What is your interpretation of this years theme?

Cargo Cult - Who is John Frum? He is known to us by many names, this Visitor from Elsewhere, dispenser of endless abundance and wielder of mysterious technologies: John Frum, Quetzalcoatl, Osiris, "Bob." His cargo is splendid, his generosity boundless, his motives beyond our understanding. But across the ages and around the world, the stories all agree: one day he will return, bearing great gifts. Our theme this year asks three related questions; who is John Frum, where is he really from, and where, on spaceship Earth, are we all going?

What is your interpretation of this years theme?

Postby glittertits » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Since everyone, including myself, is a bit confused as of what this years theme means, why don't we all sound our interpretations?
What does this theme mean to you?
How will you implement this theme in your experience?
glittertits

Burning Since: 2011

Re: What is your interpretation of this years theme?

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:30 pm

I dunno, but I can't stop staring at your.. username.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby 9ah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I dunno, but I can't stop staring at your.. username.

Me too... Let's discuss this on a trampoline....

Yes, I understood the theme and like it... Packing my cargo shorts.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:51 pm

i'm performing a ritual for a mega yacht. I hear if you burn green rectangles of paper by the truck load one will appear within 3 days time.
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 pm

glittertits wrote:Since everyone, including myself (but excluding theCryptofishist), is a bit confused as of what this years theme means, why don't we all sound our interpretations?
What does this theme mean to you?
How will you implement this theme in your experience?

There, fixed it for you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 pm

fuck the theme.

isnt the theme a CYNICAL CASH GRAB which appeals to different customer demographic/interests each year?!

"burning man" isnt/wasnt enough!

burning man, BUT THIS YEAR ABOUT THIS ARBITRARY BULLSHIT..

dont forget to get excited about next years them...... cuz 'burning man' is a theme that got worn out AGES ago.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby TT120 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Bamboo.

Final answer.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby 9ah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 pm

And how much did he wager?
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 am

lemur wrote:fuck the theme.

Yup.

My theme was, is, and always will be: Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby CornMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 am

Sometimes it's helpful to see what Wiki has to say and then go from there: " Cargo cults—the religious practice that has appeared in many traditional tribal societies in the wake of interaction with technologically advanced cultures—focus on obtaining the material wealth (the "cargo") of the advanced culture by building mock aircraft, landing strips, and the like."

My interpretation is that some of us burners perceive some other members of the BRC community to be more advanced or more sophisticated when it comes to pop art expression, camp infrastructure, building of social community, etc. While we might be enamored in the witness of such virtues to the point of worship/envy/animosity, we sometimes might try to convince ourselves that we could possibly emulate being as baddass in these regards if we could just tap that unknown particular something which is hiding inside us if we could find it. While we lack the confidence to go ahead and make an earnest effort toward these goals, in fear of failure, we oftentimes credit knowledge in these areas much like an armchair quarterback will do in order to feign an earned disinterest in such pursuits while in reality the desire still exists somewhere deeper in our being. While all this is going on, we'll elevate the positions of those most successful in the art of all things Burning Man almost akin to a cult, so we are therefore relieved from having to answer why we are not ourselves doing what it takes to be worthy of such accolades because we have elevated it to a seemingly unreachable plane. Either that, or perhaps it's just finding that "just right" pair of cargo shorts.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby trilobyte » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 am

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean everyone doesn't understand it. :wink:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby CornMan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:12 am

And how it is going to influence my experience: I will just continue to hope that my sometimes unpolished attempts to get it right will result in my acquiring the ability to bring neat, sparkly goodies to the playa like the most accomplished of burners who provide the stuff we all go to Burning Man for.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 am

Damn, Lemur. That's a stretch.. even for you. Time to double up on the meds.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby TT120 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 am

Eric wrote:.......My theme was, is, and always will be: Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up.

I like Eric's interpretation the best except I would add alcohol.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 am

Since everyone, including myself, is a bit confused

maybe it's all the glitter on your tits...it's affecting your stupid glands.

dear god, it's only going to get worse isnt it.

i am SO staying in fucking reno this year as the "carnival cruise lines of burns" goes down in a steaming pile of freshly bagged poop.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 am

It's not too late to register for that Anthro 101 class at your local college.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 pm

:D
Hey there Glittertits, and welcome to ePlaya!

So… what does the Cargo Cult theme mean to me?

After reading a bit about cargo cults on Wikipedia and perhaps some other places, and watching the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, which has a good example, I find that this theme has two fundamental elements:

1. It is a fabulously thought-provoking concept about human nature and interaction between unfamiliar societies. So it is a great opportunity for us to improve our minds, and then bring positive influence to others.

2. It has wonderful opportunities for fun-and-games. People have been laughing at cargo cults for decades, which is perfectly natural, if not exactly benevolent or wise. Keep in mind there is really no such thing as humor without “victims”. When somebody makes a Norwegian joke, I burst into laughter, recognizing a comical element of my own personality. So I see no harm in having fun with this theme – provided we also understand the background. (It would be rather easy to be cruel about it.)

And mind you, it should not be difficult to make fun, not only of the cults, but of us "modern" folks who have for so long pathetically failed to understand the concept and have heedlessly ridiculed something we did not understand. I feel this holds the greatest potential for art – innovative art with depth, as opposed to just assembling deliberately crude replicas of technological wonders made of bamboo and coconut shells.

Now for how I will implement this. Probably not at all. Oh, perhaps I will come up with a good way for me to play with what I described in the last paragraph above. But for now I feel my dance card is already full. There is certainly no requirement to make use of the theme – I see it as more of a helpful suggestion, in case I don’t have enough Stuff boiling in my mind already.
But yeah, I would love to do some sort of theater with this theme, perhaps with a future technologically-advanced society visiting… maybe us. Which –- to the best of my understanding -- is the concept that produced the flying saucer Man Pavilion. Gotta love it!

All right, enough of that silliness. We want to see pictures of your glitter. :mrgreen:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Schtev » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:35 pm

I sort of imagine Burning Man as the tribal culture that briefly came into contact with the default world, and formed a cargo cult based on that. John Frum will return and bring us glorious things from outside Black Rock Playa, like tiny rivers that come into our huts, and "in-tah-net". I imagine a lot of strange totems made of, and customs revolving around, discarded broken things.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Schtev wrote:I sort of imagine Burning Man as the tribal culture that briefly came into contact with the default world, and formed a cargo cult based on that. John Frum will return and bring us glorious things from outside Black Rock Playa, like tiny rivers that come into our huts, and "in-tah-net". I imagine a lot of strange totems made of, and customs revolving around, discarded broken things.

Oo. I envision a camp made to resemble an internet café, with rows of hollow old monitors, in front of which we genuflect. A gold-painted statue of the God "Wi-Fi" sits at the end of the hut, on an altar surrounded by candles, swag necklaces and single-ply travel rolls. People gather to pray to the Wi-Fi.

Offerings may be left. Self-proclaimed clergy lecture and beg for hand-outs. Ceremonial drinks are served.

Salvation never comes.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 pm

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby NikkiG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Human beings are inquisitive creatures that constantly seek MORE. And although MORE "fill in the blank" may bring you happiness, it doesn't fill the void. This years theme made me think of our creation story, and how we got here from Eden. My question is, "How do we get back II Eden?" What is your creation story, and what is your well thought out plan on getting back II Eden?
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Larry is John Frum come back. Him come back likes him promised! Now all fella going have CARGO!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Schtev » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 am

So would that be a sort of messiah-based setup? The benevolent god Wee Fee, who sent his own son John Frum to us to bestow bounty upon us, and will one day do so again if we very strictly abide by the traditional Ten Principles of our culture?

Savannah wrote:
Schtev wrote:I sort of imagine Burning Man as the tribal culture that briefly came into contact with the default world, and formed a cargo cult based on that. John Frum will return and bring us glorious things from outside Black Rock Playa, like tiny rivers that come into our huts, and "in-tah-net". I imagine a lot of strange totems made of, and customs revolving around, discarded broken things.

Oo. I envision a camp made to resemble an internet café, with rows of hollow old monitors, in front of which we genuflect. A gold-painted statue of the God "Wi-Fi" sits at the end of the hut, on an altar surrounded by candles, swag necklaces and single-ply travel rolls. People gather to pray to the Wi-Fi.

Offerings may be left. Self-proclaimed clergy lecture and beg for hand-outs. Ceremonial drinks are served.

Salvation never comes.
Last edited by Schtev on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 am

Wow. That pretty much hits the nail on the head regarding cargo cults. :shock:

FIGJAM wrote:
[media]
Schtev

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Now there you go conjurin' up Kipling.
*sigh*
Here we go:
[media]
Ugly Dougly

Postby Schtev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:13 am

Somebody just pointed out to me that a cargo cult is basically what happens when you violate the Prime Directive.
Schtev

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 am

It's going to be a dusty sci-fi convention.
Ugly Dougly

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Schtev wrote:Somebody just pointed out to me that a cargo cult is basically what happens when you violate the Prime Directive.

while not a direct violation of the prime directive, as it wasnt intentional, (though a point of discussion within the story) there is an episode of star trek voyager which might in some way have something to do with the 'cargo cult' topic

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Blink_o ... e_(episode)

The USS Voyager approaches a planet rotating 58 times per minute and, while investigating, the ship enters a gravimetric gradient pulling it into an orbit in which the crew becomes trapped. On the planet, a native is then seen preparing an altar. Just then, an earthquake happens, and the native sees a new star in the sky, which is Voyager.

The tachyon core of the planet has created a differential in space-time, meaning that time passes much more quickly on the planet than in the rest of space. Within "moments" of Voyager's arrival and entrapment many years have passed on the surface. The initial entry into orbit coincides with an earthquake interpreted by the inhabitants as an act of a new deity, the Voyager ship appearing as a new bright star in the sky

The scientist that has made first contact with Voyager explains to a fellow scientist that the Sky Ship, the name the planet's inhabitants have given Voyager, is a prominent feature of all of the planet's culture.

For centuries the society lives with the constant ground-shaking effect brought about by Voyager and its effects on the natural poles and rotation of the planet.

Voyager is also used as a catalyst for religion, music, art, and even children's toys.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:34 pm

There's a theme?
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:10 pm

gods & men.
Attachments
brother.jpg
brother.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 904 times
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Next

Return to 2013 Theme