Sunset

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Sunset

Postby Earthwalker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 am

Sorry if this is the wrong section (please feel free to move). I searched the board and couldn't find an answer to this:

During TTITD, when does the sun typically set? I'm asking out of general curiosity, but also so I can know what time I have to be there by in order to be able to set up MH/tent etc while there is still light remaining.

I'm guessing 745, with it still generally light until 815???

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Sunset

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 am

Playatime does not compute. Bring flashlights.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 am

Sun sets around "It's f**king cold"
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

Three fingers above the mountain range means is is going to get dark soon, wrap it up and get back to camp to eat and get your warm clothes.

We shoot for a dawn arrival. Still cool enough to set up, light enough to find the village.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am

It's been a few years since I've cared. That information is already readily available, a little radical self reliance can go a long way. Find a site (weather sites often have that info) or an app that will calculate sunrise/sunset for you, then all you need to do is enter the ZIP code for Gerlach (also readily available) and the date you want. Easy peasy :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am

In the spirit of promoting self-reliance (one of the 10 Burning Man Principles) http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_burningman/principles.html

Try the following: Add the word "eplaya" to any of your google searches... Chances are, someone has already asked that question...

ie: eplaya sunset (which returns the following link from 2004: viewtopic.php?t=5400)

Go for "Self Reliance"
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Nipple » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am

I just know I gotta go home when the street lights come on.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am

Earthwalker wrote:...so I can know what time I have to be there by in order to be able to set up MH/tent etc while there is still light remaining.

Actually, shooting for a specific camp-site arrival-time is pretty much a fool's game. All it takes is one crash or stalled motor-home on the narrow and shoulderless highway to delay traffic for hours. Then you get to the gate and the line there can take several hours.

And for a first-timer it will be difficult to find your way in the dark. So I suggest you plan on arriving fairly early in the day.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Elliot wrote:
Earthwalker wrote:...so I can know what time I have to be there by in order to be able to set up MH/tent etc while there is still light remaining.

Actually, shooting for a specific camp-site arrival-time is pretty much a fool's game. All it takes is one crash or stalled motor-home on the narrow and shoulderless highway to delay traffic for hours. Then you get to the gate and the line there can take several hours.

And for a first-timer it will be difficult to find your way in the dark. So I suggest you plan on arriving fairly early in the day.
:D

Finding our camp site the first night in 2011 & setting up (a modest camp) in the dark was quite a lot of fun :). Plus, by the time we finished, the sun was rising and it was time to wake up! There's something to be said for starting your first burn already minus one night's sleep!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 pm

[quote="MacGlenver] There's something to be said for starting your first burn already minus one night's sleep![/quote]

Did that my first night in 99..drove up missing a nights sleep. Hallucinated on 2 beers and lack of sleep my first night. But was nice, sitting at the feet of the man, out of my mind!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Token » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Token

Postby unjonharley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Drive time is 11 hours.. The the line.. Find close to site and go to sleep..

Up in the morning out on the job work like the devil for my pay..

But that lucky old sun got nothing to do but to roll around heaven all day..
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 pm

It's light enough to see at maybe . . . 5:15am, the sun comes up at about 6:15am almost on the nose. The sun sets somewhere between 7:30pm - 8:00pm, to my memory. Fully dark by 9:00.

I've set up a tent in the dark numerous times, using a lantern or a big flashlight. (Some folks use headlights to get a few things done.) It doesn't seem like a weird thing to do anymore. :lol: I suppose it might present a challenge if one has never set up a particular tent before. Test runs rule!

Some folks drive to approximately where they want to be, and snooze a bit in their cars. Layout around you may change while you're sleeping, but if you're tired or unsure, it's probably worth it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Token » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I absolutely hate getting there during daylight. Did it once in my ten years and said never again.

I can find a spot and setup in the middle of the night just fine.

Getting there at night is just spectacular with all the lights and flame toys firing off in the distance. Gets me all energized and ready to work.

Getting there in the daytime is just like driving into the slums of Tijuana; filthy, grimy, sweaty, depressing shanty town. Can't get motivated to do squat until sunset anyway.

But that's just me, a "doing it the wrong way" kind of FKO.
Token

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Token wrote:Getting there at night is just spectacular with all the lights and flame toys firing off in the distance. Gets me all energized and ready to work.

Getting there in the daytime is just like driving into the slums of Tijuana; filthy, grimy, sweaty, depressing shanty town. Can't get motivated to do squat until sunset anyway.

Oh, my God . . . it's true. :shock:

I now realize I've only arrived two times during the day. It felt weird. I didn't put my tent up until after dinner.

Arriving in the dark is classic. :lol:

Savannah

Postby Milayna » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

I arrived just at sunset on Sunday this year. I really liked that it was nice and cool while I put up my monkey hut. Like Savannah said I had a big lantern and a head lamp and seeing the man glowing in the distance really helped motivate me :)
Milayna

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm

IF YOU DONT ARRIVE IN CAMP BY 5PM ..YER FUCKED.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm

lemur wrote:IF YOU DONT ARRIVE IN CAMP BY 5PM ..YER FUCKED.

If you're not in the gates by noon on Monday you might as well turn around and go back home...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Can self reliance not include asking others who are more in the know? Should I greet those who ask me advice on financial or other life matters with "sorry, you must learn that for yourself. I paid good hard money for this knowledge and I'm not giving it away freely!"

I've noticed on this board that, in many instances (not all, some people really do ask dumb questions), citing that principle is just an excuse for someone to be a jackass or ride their high horse (or unicorn)

So thank you, savannah, and figjam on the bucket cooler thread, for your kindness and consideration in just answering the (excuse me while I curse) damn question

Cheers
Earthwalker

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm

And to be sure I live by my words, you can find me on here next year humbly answering NB questions

I must be off now. Have to finish watching season one of Keeping up with the Kardashians
Earthwalker

Postby Earthwalker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 am

PS....that wasn't directed towards anyone with smart ass answers. I love sarcasm, smart assery, and general ball busting. I just dint like the serious "you must not ask that here, you aren't self reliant enough" response. No crap I know how to use google. I mean, I did find this board, eh?

Goodnight fellow forum participants
Earthwalker

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 am

Well . . . .Trilo was right when he said there are ways to find out this information without asking. :) Maybe you didn't know that you can look up on the internet the time that the sun will set in a certain location on a certain date . . . but you can (I have).

People can be a little terse with those who ask the easiest questions because 1) we're not customer service or the hired help, we're Burners fucking around and missing each other, & 2) we can envision camping next to a person who is ill-prepared or not ready to fend for themselves. Someone whose camp is not well tied-down is probably worst and most dangerous to other people, but there are other kinds of poor neighbors. We've met them. You won't want to.

Anyway--if you keep your eyes open, you will see new folks praised for asking hard, unusual, fun questions--or prefacing their requests by saying that they have looked Specific Place A and Specific Place B (especially when you can tell it's true) and just been unlucky. Many of us have been here for years, and can totally tell when someone has tried. Stick around, read the Survival Guide a second time and you'll start to spot the people who haven't tried so hard.

People who try, and the people with good attitudes are the virgins no one minds camping next to. And some virgins you can't easily identify at all--we call them Stealth Virgins, and they're amazing. But we've all run across folks who made our Burns harder because they weren't self-reliant. Not to excuse someone being outright mean on ePlaya, because that does happen (this is the internet, not the glorious playa) . . . but the pleasure towards respectful folks who try does not spring fully formed from some sort of void. :)

Tip for all: google keyword + eplaya. Try googling another keyword + eplaya. Try "Search". No help? Maybe ask now.

Savannah

Postby BBadger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 am

The reason you're not receiving the responses you want is that the question asked falls under the "stupid questions" category.

Before you get offended by that, bear with me a second here...

A "stupid question" is one that shouldn't be asked because it isn't worth the time to answer -- and by answering it encourages more such questions. Questions are a waste of time if the answer is easily researched, or if question falls below the intellect level of the environment (e.g. asking a basic question of a high level professor at a conference). It can also mean the person doesn't know the right question to ask because of a lack of background research.

In your case there are two problems: 1) it's easy to look up sunset times in the northern hemisphere for that time of year, and 2) had you looked that up, the real question you should have been asking is how long should I expect to wait in line to arrive at a particular time?

Simply asking the time the sun sets is a pointless question. You'll receive much better responses to your questions if you do the legwork to craft a workable question. Otherwise, people aren't going to feel all that bad slewing snark at someone who isn't fulfilling his part of the bargain between questioner and answerer.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 am

I have to say that I'm very proud to see that even after 23 posts now, the easily obtainable answer still hasn't been spoon fed by anyone. Bravo, my dear lads. Bra-vo.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Token » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am

Dear Earthwalker. I gave you a direct link to the information you asked for yet you purposefully snub my effort, sing praises to Savanah and Fig, then lump me in the Jackass category.

This hurts my feelings. I am now left alone to deal with the aftermath of your actions whilst you wash yourself clean in some self righteous tirade on what is right and wrong.

However, I will be bigger than this. I can handle it!

I forgive you.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault

It's not your fault.

Token wrote:http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

Enter coordinates and have fun.
Token

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:46 am

junglesmacks wrote:I have to say that I'm very proud to see that even after 23 posts now, the easily obtainable answer still hasn't been spoon fed by anyone. Bravo, my dear lads. Bra-vo.

you may want to re-read then, Red Ranger. I saw it pretty clearly laid out.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 am

ygmir wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I have to say that I'm very proud to see that even after 23 posts now, the easily obtainable answer still hasn't been spoon fed by anyone. Bravo, my dear lads. Bra-vo.

you may want to re-read then, Red Ranger. I saw it pretty clearly laid out.

I've re-read, Red Rocket. Estimations but no exact data which is easy enough to do.

junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 am

Savannah wrote:It's light enough to see at maybe . . . 5:15am, the sun comes up at about 6:15am almost on the nose. The sun sets somewhere between 7:30pm - 8:00pm, to my memory. Fully dark by 9:00.

I've set up a tent in the dark numerous times, using a lantern or a big flashlight. (Some folks use headlights to get a few things done.) It doesn't seem like a weird thing to do anymore. :lol: I suppose it might present a challenge if one has never set up a particular tent before. Test runs rule!

Some folks drive to approximately where they want to be, and snooze a bit in their cars. Layout around you may change while you're sleeping, but if you're tired or unsure, it's probably worth it.

ok, maybe not down to the minute, but dear Savannah got it pretty dang close.

ETA: you been doing yoga? nice move..........I bet you never leave the house now.
:twisted: :twisted:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 am

After I had my bottom 2 ribs removed, it was smooth sailing.
junglesmacks

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 am

5pm.

or else.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks