Camping solo virgin, where will I end up

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camping solo virgin, where will I end up

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

For my first burn I was part of a theme camp, so when my group arrived we already knew where to go.

This time around I'm dragging out my burgin boyfriend and camping ourselves. I couldn't find much information on what happens after you go past the gate if you aren't with a theme camp. Do you get to pick where you camp, or are you directed to solo campers areas?

I'm a little worried since last time I got there late Wed and everything was pretty well staked out. But this time I'm planning on getting there much earlier, don't want to setup in the wrong spot and have to move!

On a side note, is there a place where people can plan to camp and share resources with other solo'ers (not forming a theme camp)? Or does that happen organically when you arrive and start setting up? Can't wait to experience the 1st day of bm. I'm hoping to find some fellow hexayurt people to camp near :D
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Re: Camping solo virgin, where will I end up

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 am

BurnerBunny wrote:For my first burn I was part of a theme camp, so when my group arrived we already knew where to go.

This time around I'm dragging out my burgin boyfriend and camping ourselves. I couldn't find much information on what happens after you go past the gate if you aren't with a theme camp. Do you get to pick where you camp, or are you directed to solo campers areas?

I'm a little worried since last time I got there late Wed and everything was pretty well staked out. But this time I'm planning on getting there much earlier, don't want to setup in the wrong spot and have to move!

On a side note, is there a place where people can plan to camp and share resources with other solo'ers (not forming a theme camp)? Or does that happen organically when you arrive and start setting up? Can't wait to experience the 1st day of bm. I'm hoping to find some fellow hexayurt people to camp near :D

Theme camp areas are marked off. Just look for an open space, check with your neighbors before you start setting up & go from there...

It is a tad intimidating the first time you do it. Honestly, not as stressful as you are feeling right now!!!

Again, check and make sure you are good before you start to set your camp up and you should be fine...

(The city map should be released some time in July [I think], when it is - download it and go roughly from there)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am

You will get a map of Black Rock City (BRC). That should be before you set out so you can plan. Then expect to burn your plan. ;)
Most of BRC is open to campers such as yourself. Some of the area is designated for theme camps. Unless you're in a theme camp, you can't camp there. Most of them will probably be occupied by the time you get there.
If you have a favorite theme camp or area, you might want to choose a camp that is closer to your favorite area.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm

great info, thanks guys!

Sounds like avoiding camping in a theme camp spot will be pretty easy. I'm guessing if I really want to camp with fellow hexayurters I can just look for them as I drive around looking for a good spot to camp. Hopefully I'll find some friendly campers that wouldn't mind me camping near them, especially if I offer to share shade and hammocks :)

I'm making a fresh pot of coffee every morning. Since my partner hates the stuff, hopefully I'll be able to find people to share it with. making coffee for one is such a waste of effort. believe it or not, I never made it to center camp on my first burn, but I don't plan on buying my morning cup.

I guess I'm just a little worried that since we're camping solo people will feel less inclined to walk by and say hi. Thank god my bf is more forward than I am :>
BurnerBunny

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:19 pm

BurnerBunny wrote:For my first burn I was part of a theme camp, so when my group arrived we already knew where to go.

Keep your eyes on the main site for the city map. You will also be given a map at Greeter's. Pay attention to it. :) You'll see Theme Camp areas and open camping.

Talk to your neighbors before you start setting up.

Blue double flags (blue pairs of flags, wire stems, about a foot high) have been used to denote Theme Camp areas in the recent past. These are not to be confused with single flags, which just mark the edge of a street.

Google "Orphan Camp" "Burning Man". There are usually several Orphan camps. These tend to be no-fee camps that spring up for the sake of social togetherness.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks Savannah!

Savannah wrote:Google "Orphan Camp" "Burning Man". There are usually several Orphan camps. These tend to be no-fee camps that spring up for the sake of social togetherness.
BurnerBunny

Postby RosieTahoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Burner Bunny I see that you are in South Lake Tahoe... I live in Tahoma with my husband (both of us are Birgins) and we are planning to camp on our own as well! Cup of coffee sometime?! I'm glad you posted this question because I was a little unclear about this myself and because we plan on arriving on the first day I figure that things will still be really open and the worst thing would be to setup camp only to have to move a few hours, or days, later. I'm also assuming that once things get a little closer I may actually have some local people to camp with and/or 2013 Orphan camp discussions will be in full swing. I want to make sure that I am in the heart of everything, and really want to connect with other burners, but I don't think I want to commit to a theme camp for my first year because I want to be completely free!
RosieTahoe

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:49 pm

One other thing to note: once Gate opens, there are no reserved camping areas (but it's still considered rude to squeeze in on a theme camps space, which might still be waiting for more people).

Technically, that means if there's an open area you like, you should be able to set up there. In reality, and using Playa Etiquette, that means if there's an open area you're interested in you can ask at the camps in the area to see if it's taken, then use it if it's not. Early in the week, a camp may still be missing core components due to problems (truck breakdowns, people breakdowns, miscommunication...) and have space set aside for those things. Usually it's pretty obvious.

Also, the closer to the Esplanade you want to camp, the tighter your space will be & the less likely there will be open areas. If you plan on camping a farther back, it's a lot easier to find space to make a nice camp (if you look at satellite maps from past years you'll see what I mean)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

I like everything about Burning Man!

That being said, I camp a little further out, but centraly located.

If I want noise, I go where the noise is.

If I want quiet, my camp is fairly quiet.

I'm usually the first in my area, so when someone pulls in, I introduce myself and start asking questions.

Are you planning to party 24/7?

Are you going to run a genny?

If so, how long per day and where are you setting that up?

If their in an RV, which way are you parking so that your genny exhaust is'nt blasting right into my camp?

These will be your naighbors for the week, so it's better to head off the drama at the start instead of dealing with it later.

If everything is copesetic, then "Welcome Home"!!! 8)

Zoom in and look around!

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/115712
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby 9ah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Zooming in never gets old... I wish an alarm would go off when the satellite was close. I forgot to leave the bar and look up... I'll remember this year...

The container arrangement was the best! :mrgreen:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm

If you zoom in on H and 5, just north of the intersection on the east side, you can see elliots huge shade and mine is next door with my white truck cab sticking out the end. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Boijoy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

just another FYI. Portos further out tend to stay " somewhat" cleaner.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Boijoy wrote:just another FYI. Portos further out tend to stay " somewhat" cleaner.

Amen! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby 9ah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 pm

FIGJAM wrote:If you zoom in on H and 5, just north of the intersection on the east side, you can see elliots huge shade and mine is next door with my white truck cab sticking out the end. 8)

Between G & H essentially? Nice.

Pretty hard to point space out, but my camp is at 5:30 & Rod's Rd. You can see our dark, net shade covering our bar along the Rod's Rd. side and the chapel (same netting) along the center camp side.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:18 pm

awesome, you aren't too far from us! We're in angora highlands, near the access road to angora resort if you're familiar with that area. I'll let you know when we do our test setup if you want to come and check it out. I'm planning on building a hexayurt, we'll probably leave it setup for a few days so I can test out using the generator and working out all of the kinks of setting up my shade structure and getting everything arranged just right. Will be my second burn, my partner's first.

RosieTahoe wrote:Burner Bunny I see that you are in South Lake Tahoe... I live in Tahoma with my husband (both of us are Birgins) and we are planning to camp on our own as well! Cup of coffee sometime?! I'm glad you posted this question because I was a little unclear about this myself and because we plan on arriving on the first day I figure that things will still be really open and the worst thing would be to setup camp only to have to move a few hours, or days, later. I'm also assuming that once things get a little closer I may actually have some local people to camp with and/or 2013 Orphan camp discussions will be in full swing. I want to make sure that I am in the heart of everything, and really want to connect with other burners, but I don't think I want to commit to a theme camp for my first year because I want to be completely free!
BurnerBunny

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm

First, I'll second what Eric pointed out - once the gates open for the event, there is no more reserved theme camp space.

Second, I'll point out that over the last couple years more emphasis has been placed on transforming G into a boulevard. The street is wider than the others to allow for mutant vehicle traffic, and there are plazas back there at 4:30 & 7:30.

When you find a spot that looks suitable, I'd hop out of the vehicle and introduce yourself to the people camped next to the space. Say your hello's and make friends, and ask them if the space is open. Better to find out right away if they had one more car coming that someone forgot to mark off for and land in the right spot than to experience awkwardness once you've gotten your stuff set up. In BRC it isn't that fences make great neighbors, established boundaries make great neighbors.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DoctorIknow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Eric wrote:Technically, that means if there's an open area you like, you should be able to set up there. In reality, and using Playa Etiquette, that means if there's an open area you're interested in you can ask at the camps in the area to see if it's taken, then use it if it's not. Early in the week, a camp may still be missing core components due to problems (truck breakdowns, people breakdowns, miscommunication...) and have space set aside for those things. Usually it's pretty obvious.

Agreed, although if you find a good spot within what looks like theme camp area, just ask them if is free and could you be a good neighbor (non-smokers, non-generator people already have a leg up). The response will be all you need. I've had huge spaced virtually empty by Monday theme camps swear they needed all the space, and refused quite hastily, and with attitude, and then by Thursday, their space was still empty. Some first year theme camps think their space needs to be larger then what they really need,,,sometimes structures they plan do not get assembled (just look around late in the week and see how many struts of domes are still sitting where they were unpacked from the trucks LOL) and sometimes they think people will show up that never do. (sounds impossible, but it happens)

On the other hand, as Eric said, many camps use every inch of their space, which on Monday can look spacious.

One system that can work for finding a great place is to park your vehicle in a space you've already talked to the neighbors about. String out your area as conservatively as possible so others get the idea of your needs. The best place to find a clear empty space would be "further out." As you drive down any street (perhaps avoid the major streets like 6:00, 4:30,,,those with plazas) heading toward the man, you can see when housing space gets precious. Park your vehicle, get on the bikes and go hunting for a better space. It could take a long time, but as backup, you'll have a space already. Chances are, in the time you are looking for a new space, where you parked will now be a full area. (With this method, be sure to park your vehicle so you can move it. Next to a road is good. Otherwise, when you come back from your seeking a new spot, your vehicle may not be able to move for the week.)

Most important is to feel good about your neighbors, no matter where. They should welcome you and not be ambivalent.

Best of all, don't worry.
Some of my best memories of where I camped and who my neighbors were had to do with randomness and late arrival, and not as part of a theme camp with an assigned space and assigned people.
DoctorIknow

Return to Shelter & Camping