Nudity banned this year?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Nudity banned this year?

Postby coyote » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:53 pm

I just got an email from Media Mecca saying that "nudity is banned at Burning Man". Has anyone else heard this? Is this a reaction to the Pershing County situation?
coyote

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: Particle Camp

Re: Nudity banned this year?

Postby VultureChow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Not a problem. I'll start crocheting

Also I'm willing to loan out my pecker pack for anyone who misses shirtcocking: Image

The sack is filled with jelly beans.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby skippy3k » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Is it wrong that the picture above made me feel warm and fuzzy?

<ba da bump!>
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Sham » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Great, now I have to find some clothes to bring! :roll:
Sham

Postby jerroc » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Its seems a law was passed alowing police to arrest possible nudist or what is perceived as a luied act. The law is being challenged because due process was violated. It's unclear to me if Pershing county will enforce the new rule or wait for the outcome of the challenge. I have not Seen BM post anything other than nothing will change this year.
jerroc

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Only during the Queensryche concert at the Temple. The solution is civil disobedience. EVERYBODY gets naked!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Schtev » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:43 am

jerroc wrote:Its seems a law was passed alowing police to arrest possible nudist or what is perceived as a luied act. The law is being challenged because due process was violated. It's unclear to me if Pershing county will enforce the new rule or wait for the outcome of the challenge. I have not Seen BM post anything other than nothing will change this year.

Which law would that be? What's your source?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 am

I'm a highly suspicious of new accounts being created to post anything claiming to be information. And we all know the Internet is the biggest game if telephone: "some one told me that they heard that..."

When you get there just ask the Black Rock Rangers - Burning Man volunteers in kaki's with radios that travel in pairs, usually on foot. They will be aware of what has been going on with LEO on a day by day basis.

Media Mecca is responsible for influencing what gets publicized about the event, not what happens at the event. Sure they would love a visit from anyone to hear first hand any changes year to year about publicity.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby CornMan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am

Have all nudist colonies been banned in Pershing county?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 am

They should ban colonies, or at least colonialism.
Then we can all get naked.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CrispyDave » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:58 am

We need more "Reverse Shirt Cocking"
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby wraith » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm

What, assless chaps? :twisted:
wraith

Postby jerroc » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:
jerroc wrote:Its seems a law was passed alowing police to arrest possible nudist or what is perceived as a luied act. The law is being challenged because due process was violated. It's unclear to me if Pershing county will enforce the new rule or wait for the outcome of the challenge. I have not Seen BM post anything other than nothing will change this year.

Which law would that be? What's your source?

I miss spoke in saying "law" I should have rather said ordinance. Anyhow find your own fucking sources don't take it from me. I'm not stupid enough to take a rumor at face value from blowbags. I suggest you do the Same.
jerroc

Postby CitizenRandom » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:05 am

I call BULLSHIT

but i must say nudity seemed to be waaaaaaay down. I think i only saw like three tits and two were mine.
yours in the flame
CitizenRandom

Postby Zoso » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I believe (after thoroughly reading the contract provided at media mecca) that nudity is only banned in photographs - although a lot of the time it's unavoidable! same with any photographs alluding to illicit substances, (now that one I understand) I suppose they do not want to be affiliated with rave culture or wish to be seen in a particular light to avoid or quash the stigma that seems to be attached to it in America.
Zoso

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:06 pm

CitizenRandom wrote:I call BULLSHIT

but i must say nudity seemed to be waaaaaaay down. I think i only saw like three tits and two were mine.

sorry but i gotta call bullshit on you.

i saw tits EVERYWHERE

and i was naked for 90% of my burn. so yeah
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby pink » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Most of my camp was naked most of the time. While setting up I thought we should just change the name to 'Naked Guy Camp'.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09 am

pink wrote:Most of my camp was naked most of the time. While setting up I thought we should just change the name to 'Naked Guy Camp'.

That is the literal translation of Retrofrolic in Premordial Swahili.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby sandfly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Is there a site with updated status reports on the lawsuits re the 2 Pershing County ordinances -- dramatically increase costs, and ban nudity & children?

