Long Distance Burning Logistics

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Long Distance Burning Logistics

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:25 pm

dangerous wrote:this will be my 2013 challenge.

coming from Toronto, my first decision will be drive or fly.

i would only consider driving the 40 hours if there were four in the group driving non-stop. the last trip took two of us 3&1/2 days driving 12-16 hours a day and it sucked!

flying would be cheapest into Vegas, but obviously Reno would be an easier last leg in; no?

Reno, yes, Vegas is a maybe. Also look at major air hubs such as Denver, Phoenix or Salt Lake City.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Zhust » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Since I sold my car, I started taking the train. I was ready to do it in 2011 but a fluke caused the cancellation. In 2012, I did it. It has a lot of similarities to going by car (bring lots of stuff: 3x 50lb. checked bags, 2x 50lb. carry-on; but a long trip) and flying (somebody else does the driving). It can get a bit expensive if you get a roomette to sleep in (2 days nights is all I can really handle in coach, so I do). I have a credit card for Amtrak points and in 2012 I paid for 4 roomette days with it; note that it's not obvious but you only pay for one roomette (or sleeper) even with 2 people, and the other person just pays the much cheaper "rail fee".

Water is the killer. I made a heavy-duty luggage cart. I filled about 8 gallons worth of bag-in-box bags and dragged all 300 pounds of stuff in with me, using the "To Flame" bus. I'm going to try and get in with the small theme camp I was with last year and get water from them. That will save me a lot. Also, I'm forgoing a mid-size art project and instead focusing on a promised smaller project and getting a new light-up outfit for night.

And bells. I think I want bells this year.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
dangerous wrote:flying would be cheapest into Vegas, but obviously Reno would be an easier last leg in; no?

Yes, Reno all the way. The slightly higher airfare will save you even more expenditures in gas $$ and time. Reno, Reno, Reno.

Dont discount Boise - its a viable option. Lots of RVs for rent as well.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Jackass » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Apprentice Dreamer wrote:This'll be my 1st time at BM and I'm going to be flying in from the UK, probably to San Francisco & hiring a car from there. As the amount of stuff I can bring over's going to be severely limited I'll need to buy stuff in USA.

I was wondering if someone could give me a pointer as to what I should expect to pay to pick up gear & places to pick it up, then I'll have a beter idea of what I'll need to/be able to bring over & what I can get in USA. Obviously not wanting to spend too much as I'll probably be donating most of it once BM's over. Cheers, useful thread

Depending on quality and quantity, these are lower end, non-sale, walmart pricing rough figures off the top of my head. YMMV. (Body paint I really have no idea on, I have never bought the stuff)

cooking stove...$40-50
tent, 12" pegs & shade thing...$60-120
glow stuff - where can I get this in SF?...$20-50
bike - I figure walmart but how much'll it set me back?...$100-150
bodypaint ...$20-30??
camelbak...$30
cooler...$30-50
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

It is a high end option, but Advantage Air belongs in this list. They run a prop shuttle between Reno and the Black Rock City Spaceport. They are strictly weight constrained, you need a camp and your supplies brought by land. You also need to make arrangements to get from the Spaceport, which is at the trash fence, to your camp, about a 3 mile walk worst case. You can find Advantage through a simple search and there may be info on the main Burningman website. (Of course you may be subjected to many highly amusing inspections by the Spaceport border, immigration and customs staff who are dedicated to keeping the Playa playful)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Apprentice Dreamer wrote:This'll be my 1st time at BM and I'm going to be flying in from the UK, probably to San Francisco & hiring a car from there. As the amount of stuff I can bring over's going to be severely limited I'll need to buy stuff in USA.

I was wondering if someone could give me a pointer as to what I should expect to pay to pick up gear & places to pick it up, then I'll have a beter idea of what I'll need to/be able to bring over & what I can get in USA. Obviously not wanting to spend too much as I'll probably be donating most of it once BM's over.

Key things are:
cooking stove
tent, 12" pegs & shade thing
glow stuff - where can I get this in SF?
bike - I figure walmart but how much'll it set me back?
bodypaint
camelbak
cooler

Cheers, useful thread

I googled camping equipment san francisco and this was the first result--20 stores, hundreds of reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ca ... isco%2C+CA

I would also check under army surplus san francisco.

I would bring goggles and body lights from home on the plane. Goggles have got to fit you well and not have vents in them; also they're small and travel well. Wearable lights are also small and it's fun to have exactly what you want, so I would also probably take those on the plane and wait to buy flashlights or head lamps.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Apprentice Dreamer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 am

Great, Thanks Jackass & Savannah, got a better idea of what I need to budget now & I'll check out those links.

Cheers
Apprentice Dreamer

Burning Since: 2013

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks