Custom Sized Tarps

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Custom Sized Tarps

Postby El_Waiboi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

I have been looking online for custom sized tarps and have only seen very expensive prices! I am looking for a tarp for a odd sized shelter, I want the tarp to be 44Ft x 4ft 6inches. Any ideas on the best place to get this? Thanks in advance!
El_Waiboi

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Custom Sized Tarps

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 am

Strange size indeed.

You may look at getting a 44 footer and cutting/reinforcing/stitching/grommeting it yourself. You could possibly take it to a local upholstery shop and have them do it for you for a nominal fee.

Or, just live with the extra size. A quick search on a common auction site found a 15'x54' silver tarp for under $75.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

Your best (and most cost-effective) bet is to adjust the size of your project to fit an available size. Trimming it yourself rarely works with plastic tarps, and only on canvas tarps if you've got an industrial sewing machine and grommet tools available.

It's probably also worth pointing out that most tarps are a good 6" shorter than the advertised size (sometimes a bit more). The advertised size is based on the raw cut, and in the process of 'finishing' some of the material gets folded over itself on the edges.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe it's just me, but my first thought was to take the idea and go to Helen Waite and see what happens.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby El_Waiboi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks to the first two responders, your ideas are appreciated.
El_Waiboi

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am

seems there are "carpet runners" and such, about that width, and stuff painters use to protect hallway carpets and what not.

"shelter"? you making tents for boa constrictors?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 am

anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mojo812 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am

You may be able to get a used billboard in your area. They are 50 feet long by 15 feet wide. Sometimes they will give them away if you tell them you are covering equipment or things with it. wink wink Usually they just ask that the ad is not showing or can be painted over. These are easily trimmed and grommets can be placed as needed. the material is a heavy ripstop vinyl about 15 mil.
Ain't no bones in ice cream
mojo812

Burning Since: 2006

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 am

mojo812 wrote:You may be able to get a used billboard in your area. They are 50 feet long by 15 feet wide. Sometimes they will give them away if you tell them you are covering equipment or things with it. wink wink Usually they just ask that the ad is not showing or can be painted over. These are easily trimmed and grommets can be placed as needed. the material is a heavy ripstop vinyl about 15 mil.

THIS.. is a VERY good idea. Billboard material is some seriously kick ass stuff. I didn't even think of this. You could easily cut and re-stitch down to your needed size..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby mojo812 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am

No stitching required. Contact cement and a foldover is all you need. Nice and easy.
Ain't no bones in ice cream
mojo812

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 am

Also, if you have $$$, there are shops all over the country who make and repair tarps for truckers. They should be able to fix you up. Try the Yellow Pages.
And there are non-trucker tarp-tent-and-awning shops, like Goodwin-Cole in Sacramento, CA. (I hope they are still around.)
But yeah, there are less expensive ways. Match your poison to your wallet.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby El_Waiboi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am

GREAT ideas guys!! Thanks!

I think I am going to check out the used billboard idea, I'm glad I asked here because I never would have thought of that!

And LOL @ making "tents for boa constrictors"! I am actually making a climate controlled dog house for my 3 dogs. The side of my house and a 6 ft block wall are about 4 ft apart and about 44 feet long, and those will be the walls. There is cement on the ground and I layed real thick soft carpet on it and I am installing a nice evap cooler for them. I just need a roof, hence my question for an odd shaped tarp!

(P.S. - I live in Phoenix, AZ; so this dog shelter is designed more to to keep them cool in the hot summer than to keep them warm in winter.

Thanks again for all the great replies :)
El_Waiboi

Postby El_Waiboi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh and BTW - I had never heard of Burning man when I stumbled upon this page, but I gotta say that it sounds pretty damn awesome, and something that's definetly going on my bucket list!
El_Waiboi

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Shelsys.com does custom work on their cheap tarps.

Billboard stuff works too for your application.
It isn't all equal.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

El_Waiboi wrote:Oh and BTW - I had never heard of Burning man when I stumbled upon this page, but I gotta say that it sounds pretty damn awesome, and something that's definetly going on my bucket list!

Oh dear.

El_Waiboi, we need to talk. The Burning Man Art Festival can indeed be pretty darn awesome, but the term "bucket list" scares the heck out of many of us. We have enough "tourists" at this "No Spectators" event as it is. (No offense intended.)
Burning Man is not for everyone. And it takes a great deal of reading on the main web site, and serious soul-searching, to develop an indication of whether Burning Man might be for you. I suggest you go to the main website (click on the "Burning Man" logo at the top left of this page) and look for first-timer info. Find the Survival Guide. Read it. Twice. Then read tons more all over the site. Then we'll go from there.

Many of us here are fond of dogs. There is even Pets thread. What kind do you have?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby El_Waiboi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Elliot wrote:
El_Waiboi wrote:Oh and BTW - I had never heard of Burning man when I stumbled upon this page, but I gotta say that it sounds pretty damn awesome, and something that's definetly going on my bucket list!

Oh dear.

El_Waiboi, we need to talk. The Burning Man Art Festival can indeed be pretty darn awesome, but the term "bucket list" scares the heck out of many of us. We have enough "tourists" at this "No Spectators" event as it is. (No offense intended.)
Burning Man is not for everyone. And it takes a great deal of reading on the main web site, and serious soul-searching, to develop an indication of whether Burning Man might be for you. I suggest you go to the main website (click on the "Burning Man" logo at the top left of this page) and look for first-timer info. Find the Survival Guide. Read it. Twice. Then read tons more all over the site. Then we'll go from there.

Many of us here are fond of dogs. There is even Pets thread. What kind do you have?

Yeah, I understand, you guys are really into this, and you don't want people who aren't seriously committed messing it up for everybody. Totally understandable.

And I'm honestly not commited at this point, I mean I just heard about the festival for the first time today. I just was trying to give you guys the proper respect and let you know that it sounds very cool what you guys are doing.

And I have 3 Dogos Argentinos. They are an AWESOME breed! Google that rite quick if you have never heard of them, your gonna love them!

Thanks again for all the advice. Respect all around.
El_Waiboi

Postby BurnerBunny » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

might try these guys, these half aluminet half cloth tarps look perfect for making a shade structure.

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products ... cloth.html
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 pm

El_Waiboi wrote:Yeah, I understand, you guys are really into this, and you don't want people who aren't seriously committed messing it up for everybody. Totally understandable.

I just was trying to give you guys the proper respect and let you know that it sounds very cool what you guys are doing.

Respect all around.

You possess the beginning of wisdom, Grasshopper.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Return to Shelter & Camping