First-Timers from Wyoming

First-Timers from Wyoming

Postby KeithT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello all!
My wife and I are heading out for our first time this year and we are really excited! We've been talking about it for years and everything finally fell in line.
This is going to be a huge experiment for, we are normally the quiet, reserved types, geeks to the core though. We would both be perfectly content sitting there watching people go by, but I want to make it more than that. Heck, we have problems even dressing up for Halloween! Fear of what people may think. I've had that fear for a long time, so much so I feel like I've almost lost who I am. So for me, I want to get out there, away from my normal life and see what I can find.
We are both creatives. My wife is an ex-symphony musician and is currently a graphic designer. I am a photographer. So not only are we looking to try and break out of our shells a bit, we're also hoping to find a little creative rejuvenation. Having to be creative for our careers has drained our personal creativity, so we are hoping to get some of that back.
I am in the process of reading all the information I can. It's a bit overwhelming, but am picking up some good stuff. I know for sure I want to build a monkey hut, but with the various designs and opinions... It's almost hard to know where to begin. I don't want to go overboard with this being our first time, but at the same time I want to make sure we are as comfortable as possible.
Anyway, that's us in a nut-shell. I look forward to getting to know some of you and possibly even meeting in August!
-Keith
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
KeithT

Burning Since: 2013

Re: First-Timers from Wyoming

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 pm

welcometoeplayaithinkyoullhaveafuntimeatburningman,
beingaphotographerandgoingtoburningmangotogetherverywell,
iamaphotographermyself..andtheresalottodooutthere,making
imagesoutthereisveryenjoyable,moresothanjustbecauseofhowitlooks
..butbecauseoftheextremevarietyofweather/light/landscapeconditions.
.itreallyislikebeinginacity...
beingfromwyomingimguessingtheopenspacesmightnotbetoonewtoyou,
butforuscityfolk..itsabigdeal..
.anyways.hi.imsureyoullenjoyburningman,drinklotsofwater
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Keith!

Nervous even to dress for Halloween? YOU ARE BREAKING MY HEART. :shock: GET YOUR ASS TO THE DESERT.

Okay, okay, so . . . being physically comfortable and prepared and participatory and all that is most important, but . . . yeah, I'm excited for your suppressed creativity!

This is probably the most popular design used by Burners . . . maybe:
http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

This is a nice site by Bob:
https://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/bluetarp

And here's another thing:
http://www.burningman.com/press/photo_guide.html

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 9ah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Welcome and best of luck with your planning and finding yourselves.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby KeithT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Lemur - Thanks! I have seen some amazing images coming out of BM. I'm really excited about it, and hoping to experiment and play and then be able to take that experience back and use it in my business.

Savannah - Thanks! I know I know. I'm an Air Force brat and being uprooted in my early teens caused me to close up quite a bit. Since then I have always been afraid of what others may think. I'm hoping that this will help me get past that to some extent.

Thanks for the links as well. I had seen the photography guide, but haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

The monkey hut design I was leaning towards at the moment is this one:
http://www.toad.com/gnu/clifs-shade-structure.html
Though in several threads I've read in the shelter and camping thread have referenced the same one you have. Just need to figure out which one will fit best for us.
KeithT

Postby KeithT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks 9ah!
KeithT

Postby gypsy68 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome...

Remember you don't have to wear a costume. I am the same way, never dress up for Halloween. I just wear my regular clothes.
If getting out of your comfort zone and wearing a costume is something you want to do, then go for it. Just don't feel like you have to. Remember it's your burn!
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby TomServo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am

Welcome to eplaya! Worry!..but not too much. It's a lot like camping on a dry lake bed. Except weird stuff is everywhere and sensory overload is a good probability. Build as strong a camp as you can, and everything will fall into place. Bring extra Duct Tape and Rope! I can almost guarantee you will be INSPIRED! That alone, is my main reason for going, every year. You will find your neighbors, will be more than happy to help you out, if you run into trouble. And you will probably make some really great off playa friends, in the process. Just, come with the thought of carrying your own weight.

If your a photographer, you will have endless resources at your command. Landscape pics are especially awesome! Wake up before sunrise, and seek out the people shouting, when the first sunlight hits the man.

Best of Luck!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Milayna » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Welcome!! Just wanted to add one more monkey hut design that I used this year- it was simple and very strong (held up to all the winds for 8 days, never even had to make an adjustment!), you can always add length to it if you want which he talks about, or add a shade flap to the back to cover a tent so you have more space. http://www.maxicon.com/Burning_Man/PVC_ ... _playa.htm :D
Milayna

Postby KeithT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:02 pm

gypsy68 - Thanks! I know I don't have to, but I want to. all part of the getting out there I for me. I'm pretty excited about it!

TomServo - Thanks! I plan on being as self-sufficient as possible. I'm just afraid of overdoing it. I always have a tendency to over-think and take more than I need, which is not really a bad thing, especially in a event such as this. I rather be prepared than unprepared.

JKisha - Thanks!

Milayna - Thanks! That one may be a bit smaller than what I'll need, We have a tent that looks like it may be a bit bigger than the one in that tutorial, and we definitely want it completely covered. Though I am considering getting something a bit smaller than we currently have yet still fits an air mattress. That way we may have more lounging room in the shade structure and we also have a tent we don't mind getting a little trashed from a week in the dust.
KeithT

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Make sure you have lots of insulation over that air mattress. They conduct the cold like nothing else! [/nosy].

Savannah

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 am

Savannah wrote:Make sure you have lots of insulation over that air mattress. They conduct the cold like nothing else! [/nosy].

What Savannah said! Layers between you and the air mattress will make a world of difference!

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 am

You may even want to consider going to an army-navy surplus center and getting a cot. You're off the ground and the space underneath the cot is useful for storage thus maximizing the useful square-footage of tent space.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:You may even want to consider going to an army-navy surplus center and getting a cot. You're off the ground and the space underneath the cot is useful for storage thus maximizing the useful square-footage of tent space.

Yeah on the cot - but your ass will still get cold. I vote for cot + foam pad or real wool blanket. I use surplus wool army blankets for insulating lots of things, like my coolers.

Welcome!
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am

Mojojita wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:You may even want to consider going to an army-navy surplus center and getting a cot. You're off the ground and the space underneath the cot is useful for storage thus maximizing the useful square-footage of tent space.

Yeah on the cot - but your ass will still get cold. I vote for cot + foam pad or real wool blanket. I use surplus wool army blankets for insulating lots of things, like my coolers.

Welcome!

Aye. I have a folding cot with a foam mattress, and I love it.

Savannah

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

+1 for the cots! Got rid of my queen air mattress years ago.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby maryanimal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Welcome welcome Keith, and your mrs.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Welcome Keith!

There are two types of Noobs: those who are having a grand time, and those who are about to!

Look me up after camp placement. I promise you and yours an epic game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock! And maybe a drink or three.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby KeithT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to look into the cot options. I do like the mattress cause it allows us to cuddle up :D , not sure how well that'll work with cots. Our air mattress doesn't hold air like it used to so it may be time to look into other options any way. In talking with my wife, I'm not sure we've had much issues with the cold. We both have either 30-degree or zero-degree sleeping bags (I forget which at the moment) plus flannel liners. We do a lot of camping in the rockies where the temps drop pretty low at night, especially in May and October. Next time we're up there, later this spring, we'll try and pay attention to the temps a bit more and see how we feel. I do like the idea of having the cots and being able to store things underneath though...
KeithT

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

If driving, some folks bring a real mattress (or futon) so they can get around the cold conductivity problem of air mattresses.

One's everyday mattress/futon might be a bad choice, because it might get full of dust, but if you have a spare . . .

Savannah

Postby mytripod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Here is my kooky little shelter from my first year. Other than the shadecloth, I purchased virtually nothing. Way too broke after buying my ticket. My structure this year will be better, but still won't equate to the fancier ones.
mytripod

Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby CanniBass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 am

Hey we are from casper and are planning on going this year. if you wanna make some plans to meet or something that is cool. We are planning on renting a RV so we can cook.. lol
CanniBass

Postby mytripod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 am

A memory foam topper works great to eliminate that cold air problem with air mattresses. I camp a lot in the dead of winter and never go without my memory foam.
mytripod

Postby KeithT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 pm

We got our tent this week, and after some discussion I think we are going to go the cot route. We like the idea of added storage under the cots. We'll probably still go with a memory/egg-crate foam just to add a little bit to to comfort and insulation. Now that we have the tent I can get to work on the design for the monkeyhut!

Savannah - thanks for all your tips and advice!

CanniBass - Sounds good, feel free to send me a message to chat more. Maybe at the very least we can caravan out there. I think we are going to try and pre-cook as much as possible before heading out and then boil-in-bag to heat things up... cut down on cooking time and mess making while out there :)

mytripod - I love the "Slow Adults Playing!" I may have to do something similar :D
KeithT

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I do love my cot...
do not cheap out on this. those bargain aluminum ones will collapse when you sit on them wrong.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby KeithT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion theCryptofishist. I was just going to go with the coleman ones, any suggestions on what would be better?
KeithT

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I forgot who made mine.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

I'd bet the colemans are fine. I have a regular height one made by alps, and a short to the ground one that I love as well, mainly because it's small to transport: an allagash cot by Byer's of Maine. I use a thermarest on top, and have tried a trick that I believe made it warmer in very cold weather: an aluminized windshield shade between the cot and the pad. Air mattresses work fine if you think of a layer between you and the mattress... and then, have a back up plan, or patch kit, in case you know... pop.
kamprite makes a double cot, a double cot tent even
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby mytripod » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am

That's nice. I grew up with army cots and have never had the urge to sleep on one since.
mytripod

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!