Has anyone used a surplus military tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Has anyone used a surplus military tent?

Postby CornMan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm

My experience with such things is that prices are sky high until I buy one of those things. Then all the bargains start surfacing on craigslist.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Capt. RON » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Well you can buy a brand spanking new KODIAK or SPRINGBAR for less money and they are pretty much bomb proof and have a full floor

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

There's a sight that sells them for a lot less

http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr=pr ... MgodgWQAkA

I was in SLC last summer and went to both showrooms and went for the KODIAK over the SPRINGBAR based on features and price points
"It's only smoking if you inhale" Daddy WARBUCKS Cigar Lounge at the ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN camp
http://orphanendorphin.com/cigar.html
Capt. RON

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:This photo is actually staged. What they did was set up some stuff on the Black Rock Desert, happened upon a very windy day, and then took the picture.

How do you know this particular photograph was staged?? (he asks in a non-hostile kind of way... ;))
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Rice wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:This photo is actually staged. What they did was set up some stuff on the Black Rock Desert, happened upon a very windy day, and then took the picture.

How do you know this particular photograph was staged?? (he asks in a non-hostile kind of way... ;))

By the shadow of the giant fan in the foreground.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Rice wrote:

By the shadow of the giant fan in the foreground.

I see what looks like the shadow of the tent. . . That is not exactly a high resolution picture
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby TomServo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Never tried one, but I like these modular tents..

If it's zipped up, I imagine it would get pretty warm during the day. Dust...just deal with it. But, with some better Stakes, I'd feel pretty comfortable with the structure holding up in a wind storm. An investment, I would take care of, like my own car though!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 am

Capt. RON wrote:Well you can buy a brand spanking new KODIAK or SPRINGBAR for less money and they are pretty much bomb proof and have a full floor

I was in SLC last summer and went to both showrooms and went for the KODIAK over the SPRINGBAR based on features and price points

My GF and I purchased a Kodiak tent for the 2012 burn. It was AWESOME!!! Rock solid and the only dust inside was what was on our shoes... (it was up on the playa for 15 days)

If you look around the web, you might be able to find the Kodiak for a cheaper price.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 am

I know I've asked this before, but how small do those Springbars pack?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I know I've asked this before, but how small do those Springbars pack?

We have the 10x14 Kodiak. It does not pack very small and weighs about 80 pounds. - Not the ideal tent for anyone who flies to Burning Man. (I drive up from San Fran & have somewhere to store it, so I don't need to drag it on the plane every time)

Specs:
Pack Weight: 79 lbs. (includes 6.5 lbs in stakes).
Pack Size: Tent-- Length 30 in. Diameter 16 in., Poles-- Length 48 in. Diameter 5.5 in.
Capacity: 8-person.
Ceiling Material: 10 oz Hydra-shieldTM canvas.
Wall Material: 8.5 oz Hydra-ShieldTM canvas.
Floor Material: 16 oz vinyl. Polyester reinforced, seamless.
Frame: 1-inch, galvanized, steel tubing.
Flex-Bow Rods: 3/8-inch, solid, spring steel.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/6014/

I hope this helps (sorry for not having the brand you asked about!!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

Well that seems like something that would fit in my van at least. And I don't know how similier the springbar and kodiaks are, but the terms do seem to be interchangeable--on this board at least. But I don't actually know that they are, so any fault is mine.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Well that seems like something that would fit in my van at least. And I don't know how similier the springbar and kodiaks are, but the terms do seem to be interchangeable--on this board at least. But I don't actually know that they are, so any fault is mine.

We can get ours into a newish VW Beetle... (with our shade and gear for 2+ weeks on-playa)
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

Rice wrote:We can get ours into a newish VW Beetle...

Two in the front seat, three in the back seat, fifty in the ashtray.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Shaolinskunk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Capt. RON wrote:Well you can buy a brand spanking new KODIAK or SPRINGBAR for less money and they are pretty much bomb proof and have a full floor

I've looked at these and I do like them... A 10x10 for 499.99 isn't bad! I kind of prefer the look of the military tents... And are not too far off on price. Plus there's a surplus store 15 mins from my house, not sure if I'd save too much on shipping but I'll def consider these.
Shaolinskunk

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Shaolinskunk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 pm

TomServo wrote:Never tried one, but I like these modular tents..

If it's zipped up, I imagine it would get pretty warm during the day. Dust...just deal with it. But, with some better Stakes, I'd feel pretty comfortable with the structure holding up in a wind storm. An investment, I would take care of, like my own car though!

Exactly... This is one of the ones I've been checking out :D
Shaolinskunk

Postby Capt. RON » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:28 pm

NO Wait..... if you follow this link http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr=pr ... -28-605111
Get the BASIC 10x10 $370.00, and FREE shipping. It's got (2) less windows, which is a good thing because that means less dust
"It's only smoking if you inhale" Daddy WARBUCKS Cigar Lounge at the ORPHAN / ENDORPHIN camp
Capt. RON

Postby Capt. RON » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Fishy... the Kodiak is an "import" version of the original SPRINGBAR. Dimensions and features are very similar. I spent hours at Kirkham's in SLC going over the SPRINGBAR, and hours at a big box sporting good store, dissecting the KODIAK. I ended up going with the KODIAK because of the heavy duty floor and the better designed doors and windows. Price was also a factor with KODIAK at $379.00 vs $619 for the SPRINGBAR
Capt. RON

Postby Capt. RON » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Fishy, we met at the ORPHANAGE bar last year, (yeah I know, you were at a lot of bars last year) Anyway I think this new KELTY tent might be of interest to you.It does NOT use conventional tent poles, but rather it utilizes an AIRBEAM system. You just pump the sucker up and away you go. I experimented with one at the OUTDOOR Retailer show and am convinced that this could easily withstand the winds of the PLAYA.
http://www.kelty.com/p-733-mach-4.aspx? ... s-shelters
Capt. RON

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

I had a nice time dropping by (it was pretty exciting to see Orphan/Endorphin at last), but the secret is, I don't do well with remembering people.
I just cannot take the damn carport with me, too many scary poles, so I need to figure out something else...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Shaolinskunk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 am

Capt. RON wrote:NO Wait..... if you follow this link http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr=pr ... -28-605111
Get the BASIC 10x10 $370.00, and FREE shipping. It's got (2) less windows, which is a good thing because that means less dust

Did you get the flex-bow version? IF so does it make much of a difference?

That kelty tent looks cool but I would be scared to try it haha

Thank you-
Shaolinskunk

Postby Major Krash » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm

I have a gp medium army tent (16'x32' floor space)...I think it is a great addition to a BM camp. The sides roll-up making it a canopy, and when the dust storms hit and the sides are rolled down you can barely tell. Yes, they do get a bit hot during the day, but with the sides rolled up the shade becomes a communal space. Mine also came with a white cotton liner that tied to the inside. In 2005 with this liner and a top covering of swedish snow camo we had the inside so cool people were wrapping up in blankets to nap inside during the day (well, we had a swamp cooler too).

They do take a few people to set-up and take down, but I recommend one.
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Rice wrote:

My GF and I purchased a Kodiak tent for the 2012 burn. It was AWESOME!!! Rock solid and the only dust inside was what was on our shoes... (it was up on the playa for 15 days)

If you look around the web, you might be able to find the Kodiak for a cheaper price.

I have the kodiak. Spectacular tent. Thing did not budge once last year.
They have to 10x10 deluxe on amazon. Find someone with Amazon prime and get it shipped for free.

I lucked out last year. Dick's was selling them. I had a coupon, a code for free shipping and another coupon that stacked. Saved about $100.

I just checked. They don't carry them anymore.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Capt. RON » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Capt. RON

Postby Shaolinskunk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Major Krash wrote:I have a gp medium army tent (16'x32' floor space)...I think it is a great addition to a BM camp. The sides roll-up making it a canopy, and when the dust storms hit and the sides are rolled down you can barely tell. Yes, they do get a bit hot during the day, but with the sides rolled up the shade becomes a communal space. Mine also came with a white cotton liner that tied to the inside. In 2005 with this liner and a top covering of swedish snow camo we had the inside so cool people were wrapping up in blankets to nap inside during the day (well, we had a swamp cooler too).

They do take a few people to set-up and take down, but I recommend one.

I really like that the sides roll up! Almost like a 2 in 1 thing. How much space does it take up when it's all packed up?
Shaolinskunk

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 am

My guess is about the same as a carport...roughly 3.5 foot X 1.5foot X 1.5foot? Major Krash?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AbundantChoice » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 am

Yeah, to echo what was said before, Kodiaks and Springbars are almost identical. Kodiaks are made in China, but other than that they are incredibly similar. I think the floor on the Kodiak is a bit nicer, and the deluxe Kodiak model (vs the basic) also comes with a nice "gear loft" thing that you can attach to the inside of the top of the tent to store stuff out of the way (and two small vents near the tops of the sides you will want to keep closed on playa). I think the "deluxe" model also uses a more hardcore zipper for the doors and windows than the basic. Other than that, the deluxe and basic are essentially the same.

One really nice thing w/ the Kodiak/Springbar design is one person really can set it up (well, the 10*10 and 10*14s at least), and it goes up incredibly fast. But note that the tents are *not* freestanding; you have to stake the corners down or it won't work at all. That doesn't really matter on the playa, but if you were ever planning to use the tent on a surface where you couldn't stake the tent into the ground, it simply won't work.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby Trishntek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

Man! If you are spending that kind of money, buy a Kodiak or Springbar canvas tent brand new! You will have a floor, they are damn wind and dust resistant, and weigh a helluva lot less than a military tent.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Shaolinskunk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Trishntek wrote:Man! If you are spending that kind of money, buy a Kodiak or Springbar canvas tent brand new! You will have a floor, they are damn wind and dust resistant, and weigh a helluva lot less than a military tent.

I might! It's a tough decision... I'd like to see one in person but am nowhere even close to a retailer.
Shaolinskunk

Postby Capt. RON » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm

What? you can't swing a dead cat, without hitting a BASS PRO or CABELAS store......
Capt. RON

Postby Shaolinskunk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Capt. RON wrote:What? you can't swing a dead cat, without hitting a BASS PRO or CABELAS store......

Midland tx my man..... Middle of nowhere. I think I'm probably a few hours from either. I have plenty of time though-
Shaolinskunk

Postby socks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Put up a monkey hut then put your tent inside
monkey hut cost 65.00 cheap 3 man tent 30.00 The plus is you can
sleep late. Another tip is before you leave your camp for the day
spread a sheet over your stuff in your tent.It makes for a easy clean up
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping