sunscreen .... What to look for

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

sunscreen

Postby tatonka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:30 pm

motorcycle alot around the country , have always used that Bullfrog brand , but now I hear they are bad for you ? So I look for natural kind and found one ,but it didnt disappear to well ,and I looked shiney and silvery :)
Any good brands out there that you all know of?

And when I ride I have alway had a tank top on , and putting sunscreen on my shoulders and face was no problem. So to be self relient how do I apply sun screen to my middle back if I dont wear a shirt?
Was thinking a small sponge on a stick , anyone have a better idea?
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: sunscreen

Postby Sham » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I have had some really good luck with the spray cans of sunscreen. It's so easy to apply and reapply as needed. You can go as high on the SPF scale as you need or dare! I keep a can in my backpack on the playa, and offer it up to people who are clearly crisping up against their will!
Sham

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:53 pm

tatonka wrote:motorcycle alot around the country , have always used that Bullfrog brand , but now I hear they are bad for you ? So I look for natural kind and found one ,but it didnt disappear to well ,and I looked shiney and silvery :)

And when I ride I have alway had a tank top on , and putting sunscreen on my shoulders and face was no problem. So to be self relient how do I apply sun screen to my middle back if I dont wear a shirt?

What I have done in the past is paused in a shade structure with a bunch of interesting looking people, started to apply sunscreen and then asked the closest person (ie pretty girl) to help me out... easy-peazy... 8)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

For me it's rarely been about the brand (everything I've used does what it says). Here's what works for my gf and I… We go for SPF50, we get one lotion and one aeresol spray-on. Aeresol goes on under the shade structure or when there's no wind, of course. That works great not only for the face, but my gf loves it for applying over fishnets and other lacy things. I'd recommend re-applying every hour or two, even if you don't feel like you're burning (if you can feel it, you're already cooked). I wouldn't worry about figuring out a way to get it onto your back - just ask someone. It's a great icebreaker, and you can always offer to reciprocate (just about everybody needs to use it regularly, and has hard-to-reach spots). If they (or you) are uncomfortable with putting lotion on a stranger, the spray's a perfect fallback.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Rice wrote:
tatonka wrote:motorcycle alot around the country , have always used that Bullfrog brand , but now I hear they are bad for you ? So I look for natural kind and found one ,but it didnt disappear to well ,and I looked shiney and silvery :)

What I have done in the past is paused in a shade structure with a bunch of interesting looking people, started to apply sunscreen and then asked the closest person (ie pretty girl) to help me out... easy-peazy... 8)

Um. . . That came out kinda creepy!!! :shock: {No, I am not that creepy old guy on the playa.}

I intended to say it is a good ice breaker and easy way to meet people & start up conversations!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:41 pm

I love spray sunscreen and always bring two cans (Aveeno was my recent favorite because it didn't irritate my skin) but I've been antsy about the news regarding hormone disrupting ingredients in spray sunscreens. I've been looking at the EWG site's sunscreen ratings ("The Environmental Working Group is the nation’s leading environmental health research and advocacy organization.").

http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/all-sunscreens/?

They rate 1,800 Sunscreens and products with SPF based on:

UVB PROTECTION (SPF)
UVA PROTECTION
UVA/UVB BALANCE
SUNSCREEN STABILITY
HEALTH CONCERN

They tend to list results alphabetically and with a color and a number. Ideally, there is a green symbol and a low number (a 1 or a 2) next to your favorite sunscreen. Probably not, though. They're sticklers!

Best Beach & Sport Sunscreens:
http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/best-s ... unscreens/

Best Beach & Sport Sunscreens (Non-Mineral). (Mineral sunscreens protect better, but they're often chalky and streaky.)
http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/best-s ... l-options/

"None of these non-mineral sunscreens earn our top rating. But here are some choices for people who prefer to avoid nano-scale minerals (zinc and titanium) or who object to the feel or smell of mineral sunscreens. The trade-off? All non-mineral products contain at least one sunscreen chemical considered to be a potential hormone disruptor."

I also tried entering simply the word "Spray" and they listed 188 sprays. None of the sprays received a "Green" rating for high scores in all areas. The best score is a "1", and no sprays got that rating. The best a spray received is a "3"; there are 16 spray sunscreens that are rated 3. I'll probably bring some high rated lotion & two spray cans of the least unhealthful sprays. :lol:

. . . I'll admit, this is more than most people will want to know. :shock: For one week a year, perhaps 1) the broad spectrum sunscreen that 2) you will wear faithfully is really the best choice . . . in the same way that the electrolytes you're actually willing to drink are the best electrolytes.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tatonka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm

thanks all , will do on the asking :)

tatonka

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I use the Banana Boat Sport spf50, and I'm a pasty redhead. Never gotten burned out there, but I also shower (at most) once during the burn, so I layering sunscreen on top of dust on top of sunscreen. Works like a charm. Banana Boat usually gets a low healthy score on those tests, but, fukkit, for one week I'm going with what I know works.

I never let my bald head see the sun however (my dermatologist would kill me - I'm not allowed to go out in SF without a hat in the daytime, yea skin-cancer risk!)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Earthwalker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

Big picture, it really is best to limit skin exposure as much as possible. That really is your best bet. Because if the skin cancer doesn't get you, it will be the "how the hell do you pronounce this" chemicals in the sunscreen.

That said, there are times, such as the burn (pun intended) that we'll be in the sun. I spent three plus days, shirtless, in the desert sun in Indio and was only burnt in the random spots I didn't hit with the 100spf spray that I got, on sale, from cvs (cvs brand).

I think I'll try the idea of applying a base layer of the lotion at camp, then adding spray as needed throughout the day

Then again, I may just take the suggestions above and carry lotion to try and get pretty girls to rub it on me

Plus, I'll likely be passed out in the shade most daylight hours :)
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby zerzura » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm

I am very very fair (think snow white) and had a child a couple of years ago; so I am well versed in the sunscreen hunt. I tried lots of low toxic, natural sunscreens (including many from the EWG recomendations), but have ended up liking the Neutrogena Pure and Free line best of all. It just works, has no yucky smell, and is "cosmetically elegant" -- absorbs easily. It is a non-chemical based sunscreen. Aveeno really irritated my skin! We also use the Neutrogena spray to layer up the sunscreen as the day progresses. And it. just. works. The other sunscreen I like that scores better with EWG is Alba Botanica, but I can't always find that one, and they are always changing the packaging and confusing me!
zerzura

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Alba Botanica has been pretty nice, agreed. Some of their sunscreens rate a 2 (green rating) on EWG.

I have the opposite experience with Neutrogena spray sunscreen though--perhaps only specific to the "Fresh Cooling Spray" sunscreen. It was attractively shiny on my skin, but it ultimately scabbed up my arms. (Gross!) I think it might have more alcohol than some sprays. Whatever it is that makes it feel cool and look shiny does not agree with my sensitive skin.

Savannah

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 am

You need the aerosol kind that will cause your arms to combust while welding.

On another note, I was impressed with some Kroger brand "sports" sunblock because it was not thick while providing decent protection; it was easy to just coat my arms and whatever else as needed. I also brought some thicker Neutrogena stuff and while I was confident that it was good, the fact that it was such a pain to apply meant that I was less inclined to make spur-of-the-moment daylight trips. I'd just settle for the can of aerosol spray, which was in limited supply until I used my friend's sports sunblock mentioned earlier.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby International Incident » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:44 am

As a pale Australian (we have highest skin cancer rates in the world) I use my std 15plus decent quality sunscreen. As long as I keep the hat on and sleeves on I don't get that burnt. Like Eric it gets layered with dust - that helps. It doesn't matter what fancy stuff you use - if you forget to apply it then it less than useless. Just stay with what you know.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 am

International Incident wrote:As a pale Australian (we have highest skin cancer rates in the world) I use my std 15plus decent quality sunscreen.

Is that Bukkake brand sunblock? :wink:

On another note, SPF-15 is rather low, on par with what some lip balms may protect. Usually you'll want something on the order of SPF-25 to SPF-45 (though in Australia the limit for labeling is SPF-30).

As long as I keep the hat on and sleeves on I don't get that burnt. Like Eric it gets layered with dust - that helps. It doesn't matter what fancy stuff you use - if you forget to apply it then it less than useless. Just stay with what you know.

The hat is good, but most shirts, long-sleeve or otherwise, only provide about SPF 10 equivalent protection unless specifically designed to block radiation. So you really should cover yourself in sunblock even if you're wearing clothing that allows any light through.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am

International Incident wrote:As a pale Australian (we have highest skin cancer rates in the world) I use my std 15plus decent quality sunscreen.

I don't think they make sunscreens yet that protect against STDs. BM would be the perfect test market though. I mean "here, put this sunscreen on your exposed schlong, plus, it's got a built in condom function"

IDK about sun through clothing. I mean, I'm no scientist, and I'm sure it holds weight, but I just can't ever remember getting sun burnt while wearing clothes. Through clouds YES. But not with clothes on. But then again...whose gonna have clothes on?
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby tatonka » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 am

thanks for all the replys , I tan up well , but Im going to wear a loin cloth and my butt cheeks havnt seen the sun in 20+ years :)
will check on the spray , nothing on the shelves yet as its seasonal up here.

tatonka

Postby mytripod » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 am

I use Banana Boat unscented for babies, spf 30. I have very sensitive skin but I don't tend to burn, even though I'm fair. It's my Aleut genes. As a veteran desert wanderer, I haven't gotten a burn in many years, due to a combination of protective clothing, liberal use of shade, applying sunscreen to exposed parts regularly, and keeping track of my amount of exposure. Obviously if you have a skimpy outfit at Burning Man, you need to be extra careful, because there are some places on your body that are a particular misery if burned.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 am

minor thread drift...if you get sprayed down with water, do so under shade. And dry off before going out into the sun. Moreso for fair skinned folk... The droplets of water will magnify the suns rays on your skin.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 am

When all else fails stop by Camp SPF in Snowflake Village. They will even apply it for you if you ask nice :-) (very nice folks)
I went with spray on SPF 100+ & didn't get so much as a tan line.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

sunscreen .... What to look for

Postby peyote2004 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks to my Scottish heritage, I'm about as pasty white as it can get. Since I know I'm going to need a lot of sunscreen, I plan to buy it in Reno. I know some brands that we have here are available in the US but not the ones I generally use.

I'm looking for a sunscreen that is not overly greasy/sticky. Likely a spray, since I'll be alone and won't have anyone to rub it on my back... at least at first :wink:

Other than non greasy, what should I look for in a sunscreen for the burn? Are there any brands that you recommend over others?
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 am

Merged and Bumped for Peyote2004.

The Neutrogena Cooling spray I talked about above isn't greasy at all, but it's actually not moisturizing enough. The alcohol badly dried out my arms. Aveeno sunscreen spray was more moisturizing. If you're worried about coverage of tough areas or wear bangs or a center part it's worth getting a spray sunscreen to address that, although the chemicals in sprays are a little iffy if you read some of the current information. (Still, for a week a year, it's not always easy to care).

But currently I use non-sprays: "Eucerin Sensitive Skin SPF 30" for my face and upper chest . . . a lightweight lotion, because otherwise my skin will hate me . . . and a heavier one (like "Banana Boat" SPF 30 or 50 or whatever) for arms and legs.

Savannah

Re: sunscreen .... What to look for

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 am

You can also look into those sunblock powders with those brushes if you don't want them greasy. It won't go on your back (get a can for that), but for everything else it works.

BBadger

Re: sunscreen .... What to look for

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 am

I have sometimes worn makeup with SPF (L'Oreal/Neutrogena), including mineral powder. It's only SPF 17 and SPF 20, but it's much less likely to freak out my skin than a coating of all-purpose sunscreen. Still, I use my parasol as backup if I'm just strolling the neighborhood.

Savannah

Return to Keeping Cool