Travel Logistics - Decompressing in Vegas

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Travel Logistics - Decompressing in Vegas

Postby FernetBreakfast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm trying to think of a creative way to:

1. Travel from Portland, Oregon to Burning Man via RV
2. Travel from Burning Man to Vegas via RV
3. Return from Vegas to Portland (without the RV)

The three years I've attended, I've always camped. This year however I'm going to take an RV. Maybe age. Probably just being a wiener. Either way, rather than returning directly home I'd like to take my party of four to Vegas for the remainder of that week after the event to decompress. My dilemma is how to avoid storing the RV and then having to drive it home for 20 hours from Vegas to Portland.

My thoughts were to drive it from BM to Vegas, return it, and then simply pay a moving service to relocate all my stuff back to Portland. I would think a moving service would charge less than the cost of the RV plus fuel in returning to PDX. Then, we could just fly back via Southwest for about $575 in total on the 8th.

Anyone else decompress in Vegas that's been in this predicament that has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
FernetBreakfast

Burning Since: 2003

Re: Travel Logistics - Decompressing in Vegas

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Haha, decompressing in Vegas sounds like an oxymoron. But maybe after BM even Vegas is decompressing.

No experience with RV, so can't help you out here. Good luck!
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Haha, yeah. I just got back from Vegas and kept thinking about how I used to think it was amazing... before I went to burning man. :)

Do RV rentals usually let you return to a different city? If not, a box/moving truck seems like it would be more likely to allow you to do that.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby FernetBreakfast » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Haha, decompressing in Vegas sounds like an oxymoron. But maybe after BM even Vegas is decompressing.
you might be right:) thought an opposite side of the spectrum might be good on this trip.

looks like the rv can be return to some states one-way, but requires approval (cruise america.) just a waiting game now. i really don't want to drive that rv back to portland :shock:
FernetBreakfast

Burning Since: 2003

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

I always decompress on the way back to Seattle at Summer Lake Hot Springs. It's got the Burner ambiance going that gently eases you back into the default world when you head out the next morning.

Las Vegas, altho fun, is too much of an extreme plastic shock after a week at BRC...YMMV. Not to mention, it's in the wrong direction for the trip home...for me. Whatever floats yer boat, tho.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby BBadger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Haha, yeah. I just got back from Vegas and kept thinking about how I used to think it was amazing... before I went to burning man. :)

Yeah, Vegas is like the glitz of BM as a vernier over all the shit that society has to offer. I wouldn't want the taint of Vegas spoiling an otherwise nice trip. Usually I seek out somewhere green and lush to decompress.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jdishongh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am

FernetBreakfast,
I'm from Portland and would consider driving your RV back to P-town in exchange for transpo down to BRC. If not me, then you could consider someone else as an option. Just an idea.
~ James
jdishongh

Burning Since: 2013

Return to Transportation