Any LA Art Cars Need a Concept?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Any LA Art Cars Need a Concept?

Postby lkrause » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 am

This is my first BM but I have a phenomenal idea for an art car! Because it's my first year I don't particularly want to take on the huge task of bringing and maintaining an art car.. I had access to someone making one but it seems as though their golf cart isn't as functional as they'd like and aren't going to do it this year. If anyone LA-local is stumped as to what to do with their golf cart I've been told by a bunch of veteran burners that I have a great idea, and I'd love to help construct and collaborate on it! I live on the west side but work in the Brewery Complex most days during the week, great if we'd need a lot of space to work with.

Just figured I'd throw this out there. PM me if you're interested! :)
lkrause

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Pbearadactyl Ranch

Re: Any LA Art Cars Need a Concept?

Postby Elliot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:37 pm

:D
Welcome to ePlaya.

Perhaps if you post drawings of this phenomenal concept? Maybe a photo of a table-top cardboard model?

Might be better to use posts on the forum rather than PM, so ePlayans all over the country can enjoy your idea.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby lkrause » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm

I completely agree and am all about sharing ideas, but in this case I'd much rather keep it more private so I could potentially work with someone local to me and ideally get my hands into it. I'd love to start a discussion on everyone's ideas or any conceptual problems they come across along the way so we can all learn more about the process, especially if its something newer to them.
lkrause

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Preparation -> Transportation board, since that's a better fit for working out concepts and problem-solving. The year-specific MV board is more for posting about fully formed projects. You may also want to look at the Spark collaboration tool.

In my personal opinion, the idea's the easy part. I've never known a mutant vehicle builder that didn't already have an idea they were passionate about. You may care to consider either keeping your idea in your back pocket to take on in a subsequent year (when you're able to take on that task or after you've connected with others to work on it together). A good way to get started would be to keep your eyes open for people working on projects in your area that you might want to pitch in and help out with. Even if it's just a couple work days, you'll meet good people, get to work on something awesome, and probably learn something about the process as well.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been trying not to say anything... but...
Trylobite couldn't have said it better - the concept is by far the easiest part! EVERYONE has ideas about what a cool mutant vehicle would be.
It's just a little... oh what's the right adjective here... I dunno.... but telling everyone you have this amazing idea that someone else should build, and it's so amazing you aren't even willing to share it publicly, presumably because someone will rush out and start building it without you... it's just...
The way it works is: the guy who builds the thing gets to be the one who figures out what it's gonna be.
And believe it or not, it's probably been thought of or actually done before anyway.
Tossing out cool ideas is fine and encouraged, so out with it already!
Then we can all tell you what's wrong with it. (haha)
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby lkrause » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Sorry to cause such a stir.. I spend my days building art every day in downtown LA and figured this was the best venue to find someone like-minded and going to burning man. I'm in the habit of finding creatives online, meeting them in person over some beers and collaborating and expanding ideas that way, not online. I had an art car collab fall through on me the other day and figured this forum was simply the best way to maybe find another group out there. If it doesn't happen, so be it. I'm not pretentious enough to think I have a "million dollar idea", I just think if I'm putting creative input and money into something, that I should be able to help make it and collaborate on it locally. I know the festival is all about sharing but this is just something I simply do not want publicly online because I have been burned badly by that in the past. Sharing in person is 10x more fun and collaborative anyway! :D
lkrause

Postby lkrause » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 pm

And in response to trilobite, I do have a vast array of artists I know of and would be willing to work on things like this in LA, but they aren't going to BM this year. I know everyone has their own ideas, but again, I was just shooting this out into the interwebs to see if there was anyone out there. That can't hurt, right?

Thanks for referring me to Spark!! I had no idea this existed.
lkrause

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 pm

A different way to word it might have been: "Seeking help for building an art car in LA area". The original wording sounds more like you're looking for someone to supply you with an art car. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Hey lkrause! Talk to locals in L.A.

http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca_la.html

Good luck!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah