year. Didn't need to but getting ready for August.

For front headlights I get a few white $5 ones from China off of ebay. They work great too and are very bright and last forever. They can be set to on, blink, strobe.

Rear red blinking lights are also the cheap ones from ebay. They have 4 different patterns.

EL wire is pretty cheap now and lots are on Amazon. Just wrap and weave a few different colors around the frame starting from under the seat to secure the battery packs. A small under the seat bag can hold all of the packs. If you weave them right there is no need for wire ties.Make sure you avoid wrapping over any brake or gear shift cables if you have that kind of bike.

I also have the fiber optic handlebar streamers. Just be careful that your bike doesn't fall over or you'll break them off.

This year I glued (hot glue and a dab of fabric glue as back up) a set of flexible "silver wire" led lights around the spokes up against the rim for more (more more more) fun. Wire tie the battery pack to the hub and feed the lead up a spoke to the rim. Blue and Green are really bright. Red less so but still nice. Available on Amazon for a few dollars.

Of course I am not on my bike all the time so I also have a cheap 7 led light for my head that has elastic straps for around and over my head. They can be adjusted up and down and can be set to flash too.

Downside is it takes a while to turn everything on and off. Upside is that besides being visible on the Playa, when you park your bike in the middle of thousands of bikes it is super easy to find again.
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.
Eddaytona

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination