How to Join a Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: How to Join a Theme Camp

Postby OregonRed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Hey y'all... realize that I haven't posted in a while, but TheCO is my husband and I'm third in command in our camp, so I can say this with some authority...

My first Burn was 2001, and I have not missed a year out there since my first. I jokingly refer to 2000 as the year I missed, but the truth is I just didn't have my shit together enough to go in 2000. Money and circumstances were such, that had I done it, I would have been ill-prepared and miserable. Instead, in 2001 I went and camped with the theme camp I now help run. The fit was perfect, my experience was awesome, and I was prepared and had (some) idea of what to expect. I was recruited to my camp because I was into the theme, was eager to learn and willing to listen. Eleven burns later, I am happy to say that my theme camp is part of my family, and as such I am extremely protective of who joins my inner circle.

We recruit, we headhunt, and once in a great while we take on somebody new who has sought out our camp. The majority of our members are those who were silly enough to be friends with one of the vets in Camp Reality and heard enough great "This one time at Burning Man..." stories to decide that they wanted to come and play with us in the desert. Then (because playa is an addictive substance) they keep coming back. Any others are generally people we've gently recruited on playa after seeing them interact with BRC.

Because the people we take are (99% of the time) people we know and like already, the drama quotient in our camp is extremely low.

In spite of this we get contacted every year by people up to a few days before we leave for the playa from individuals that I find myself hoping never make it out to the Burn at all. If you haven't been planning for at least a year and/or you've never been high-desert camping in the summer before this year's event, stay home! Educate yourself! Next year was better anyway!!!
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby pinemom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am

Thems some words to live by RED!!!! ~
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby HandJamMasterC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 am

What's up with all the people that contact camps looking to join, then never reply to your return emails? I feel like I'm a used car being shopped. At least have the courtesy to say " thanks but we found a cooler camp to stay with " .

Rant over.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:34 am

I suppose in some instances they heard back sooner from another camp, and are needlessly embarrassed to say so, but it IS funny to watch someone have an over-the-top public freak out because they have no camp . . . and then watch them be cagey in public posts 3, 4, & 5 while they social-climb.

I understand wanting the right camp, most certainly . . . but you can't ask 12 girls to the prom if they know each other. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mr.Coffee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Savannah wrote: but you can't ask 12 girls to the prom if they know each other.

That would make such an awesome 80's movie...
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:15 pm

You'll end up exactly where you're supposed to be. That's what happened to me last year. And in all honesty, part of the fun is doing the research and figuring it all out.

XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Yup, total noob here planning a year out and reading every darn Post in the year's wait plus getting our (me and my man's) shit together. We're not expecting to join a Camp but if we get picked up by the Community here by like-minded folks, then so be it; otherwise, we're going to live the Experience every Moment while we are prepping, up to the Drive to the playa next year....
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 pm

OH and a very friendly "p.s."...definitely will be on the lookout for the Kink Camps..; )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

Eric wrote:Then there are Villages like Fandango- no dues, but each camp (and camper) is expected to be Self Reliant- as in: You Must Have Your Shit Together. People within Fandango are more than willing to help & share, but not if you're a mooch.

Of course, you do have to get vetted to join, but it's a nice way to do your own camp while being part of something bigger. There are other camps & villages set up the same way.

Personally, I don't think you could pay me to join a large Theme Camp, because I like the freedom to enjoy the playa I get from being in a smaller camp. I also have friends who swear by theme camps, so just like everything else at Burning Man there is no correct way to camp.

Fandango sounds like fun. :)

***Edit: I didn't know I could just edit if nobody else posted below me. Sorry Admins for having 3 Mini-Posts in a row... :oops: :oops: :oops:***

Kontradiction

Postby ultratang7 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm on the search for a camp to join for 2012. Last year was my first Burn, and I cannot wait to go back! (It's like a sickness, it has invaded my thoughts and all I can think about :) is the Playa). I would like to bring my partner out. He has no idea what to expect, but he is one of the those people that NEEDS to expirience the magic. We are both great home-steaders, good cooks.We'd both be a great addition to a camp, because between the two of us there isn't much we can't do. We'd like to work in a bar/alcohol camp, and we have a few ideas/resources we can bring to the table. my email is Ultratang7@aol.com. Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.
Did someone say Crisco-Twister???
ultratang7

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:55 pm

A little more details on your skills and a few clues as to what you are seeking philosophically.
Other than that, start reading your way through last year's camps to see what you're drawn to.

It is a little bit like a job interview, they want you to be enthusiastic about the camp's mission and to show how you can be an asset.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FenixFaye » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I assume my first year I should just go and scope things out.. committing to a camp without really knowing what to expect on the playa might be a tad much.. but I was curious if there has ever been an alien themed camp??
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm

FenixFaye wrote:I assume my first year I should just go and scope things out.. committing to a camp without really knowing what to expect on the playa might be a tad much..

Not a bad idea, especially if this seems natural to you. Lots of people show up solo, or with just a friend or two.

but I was curious if there has ever been an alien themed camp??

Alien Sighting by DigiDiva442, on Flickr

And there were probably heaps of alien camps in 2009 (Evolution theme) but I wasn't counting.
Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Shot in the dark.... yeah.

But don't let that stop you.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby forge » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm

This is my second year going to Burning Man. I am really excited to go again and really would like to dive in and help out a theme camp. I welcome the opportunity to meet some good new people. Last year my friends and I made our own theme camp but it looks like most of them are not going this year. Hard worker, fun guy, radically self reliant - wacky

gumbik (at) gmail (dot) com
forge

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Forge, welcome to the eplaya. We know a smidgin about you (male, wacky, self-reliant--I've heard that before--hard worker--that too--but...) but you might want to kind of "fill in the blanks." I mean, why would we, or anybody else for that matter, want you to be a campmate? I don't doubt you're a terrific guy, but I thought the same thing about Yvonness and she made brain-dead sparkle ponies look like Navy Seals. So, you might want to answer a few basic questions we all have: 1) where are you from? 2) how old are you (many camps are 21+ only); 3) does the gender/sexual orientation of the camp matter to to you; 4) what can you contribute that would actually make you someone we would want to join us rather than a waste of protoplasm; 5) many camps will not take you if preaching the value of 4:20 is a positive and are a burned out stoner; 6) you might want to pick a camp but when they ask "Why us?" be able to answer; 7) as far as my own camp is concerned, if you play bagpipes, are a DJ whose idea of fine music is dubstep (or a DJ at all for that matter), would rather be stoned than participating, are a drama queen (everybody say's they're not so don't even get me started), wear your politics on your sleeve (we do not give a shit where your politics lie, we're on vacation and if you can't get beyond that, go somewhere else), or are just plain unpleasent to be around, well, sorry. But if you're quite the opposite, there may be many camps willing to give you an interview. Just a thought.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Andrewty07 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:12 am

Hello everyone, I figured it was about time I start posting instead of just roaming about the forums. I have been on the eplaya for a couple months now after somewhat re-discovering burning man. There have been plenty of times I had seen it or reference to it but never really knew what it was about, then I came across this video:

I started digging though the logic behind it, principles etc. and decided it was the right place for me hah. So I tossed my name in the hat with the ticket lottery and we shall see what comes of it, regardless I will (hopefully) be a first time burner and would like to know how I could help anyone out. For now I am planning on bringing all my camping gear and needs to be completely independent, I am going to celebrate my transition from the military to civilian life because this years event is very close to the end of my contract. With my military background I have plenty experience in harsh environments such as 29 palms so it won't be much of a climate shock. That isn't what drew me in though, I am an artist in the core and have been chasing ways to make it a key part of my life. The military was just a method I chose to get the money I needed to invest in art school but that is just a little excess background on myself. Back to the point and why I posted in this forum, given my background would anyone be interested in network for some help with any project? whether creative, construction, planning, or carpooling ( I will be driving from near Oceanside California to the event.)
Andrewty07

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 am

Welcome, do post a thread up in the Introduce yourself forums.

We're Navy vets, there's a lot of assorted vets out there.

That little video created high interest in an otherwise sold out event. Beautiful, isn't it?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Bumpity-bump...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:18 am

Beautiful until the person who thinks Burning Man is just like that video gets out to the playa and realizes there are people who aren't thin and dust storms :wink: And even some ugly stuff, and a few dark corners, and cops
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby trashmansion » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Beautiful until the person who thinks Burning Man is just like that video gets out to the playa and realizes there are people who aren't thin and dust storms And even some ugly stuff, and a few dark corners, and cops

AMEN.
trashmansion

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Trash Mansion

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm

OregonRed I was in the same boat.....Crazingly enough my first year was supposed to be 1999 or 2000 but I was just not ready and did not know the right folks I wanted to spend the week with and I certainly did not have the resources to make a shower and did not want to camp alone.
ALMOST went in 2004, but was Just.....Not....Ready.....yet....Still not the right theme camp/situation

2005 a couple of Beeeutiful ladies moved to Nevada City from Salt Lake. They attended the music festival I am a part of (High Sierra 4EVAH) so I met them through a bluegrass band called Hot Buttered Rum. When we all met it was love at first sight. They SCOOPED me up properly, showed me the tips on what to bring, ziplocs and bins and how to make fuzzy burny outfits, and brought me to Cosmic Recess/Lustre villlage/Glitter Camp, mostly utah kind folk, and it was just Serendipitous. My first burn was fucking fantastic. I paid $40 for showers and some meals and lots of cozy. I never realized I could do that, I thought I would have to build my own shower or something. I was a part of Lustre for 5 years. One of the girls passed away 6 months after my first Burning man. RIP MIssy Baron thank you for bringing me righteously to the playa. I think about you every time they light up that temple and then some. Thank you Missy

Sorry I just had to tell that story...blah blah blah ;) I guess the point is, go when it feels right!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby CrispyDave » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Just ask, most theme or volunteer camps are happy to have you.
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I searched back as far as I could via Search function, and this seems to be the most appropriate thread for my question (I could of course start a new one, but you all seem to already be sort of talking about it here), so....

1) Joining a camp. It just seems odd to me. I mean, I guess it makes sense and is a great way to "plug n play" if you will. But, as a Virgin, my assumption was that all of these camps sprung up organically. Meaning, group of guys/gals in Santa Clara start "Barbie Death Village" (first one that came to mind) and go year after year. Their theme evolves, they bring on new friends, etc. And yes, they all have required/suggested dues to sustain the camp's expenses.

But the idea that I go on the BMan website, pick a camp I like the sound of, go to their website, sign up, pay them money, and then I'm in a camp? That seems really odd to me. Do a lot of people do this?

As a point of reference, my "camp" is not registered, but has a name, and is a group of maybe 60 people (not all go every year) that has grown organically over time by core members inviting new friends, and so on.

2) closed camps. How do you tell which ones are closed and which are open? Obviously if you walk into a closed one you may know rather quickly. But do the closed camps waive flags of "Private Camp" at their entrances? Is there a little box they check on the BMan website list of camps?

Again, I'm a naive Virgin here, but it seems odd to me that there are closed camps. It makes sense to some extent (like-minded, want to do things in private), but at the same time, I think of TTITD as being all-inclusive.

What am I missing on these two topics?

Thank you for your wonderful insight.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Am I the only person who thought that "Oh the Places You'll Go" video was pretty tacky and commercialized? IDK, maybe it's just me. I turned off the sound after a minute or two just so I could look at the scenery. It was staged, and felt that way. Are those people the official spokespeople of BM? I want to do a video that's not all happy and fluffy. Show the real ish. The spur of the moment, off the wall, not always pretty or safe, side of things. Get gangsta wid it, like the young whippersnappers are saying these days. Well, maybe not these days. More like in 1999. But oh well
Earthwalker

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

OregonRed wrote:Hey y'all... realize that I haven't posted in a while, but TheCO is my husband and I'm third in command in our camp, so I can say this with some authority...

I'm sarcastic much of the time, but am seriously asking this question...is this comment for real? Are there really ranks within camps?

Ok, now the sarcasm....I hope to start out as a Semen Recruit this year and eventually make my way up to Chief Botswains Mate on our ship-themed art car.

Third in command. That's awesome. Do you get a brand that you can brand virgins with who aren't doing enough chores around camp?

:twisted:
Earthwalker

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Earthwalker wrote:I searched back as far as I could via Search function, and this seems to be the most appropriate thread for my question (I could of course start a new one, but you all seem to already be sort of talking about it here), so....

1) Joining a camp. It just seems odd to me. I mean, I guess it makes sense and is a great way to "plug n play" if you will. But, as a Virgin, my assumption was that all of these camps sprung up organically. Meaning, group of guys/gals in Santa Clara start "Barbie Death Village" (first one that came to mind) and go year after year. Their theme evolves, they bring on new friends, etc. And yes, they all have required/suggested dues to sustain the camp's expenses.

But the idea that I go on the BMan website, pick a camp I like the sound of, go to their website, sign up, pay them money, and then I'm in a camp? That seems really odd to me. Do a lot of people do this?

Many people do not. I never have. I first camped with a group of 20 acquaintances, then spent a number of years either camping with one other friend, alone, or in a village-style camp (not really a theme camp).

As a point of reference, my "camp" is not registered, but has a name, and is a group of maybe 60 people (not all go every year) that has grown organically over time by core members inviting new friends, and so on.

That's pretty normal. There are many ways to go about it.

2) closed camps. How do you tell which ones are closed and which are open? Obviously if you walk into a closed one you may know rather quickly. But do the closed camps waive flags of "Private Camp" at their entrances? Is there a little box they check on the BMan website list of camps?

It may be more apparent to you when you get there.

Most theme camps are pretty obvious--they have signs out front, & decorations. They look welcoming, and have public areas (and private areas for living) and sometimes "business hours" (so they can make their food or drink last the week). The public areas usually have signs or bars or dance floors, and are well-lit at night. There may be obvious foot traffic. There will be staff. If they're bored, they may wave you over. The theme may be apparent, but you can also walk up and ask.

Plenty of camps are private, by which I mean people are there to eat and sleep and socialize with a few close friends. This is not a bad thing. It may be their first year, or they may contribute or interact in other ways. For example, a person can volunteer in a department down the street or pilot a mutant vehicle around the Esplanade all day driving people around, but not want to play host in their own home. If in doubt, ask. If you don't see anyone to ask, don't go in. No one is obligated to welcome someone else into their living space, although you may be beckoned over to have a drink, or might stop and make a friend or ask directions.

Again, I'm a naive Virgin here, but it seems odd to me that there are closed camps. It makes sense to some extent (like-minded, want to do things in private), but at the same time, I think of TTITD as being all-inclusive.

It's a pretty inclusive place, but it's not as if all human boundaries fall by the wayside. For reasons of safety, decompression and reflection, people will still want little areas of privacy (personal tent, personal shade, etc).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Sounds reasonable. I probably ask too many questions and should just experience it. I guess I was just taken slightly aback by some of the descriptions of some of these "closed camps". Brought back bad memories of being the guy no one picked for kickball
Earthwalker

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Sounds reasonable. I probably ask too many questions and should just experience it. I guess I was just taken slightly aback by some of the descriptions of some of these "closed camps". Brought back bad memories of being the guy no one picked for kickball

Ah! I see. :)

Don't let it stress you out. You'll see what I mean when you get there. It's a pretty welcoming city.

Many times when people make disparaging remarks about closed camps, they are talking about very expensive tour buses circling the wagons and worse, not offering anything. Those are annoying to look at. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Haha, I bet they are! Seems to totally be against the spirit of the event.

I dont' know how I'm going to make it through these next 6 months. I want to go NOW!!! I take solace in prepping. I have all the material to build a monkey hut so I'll be putting together a first run tonight. As soon as I get this thing figured out it's on to Figjam's bucket cooler. Will also start costume shopping/making.

I'm going to be one of those people who get's there and rubs playa dust all over ever square inch of my body. I may even eat some. It feels like home already.

I just drooled...

:)
Earthwalker

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Theme Camps