Anyone heard whether BMOrg is proposing moving the event outside of Pershing County? I wonder if moving it to one of the Indian reservations would make it immune from Pershing County regulation.
sandfly

Postby MikeGyver » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm

If anything like that actually passed i'm sure it would be on the main BM website as a headline, not a story someone read somewhere. I wouldnt put it past Pershing county to try but its the same thing as last year of them signing things without going through the steps. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point in time.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Folks, this is a TRUE rumor!
Don't forget to bring some clothing, just in case.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 pm

The lawsuit between Burning Man and Pershing county is not expected to have any affect on this year's event, regardless of the outcome. Relevant updates would be posted on the Burning Blog as well as covered in the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

I can just see it, thousands of nudists charging the pants cannon, hoping to be covered...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby maryanimal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 pm

VultureChow wrote:Not a problem. I'll start crocheting

Also I'm willing to loan out my pecker pack for anyone who misses shirtcocking: Image

The sack is filled with jelly beans.

*Shrieking with laughter...oops, I think I just peed a litttle* I love those costumes and that package holder! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 pm

The family that playas together, stayas together
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby sandfly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 pm

trilobyte wrote:The lawsuit between Burning Man and Pershing county is not expected to have any affect on this year's event, regardless of the outcome. Relevant updates would be posted on the Burning Blog as well as covered in the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter.

I don't understand this comment (being posted in 2013). The ordinances were enacted last year. There was plenty of press about it.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/2012/08/petty-officials-trying-bleed-burning-man-dry
http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013302140068

BRC LLC, apparently, established a website that claimed it would provide information, but nothing is posted since 8/22/2012. This website says "This action will not affect the 2012 event."
http://www.brcvpc.com/

Pershing County filed a motion to dismiss BRC's suit. http://www.scribd.com/doc/109652338/Burning-Man-Lawsuit-Response
BRC filed a response 11/26/2013. http://brcvpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BRCs-Opposition-to-Pershing-Countys-Motion-to-Dismiss-BRCs-Complaint.pdf

And ...? Anybody know the status?
sandfly

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm

My comment was pretty straightforward. The lawsuit is not expected to have any affect on this year's event, regardless of the outcome.

If Burning Man prevails in the case, the event would continue as planned. Pershing County would collect less in fees, in line with rates from 2011 and before. If Burning Man does not prevail in the case, Pershing County would collect more in fees as they did in 2012. Those fees would be collected from Burning Man and not participants (you wouldn't face a Pershing County toll booth). At no point is the ability to have the event at the current location in jeopardy. Participants should plan to be either as naked or as clothed as they have in years past. It is important to remember, of course, that until you're past those gates you are still 'in Defaultia' and could be ticketed for public nudity - as you could have in years past.

The case itself hasn't really made much movement, which is why there have not been any updates or posts. Pershing County did file a motion to dismiss (typical response when one party is sued is to try and throw the case out), and Burning Man filed an opposition/response. When there is progress to report, it will be posted on the Burning Blog as well as in the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby sandfly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Trilobyte: I admire your optimism. This August there'll apparently be cops from Pershing County at BRC. There's a new Pershing County ordinance aimed at banning nudity at BRC. If the ordinance is upheld, I don't see why those cops (& maybe others) would not enforce it.
sandfly

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 pm

There have been cops from Pershing county and Washoe county for several years now. There presence is nothing new
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Trishntek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 am

sandfly wrote:Trilobyte: I admire your optimism. This August there'll apparently be cops from Pershing County at BRC. There's a new Pershing County ordinance aimed at banning nudity at BRC. If the ordinance is upheld, I don't see why those cops (& maybe others) would not enforce it.

That ordinance is part of the challenge in the lawsuit and will not be enforced unless the suit is settled in the county's favor. Such ordinances are ordinarily something a community puts forth rather than a county. There lies the rub. Pershing County is trying to push Lovelock City ordinance for the entire county. Not only that, but the move is primarily being done by a JUDGE! So there are a number of reasons for this thing to fart in Pershing County's face.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy