BM 2014 TICKET SOLUTION

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

BM 2014 TICKET SOLUTION

Postby vertigo900 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 pm

BM 2014 TICKETS:

PROPOSAL FOR 2014:
All BORG staff involved in design or trouble-shooting any portion of the ticket purchasing experience will be required to jump through the same circus hoops their fellow burners jump through.

DETAILS:
Certainly, the BORG will comp the ticket via a unique promo code but all y'all must walk the plank along with the shark bait to come home.

Don't worry, the more hair you pull out...the easier it gets!

The water's warm, come on in...we just peed in it. :D :coffee:
Last edited by vertigo900 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vertigo900

Re: BM 2014 TICKET SOLUTION

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 pm

WRONG.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby vertigo900 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Gotta give you props, though. At least it was better than last years lotto!!! Thank you for finally retiring tiered ticket pricing! See you next year in the ticket queue...I'll bring the tequilla!
vertigo900

Postby vertigo900 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm

lemur wrote:WRONG.

Ooops...yeah I forgot to add a beverage symbol. never ever forget your beverage. how else are you supposed to warm up the water? thanks for catching that! CHEERS! :D :coffee:
vertigo900

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 pm

It may surprise you to learn that many staffers already do have to go through the process, in order to get tickets for spouses, significant others, kids, etc.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vertigo900 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

trilobyte wrote:It may surprise you to learn that many staffers already do have to go through the process, in order to get tickets for spouses, significant others, kids, etc.

I didn't realize this. Thanks Trilo! Hopefully some of them will be involved with improving next years ticket experience.
vertigo900

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm sure the process will continue to evolve.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby playaspyder » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am

It will evolve. It was sooooo much less stressful than last year. The queue order was kinda messed (it wasn't first come first serve, or at least didn't work out that way), the payment options should've been clearer earlier, and the credit card information should've been taken in the pre registration to avoid server overload/crashes, payment problems, and stress in the heat of the queue. All they really need to do now is work out a few kinks, and it'll mostly stand that if you're prepared, booked off for the day, and standing at attention when the sale starts, you'll probably get tickets. Which is how it seems so far it's mostly worked out this year. And hey, maybe one day they'll allow more people on the playa and we can all relax like we did before this whole "sold out" mind trip lol. Either way I'm glad now that I can feel confident in my ability to get a ticket, and know within a day where I stand. Last year I felt pretty powerless. Just do all the payment stuff separate first, with a ton of info, charge cards after, allow the code to lock a place in the queue, and everything will run smoothly. I think the majority of people are breathing relief right now anyway. I have a ticket, but if I didn't I'd much rather feel that anger or whatever today after waiting in line than be waiting in limbo for my name to be drawn out of a hat of a perceived 100000 people lol.
Think it, be it. Build it.......burn it down. Think again.
playaspyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby moddydev » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm

If it was too easy to get tickets there'd be more of a mad frustrating scramble and many more of us would NOT get tickets, but the day-long frustration should be minimized.
I think the idea of pre-registration was a very good one. It sorts out a good % of the people who are only half interested.
I'd propose adding another similar hurdle to weed out the dedicated few from the wannabes - maybe another pre-register #1 in order to qualify for pre-register #2 in order to enter the ticketing round. The pre-reg part over 3 days was very easy to manage this year. So you make the whole process difficult but not frustrating! Burners are used to jumping a few hoops.
moddydev

Burning Since: 2010

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 pm

move burning man to a different part of the desert that doesn't have a cap on the number of ppl
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

The cap doesn't have to do with the desert's capacity, but the highway's. They allow slow and steady growth and carefully monitor the impact not just on the environment, but on the roadways and neighboring communities. If we had 4 lanes from I-80 to the event's entrance, we would have no problem greatly increasing the population over today's numbers.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby vertigo900 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 am

moddydev wrote:I'd propose adding another similar hurdle to weed out the dedicated few from the wannabes - maybe another pre-register #1 in order to qualify for pre-register #2 in order to enter the ticketing round. The pre-reg part over 3 days was very easy to manage this year. So you make the whole process difficult but not frustrating! Burners are used to jumping a few hoops.

I agree. I proposed a similar idea to BORG along with a bunch of other features. One pre-reg idea was a word game hurdle which would be easy for vets and encourage newbies to learn about our event and what to expect. There would be various versions each year to make cheating more difficult. I suggested the pre-reg feature but I'm sure there were others suggesting similar concepts.

Personally I believe the next step is assigning names, photo ID #s, and/or portraits to virtual tickets and requiring ticket resales go directly through STEP. The portrait would be used to verify the ticket holder if they don't have an ID. This is the only way to put a stop to the aholes scalping tix. Glastonbury Fest had to resort to pre-reg w/ photo upload which is printed on the ticket, as well as a lotto. But doing all that is a lot more work and $.
vertigo900

Postby BBadger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:52 am

Shit, why stop there?

We should have twenty-six (26) pre-reg quiz rounds -- one for each year BM has existed -- to weed out all the rubes who haven't demonstrated their absolute fealty to the event from the very beginning. It'll be awesome, and we'll model it upon the test that immigrants need to take for citizenship. Instead of studying the constitution, they'll get quizzed on the principles, instead of reading and writing about US history, they get to write essays on Burning Man history. Don't worry, like "natural born" citizens and their national knowledge, the "true burners" won't be required to take the test even if they probably wouldn't know half the facts.

This will protect the event from those xeno-wannabes who want to steal the event from us true burners by imposing their degenerate customs, shitting in our public facilities, and even stealing our jobs and camp placement spots. We need bureaucratic hoops to jump through that'll discourage attendance so that only the people who put forth the maximum amount of effort can join our ranks. You can't just want to attend, you have to prove you should attend.

Then we'll take all those people who made up the quizzes and all those bureaucratic hoops for attending, and we'll take away all their tickets because they are the "wannabe" (or should we say, "think-they-be") burners who just "don't get it." And good riddance to them!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 am

I think that idea has merit, Bbadger.

I think we need a blood draw, too. If they don't have playa just in their veins, they'll never get it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CowTipper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 am

BBadger wrote:Shit, why stop there?

We should have twenty-six (26) pre-reg quiz rounds -- one for each year BM has existed

no kidding. instead of 26 pre-register rounds, can "I Participated" stubs with a single use authorization code be given to all burners who show up? Register the code within a month after exodus, and use the code next year to get in line 10 minutes earlier than general sale.... sale still starts at the same time and doesn't guarantee a ticket, it just gives dedicated burners a slightly better chance without excluding them from the joys of whatever ticket sale challenges which may or may not crop up that year.

(edit)

take that all back, turns out it's already been figured out:

[media]
CowTipper

Burning Since: 2012

Postby illy dilly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

CowTipper wrote:
BBadger wrote:Shit, why stop there?

We should have twenty-six (26) pre-reg quiz rounds -- one for each year BM has existed

no kidding. instead of 26 pre-register rounds, can "I Participated" stubs with a single use authorization code be given to all burners who show up? Register the code within a month after exodus, and use the code next year to get in line 10 minutes earlier than general sale.... sale still starts at the same time and doesn't guarantee a ticket, it just gives dedicated burners a slightly better chance without excluding them from the joys of whatever ticket sale challenges which may or may not crop up that year.

Or, to really reward long time Burners, people enter the serial number off of any ticket stubs they have. And for each year you enter, you get to enter the ticket que 5 minutes early. If you have more than 10 ticket stubs from different years, you are automatically taken straight to the Buy Tickets page.

This will also allow for the community to choose what newbies are more likely to get tickets. A veteran burner could sponsor a newbie and share some of their ticket stubs. This will in essence allow for experience Burners that "get it" to weed out non-burner types, and insure that only virgins that show promise are able to attend Burning Man.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Nipple » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm

All people wishing to have a ticket in 2014 should have to apply to me DIRECTLY with a screed detailing why I should ALLOW them to attend.

I will move the velvet rope for those I feel are WORTHY.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey, you've got another 52 48 posts to make before you reach the 1000, Queen of Burningman, mark.
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 pm

There will be no tickets in 2014!!!

$500 cash per head at the gate.

When we're full, everyone else get turned away. :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:20 am

Personally I would like to see tickets sold at exodus for the 2014 burn...:)
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby BBadger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I think we'd solve all the problems by just banning all first-post ticket solution posters!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Does that mean we can stop prep?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Does that mean we can stop prep?

Of course, last years burn was better anyways
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion