DON'T PANIC

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

DON'T PANIC

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:37 pm

DON'T PANIC!!

Plan to go. You will get a ticket if you are determined...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Re: DON'T PANIC

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Those letters aren't friendly enough...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Those letters aren't friendly enough...

DON'T PANIC

is that better??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Can we get a gif?
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby AwesomeSauce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

AwesomeSauce

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Chowski » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

That's funny. I thought signing on at 12:00:17 was being determined. I am, however, relieved to know that I am still in the "Queue" over three hours later. If Burning Man were as horribly mismanaged as Burning Man's ticket sales, the playa would be a smoking crater by this point.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Chowski wrote:That's funny. I thought signing on at 12:00:17 was being determined. I am, however, relieved to know that I am still in the "Queue" over three hours later. If Burning Man were as horribly mismanaged as Burning Man's ticket sales, the playa would be a smoking crater by this point.

Hehehe!!! :)

I was wondering how long it would take for the "...horribly Mismanaged..." posts to appear.

A while back I waited about 6 hours (in the "queue") to purchase a tickets. (2010 I think)
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Chowski » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Well, you certainly won't be hearing any complaints from the directed-sales winners. It must be nice to be radically included.
Chowski

Postby pink » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 pm

In 2010 it took me 7.5 hours to get a ticket. I did holiday sale. I thank my credit score for my high credit limits. :D
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Chowski - just think how much more difficult the process would be with another 10K users trying to get through the servers.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby socks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

After 4 1/2 hours in line I got the ticket. Don't give up
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby BurnerBunny » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm

I haven't purchased tickets since green man a few years ago. I bought them easily enough at the 2nd or 3rd tier price, I can't remember but I do remember it was no stress and weeks after sales opened.

I panicked the entire 2 hours it took me to get a ticket! but have it now and totally relaxed and ready to start planning my hammock filled shade structure, hexayurt with AC, and toaster oven station. woohoo!

i don't blame bad management or any of that, as a web developer I know how hard it is to handle thousands of simultaneous users. Merely a sign of increased demand since the last time I went. We'll see if they sell out ahead of time this year.
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah, until that first sellout it was never an issue. Glad to hear you got through.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby deadpoint » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi friends,
I missed the preregistration, so I hope for the STEP,
What do you think is it difficult to get a good place in the queue to get tickets fast?
How long time it would need to get two tickets through STEP?
Need do have plan the trip so it would be very helpful to have tickets..
see you
deadpoint

Burning Since: 2013

Postby lucky420 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm

My daughter and I got 2 tix through STEP last year. Sign up as soon as it opens. It is first come first serve. I got my tix in March and she got hers in May/June. We had signed up separately.

It is a great program but who knows how many tix will be available. That will depend on how many people find they can't go and sell back through the program...

Good luck and sign up the day it opens.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Rice » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm

deadpoint wrote:Hi friends,
I missed the preregistration, so I hope for the STEP,
What do you think is it difficult to get a good place in the queue to get tickets fast?
How long time it would need to get two tickets through STEP?
Need do have plan the trip so it would be very helpful to have tickets..
see you

Depends on the number of ticket up for grabs on STEP... I know everyone who was on STeP last year got tickets, so your chances are good :)

Plan to attend, a properly motivated burner will be able to get their hands on tickets prior to BM starting. We even had spare tickets come available in my small region up here in Canada, so no worries.

It is a really good idea to book your time off and start getting your gear ready now - Read the Survival guide and Newcomers guide a few times Quite a few of your questions have been asked already - so if you use Google add the word "eplaya" to your search phrase and you will probably find what you need.

good luck!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby deadpoint » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 pm

ok... that sounds great... thanks for the info :-)
deadpoint

Postby TT120 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Last year, about 2 weeks before the burn there were at least 20 to 40 tickets for sale on Craigslist just here in the Sacramento area. I ended up getting a pair for just over half face value ($420). There were LOTS of people that couldn't go for one reason or another and tickets were almost falling out of the sky.

Don't panic, make your plans, keep the path. You'll get tickets. :wink:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby PL_FL » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am

I have my tickets, but I have some friends who were not as lucky. They are going to do STEP. Do they need to pre-register in some way, maybe create a 'burner profile' ?? Not sure. Thanks in advance.
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am

PL_FL wrote:I have my tickets, but I have some friends who were not as lucky. They are going to do STEP. Do they need to pre-register in some way, maybe create a 'burner profile' ?? Not sure. Thanks in advance.

Everyone else who has purchased a ticket thus far has had to create a Burner Profile, so I suspect it will be necessary for STEP users. (The Profiles page states: "If you want to participate in one of our ticket sales, you must have a Burner Profile.")

http://profiles.burningman.com/

STEP opens on February 28, 2013 at noon PST. Starting this date buyers will be able to register for STEP (registration process forthcoming).

More info in the STEP Frequently Asked Questions.

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#step
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby PL_FL » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks Savannah - I'll be telling them to do the profile. It couldn't hurt. And yeah, I saw that 'registration process forthcoming' thing as well, but I'm getting weirded out, I mean it's less than 3 days from now. That's cutting it a bit close..
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Postby Rice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 pm

DON'T PANIC!!!

Getting onto STEP:

If you have not created a Burner Profile: http://profiles.burningman.com/

Create your profile, you will get an email confirmation to activate the profile (if you dont see one, check your spam filter)

Once you have a active profile, go to the same URl: http://profiles.burningman.com/ and select the # of tickets you desire, enter your profile info & go from there....

Good Luck!!

Remember: Don't Panic! All you do is burn energy & get stressed for no reason....
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for posting that info Rice. But now it's a matter of waiting...and patience is not something I have much of.
(I'm still not a fan of the "new and improved" ticketing process. It seems like each year BMHQ finds a new way to take the hassle and frustration level up a little bit higher.)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:06 am

Yes.. SHAME ON YOU, BMORG!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 am

Kinetik V wrote:Thanks for posting that info Rice. But now it's a matter of waiting...and patience is not something I have much of.
(I'm still not a fan of the "new and improved" ticketing process. It seems like each year BMHQ finds a new way to take the hassle and frustration level up a little bit higher.)

Any possibility that it's actually "It seems like each year BMHQ falls further behind on the race to keep the hassle and frustration level from creeping up"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Kinetik V wrote:Thanks for posting that info Rice. But now it's a matter of waiting...and patience is not something I have much of.

Any possibility that it's actually "It seems like each year BMHQ falls further behind on the race to keep the hassle and frustration level from creeping up"?

It's not a possibility, it's reality.

I'm sitting here thinking back to all the ticket debacles of years past and despite moving into a fancy new HQ, getting new staff with new ideas, yadda, yadda the same complaints keep being made. And feedback seems to get one nowhere...they truly are falling behind more and more.

Meanwhile...I'm looking over at Stubhub...their tickets are tempting.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby fritz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:15 am

Kinetik V wrote:Meanwhile...I'm looking over at Stubhub...their tickets are tempting.

I say this as a friend: "Shut your f***ing face about Stubhub and simmer down!" Grab your timestamp and get on board the STEP train. It may take a while, but it will work out for you. In a worse case scenario (won't happen), over priced tickets will still be available to you in August. I hear you on the frustration, but be patient.
fritz

Postby Kinetik V » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am

fritz wrote:
Kinetik V wrote:Meanwhile...I'm looking over at Stubhub...their tickets are tempting.

I say this as a friend: "Shut your f***ing face about Stubhub and simmer down!" Grab your timestamp and get on board the STEP train. It may take a while, but it will work out for you. In a worse case scenario (won't happen), over priced tickets will still be available to you in August. I hear you on the frustration, but be patient.

I'm not a doctor therefore I see no patients and have no patience. (Sorry, that's lame but I couldn't resist.).
When you have to try and schedule things the not knowing when or if tickets will come through is marginally tolerable at best. Which is why Stubhub got bookmarked. Let's hope that such drastic steps of paying up to 4x face value is not necessary. I'll give STEP 4 months but if nothing's changed...the debit card comes out and off I go.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby 9ah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 am

Hold on.. Let me get this right... You've been to the burn over the past 10 years and you:

1. Don't see that supply is lower than demand? I'd assume there are well over 80k that want to attend the burn.
2. Haven't realized that selling out in 6hrs is still much longer than many popular events and concerts (Glastonbury sold out in less than a minute, Tomorrowland in a second -literally, Beyonce tickets in NYC were gone in a minute -on Stubhub before they were purchased)
3. Believe that you will not find ANY other ticket through a burner connection you may have?
4. Are willing to shell out $600+ for a ticket that may not even be valid
5. Are willing to shell out $600+ for a ticket that isn't guaranteed to arrive before the burn (or at all)
6. Offered BMOrg some really amazing solution as to how they could distribute tickets to an audience of possibly 80k+, that isn't the lottery of yesteryear, that will make everyone happy although many still won't get a ticket the first time around?

I'm just trying to understand why you are so GungHo about buying an overpriced ticket that might not exist/be valid...

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Last year's ticket threads were actually much angrier.

The reviews for the process this year have been considerably better. So far. I guess we'll see.

I'm glad you acknowledge that part of it is your impatience. That is a constant. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion