LED utili-tutu

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 am

I finished a Burning Man costume project this weekend and I need to share it with someone! Inspired by this video this video of an LED tutu and the whole mens utili-kilt thing, I created an LED utili-tutu. Behold:

[media]


It runs on 4xAA batteries and right now has a handful of different modes, which you can cycle through with one button. The sweet thing is the microcontroller plugs into the computer with a micro USB port, so I can keep adding modes as I think of them (and as I sucker my significant other into helping me program them). All the electronics reside in a single pocket, leaving me with three large utili-pockets free to stuff with whatever I please!

Thank you to whoever recommended I use the Fabric Stik fabric glue (I think it was junglesmacks). I used an entire package on this to attach the LEDs, and when it turned out that the tulle was too ungainly to sew into the belt portion as I had originally planned. The only thing I need to figure out now is some kind of trim to cover up the unsightly glue and tulle lumps at the base of the skirt. :?

Here's what it looks like, lights off:

tutu_frontview.jpg

tutu_backview.jpg

tutu_microcontroller.jpg


I need to get back to work on the LED vests I was planning, but I decided I want to order some FLAT LED strips (the lights I purchased stick out way too far). Any leads on flat, addressable RGB LED strips with about 30 lights per metre for a good price (i.e., less than $10 a metre), let me know! :) I'll go back and check the fur coat threads, as I know a few people used these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Krokodyle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 am

Wow, looking great! Kudos!
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
User avatar
Krokodyle
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby TT120 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

That is awesome!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
User avatar
TT120
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Elorrum » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 am

Awesome!!! I love it!!! techno whimsy functionality fantastic.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Zhust » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Machina wrote:I finished a Burning Man costume project this weekend and I need to share it with someone! Inspired by this video this video of an LED tutu and the whole mens utili-kilt thing, I created an LED utili-tutu.


Fan fucking tastic. That looks most awesome. As soon as I read the title I knew I wanted something like it. Although I have a new night-time outfit planned that, frankly, I really need to get going on.

One thing is I don't think anybody looks very close at much of anything at Burning Man, so don't sweat an ugly seam or two.

Another thing: I'd pay attention to wires getting ripped off of things. I did an okay job with my LED coat last year but still had a few individual LEDs rip out — thankfully I had overdone the connections between boards with CAT-5 cable so those lasted just fine. Relatedly, get an enclosure of sorts for your board and battery. At a minimum, spray the final design with "conformal circuit board coating" (which, as best I can tell, is just clear acrylic paint) then goop it in silicone if you want to make it quite waterproof. Playa dust will corrode and weaken solder and any bare metal, and with a little moisture it'll conduct a little, so it may flake out the LilyPad controller board.

Machina wrote:I need to get back to work on the LED vests I was planning, but I decided I want to order some FLAT LED strips (the lights I purchased stick out way too far). Any leads on flat, addressable RGB LED strips with about 30 lights per metre for a good price (i.e., less than $10 a metre), let me know! :) I'll go back and check the fur coat threads, as I know a few people used these.


The first thing I thought of was Adafruit's addressable LED strip but it's $30 for a meter. I think that's as flat as you can get. I don't think it's really all that much higher in quality than cheap crap you can get drop-shipped from east Asia, but at least it might have gone through a little quality testing. Unless the LED strip is really easy to replace, spend a little more to get something that's more reliable.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
User avatar
Zhust
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

Such, such nice work!! I love the way that the material diffuses the LED light proving that less can be more with the right application. So, so cool! Isn't that fabric glue cool, too? Illy Dilly was the first to show it to me last year on playa and it literally saved my whole outfit.

As Zhust said, don't worry about the little details. It will be night when you're wearing it, and the best effect will be from slightly afar anyway. No one including you will even notice anything like that once you're out there..

..and now you're really, really making me want to go RGB this year instead of dual color. I want that lumen valuuuuuuuuuuue though and too many RGB LEDs end up being so much current and power consumption...

So little to do and so much time. Wait. Strike that. Reverse it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Zhust wrote:Another thing: I'd pay attention to wires getting ripped off of things. I did an okay job with my LED coat last year but still had a few individual LEDs rip out — thankfully I had overdone the connections between boards with CAT-5 cable so those lasted just fine. Relatedly, get an enclosure of sorts for your board and battery. At a minimum, spray the final design with "conformal circuit board coating" (which, as best I can tell, is just clear acrylic paint) then goop it in silicone if you want to make it quite waterproof. Playa dust will corrode and weaken solder and any bare metal, and with a little moisture it'll conduct a little, so it may flake out the LilyPad controller board.


I was wondering about that--and the dust. Right now, the batteries are in their own battery pack, and I've just hot glued the controller and the button to the outside of the pack to keep it all together (and keep the wires from getting crazy); the whole unit is stuffed into one pocket and I can remove it (used a male/female connector). Never heard of "conformal circuit board coating" but I am an electronics noob, and will certainly Google it now. At the least, it sounds like I should cover the solders with something. Maybe I can fashion some kind of protective case for the whole thing. I wonder if I can mod one of those waterproof electronic baggies. Hmmm... you've got me thinking!

Zhust wrote:The first thing I thought of was Adafruit's addressable LED strip but it's $30 for a meter. I think that's as flat as you can get. I don't think it's really all that much higher in quality than cheap crap you can get drop-shipped from east Asia, but at least it might have gone through a little quality testing. Unless the LED strip is really easy to replace, spend a little more to get something that's more reliable.


My significant other has been ordering the addressable strips with 60 lights per metre from China for about $11 per metre, and they are fabulous! (He has created a hat and a light-up staff so far). He claims that they are the same stuff that other companies purchase and then resell for $20-$30 per metre, so I wonder... I was thinking 60 lights per metre may be quite dense for the vest I want to make. But then again, if there's one place that overkill is quite acceptable and even celebrated, it's Burning Man! I will keep looking and if I find them, I will certainly share the location. :D
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:06 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Isn't that fabric glue cool, too? Illy Dilly was the first to show it to me last year on playa and it literally saved my whole outfit.


The fabric glue is THE BEST. Ever. I had planned to sew the tulle over the LEDs, but it was too crazy. The fabric glue literally saved/made the whole project possible. THANK YOU again for telling me about it! So glad I ordered 5 baggies of it!
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about the conformal coating or freaking out about playa dust and the control board. I've used the same board 3 burns in a row with zero problems just stuffed in a fanny pack.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Awesome work, congrats!
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10638
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby gypsy68 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Love it!
User avatar
gypsy68
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

THANKS!

I think I am going to use these LEDs for the fur vest (I'm going to remove the weatherproofing). :)
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Machina wrote:THANKS!

I think I am going to use these LEDs for the fur vest (I'm going to remove the weatherproofing). :)



Do you know the specs on the microcontroller you're using and how much current you can pull through it without a problem? Those strips use a good amount of power..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Damn. That's sweet!


Now I'm wanting something LED. Just what I need, more projects...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Zhust » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 am

Machina wrote:I'm going to remove the weatherproofing.


If it's anything like the weatherproof RGB LED strip (non-addressable) that I have, umm, no you won't. It's something like clear silicone that is extruded right onto the strip. It's actually quite difficult to get enough stripped off to solder on wires.

LEDStrip.jpg


(Not my soldering job.)

The stuff that is direct-shipped is, typically the same product as sold to other vendors who sell it for a markup, but you're far more likely to get "seconds" that don't meet the quality specifications, and you're probably out of luck if you do have a problem. But usually the stuff will work. At least for a while.

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
User avatar
Zhust
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby VultureChow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 am

Zhust wrote:
The stuff that is direct-shipped is, typically the same product as sold to other vendors who sell it for a markup, but you're far more likely to get "seconds" that don't meet the quality specifications, and you're probably out of luck if you do have a problem. But usually the stuff will work. At least for a while.

Good luck!



Yerp. I got my led pixels direct shipped and the mounting jobs is definitely sub par and not uniform. They work fine and I'm using a slightly larger drill bit than necessary, so they fit. But there's a lack of quality control there.

Though the biggest problem has actually been trying to drill even holes in a vintage welding helmet. I screwed up a few, but I'm going to run them all today to see if I can live with it. If not, I'll have to find another helmet.

Also, spectacular tutu! If you ever can't convince your man to do some programming, I can probably help you out. That's my favorite part.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:19 am

It's not. If you look at the product listing that she provided, it's the sleeved type not the epoxy type. Super easy to remove.

Also, I know who manufacturers Adafruit's strips and there is zero difference between those and the ones that they ship direct from China. Zero. Sites like Adafruit take advantage of are a one stop shop place for those that don't know where to find things themselves.. for a price. YMMV. It all comes down to the individual vendor and knowing where to go.


Zhust wrote:
Machina wrote:I'm going to remove the weatherproofing.


If it's anything like the weatherproof RGB LED strip (non-addressable) that I have, umm, no you won't. It's something like clear silicone that is extruded right onto the strip. It's actually quite difficult to get enough stripped off to solder on wires.

LEDStrip.jpg


(Not my soldering job.)

The stuff that is direct-shipped is, typically the same product as sold to other vendors who sell it for a markup, but you're far more likely to get "seconds" that don't meet the quality specifications, and you're probably out of luck if you do have a problem. But usually the stuff will work. At least for a while.

Good luck!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:27 am

So fucking awesome, Machina!!!! 8) 8) 8) You are sparking so many ideas in my head right now, STOP STOP STOP. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please wear this awesomely beautiful creation to the Meet & Greet !!!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 am

MyDearFriend wrote:So fucking awesome, Machina!!!! 8) 8) 8) You are sparking so many ideas in my head right now, STOP STOP STOP. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please wear this awesomely beautiful creation to the Meet & Greet !!!


Oh, I will wear it for sure... and hopefully a matching white vest, haha.

junglesmacks wrote:Do you know the specs on the microcontroller you're using and how much current you can pull through it without a problem? Those strips use a good amount of power..


I haven't purchased a microcontroller for this project yet... hoping to figure out the lights first. I'm an electronics noob so was trying to understand the whole current/volts/amps things yesterday with the bf; he claimed that if I used a 5V battery pack, 5V controller, then added a regulator ($10), it would up the voltage and power the 12V lights just fine. Immediately I thought this would destroy battery life, though. He said that they only use 3.2 amps to power 5 metres while comparable lights use 11.2 for 5 metres; so even with the regulator upping the voltage, the first lights would still be more efficient. But I still don't know if this means 1 hour of battery life instead of half an hour, or what! I am trying to explore all options here so someone tell me if this sounds incorrect. :D

Zhust wrote:The stuff that is direct-shipped is, typically the same product as sold to other vendors who sell it for a markup, but you're far more likely to get "seconds" that don't meet the quality specifications, and you're probably out of luck if you do have a problem. But usually the stuff will work. At least for a while.


We've had really good luck with this seller, so far... we've ordered a few batches of the denser LED strips, and they are AWESOME. I will try convince the bf to post a video of his furry LED hat. It is trippy.

Thanks for all the feedback and LED commentary... I am getting seriously addicted to this, and now thinking, "What else can I deck out in LEDs?"
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby cherryblossom73 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:30 am

Your tutu is awesome!!! I am so happy to hear that as an "LED noob" you are having such amazing success. I am currently working on a 'little black light dress' in the same vein as Junglesmacks' pants. I'm constructing my own dress base and light panels (LEDs are not here yet, so I'm doing all the prep work) and just got the mini-controller in the mail on Saturday. This will be my first venture into soldering and electronics. I'm a little nervous, but *so* excited to get started! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
User avatar
cherryblossom73
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 pm
Location: CO
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Krokodyle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 am

Machina wrote:I haven't purchased a microcontroller for this project yet... hoping to figure out the lights first. I'm an electronics noob so was trying to understand the whole current/volts/amps things yesterday with the bf; he claimed that if I used a 5V battery pack, 5V controller, then added a regulator ($10), it would up the voltage and power the 12V lights just fine. Immediately I thought this would destroy battery life, though. He said that they only use 3.2 amps to power 5 metres while comparable lights use 11.2 for 5 metres; so even with the regulator upping the voltage, the first lights would still be more efficient. But I still don't know if this means 1 hour of battery life instead of half an hour, or what! I am trying to explore all options here so someone tell me if this sounds incorrect. :D


You and me both. I'm pretty handy with the soldering gun, but the whole 5v bat/5v cont/regulator part mystifies me... :? But I'm checking out other threads, I'm sure there's info there.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
User avatar
Krokodyle
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Very inventive pocket belt solution!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
User avatar
some seeing eye
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: The Oregon
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby Machina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:53 pm

cherryblossom73 wrote:Your tutu is awesome!!! I am so happy to hear that as an "LED noob" you are having such amazing success. I am currently working on a 'little black light dress' in the same vein as Junglesmacks' pants. I'm constructing my own dress base and light panels (LEDs are not here yet, so I'm doing all the prep work) and just got the mini-controller in the mail on Saturday. This will be my first venture into soldering and electronics. I'm a little nervous, but *so* excited to get started! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!


THANK YOU! It is not as tricky as I thought (so far), and there are a ton of online resources. Your project sounds awesome and I'm betting it will work out quite well! :D

illy dilly wrote:FWIW, I recently learned, the hard way, that if you try and switch your hot glue gun back to regular glue, you need to run about 2 or 3 of the long sticks of the regular glue through your gun to get all the white-ish fabric glue out. When the two glues come out together and sorta mixed they dry/cure with different flexibility and adhesiveness.
FWIW#2, the fabric glue does not stick to Aluminum very well. Other wise I'd always leave the fabric glue in. :wink:


Good to know, thanks... since my glue gun was all of $7, I think I will just leave the fabric glue in it!
User avatar
Machina
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Location: Canada
Burning Since: 2010

Re: LED utili-tutu

Postby cherryblossom73 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Machina!! :D

junglesmacks wrote:How are you planning on attaching them? Just poking them through? If so, I would highly recommend using the 4 prong superflux type like this. They will sit nice and flush with the fabric while not flopping like a 5mm dome LED.


I'm actually making up some panels that will then attach to the dress. Not quite as sturdy as the plastic boards you used, but not just attaching to fabric. I am fusing some of the extra dress fabric to some super stiff interfacing that I will then stick the LEDs through. I'm currently working through my options of attaching the panels to the dress. I'd like to be able to have easy enough access *if* I do need to do some repairs on playa. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. :wink:

EDIT: those four prong lights are awesome! I'll have to think about those for future projects... 8)
User avatar
cherryblossom73
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 pm
Location: CO
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle


Return to Clothing & Playawear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests