Playa Lung Dust Masks

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Playa Lung Dust Masks

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 am

Certified against mineral dust with complete and total filtration, cool and comfortable to wear with moldable foam on top and bottom, one way breath exhaust, cheap, light, individually packaged, lasts the whole week.

Under $20 for a 10-pack. Buy a box and stash extras in your bag to give away to people.

End of discussion.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:Certified against mineral dust with complete and total filtration, cool and comfortable to wear with moldable foam on top and bottom, one way breath exhaust, cheap, light, individually packaged, lasts the whole week.

Under $20 for a 10-pack. Buy a box and stash extras in your bag to give away to people.

End of discussion.

Are these the same ones you brought last year?
Cause they really kicked ass!!!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 am

junglesmacks wrote:Image

Certified against mineral dust with complete and total filtration, cool and comfortable to wear with moldable foam on top and bottom, one way breath exhaust, cheap, light, individually packaged, lasts the whole week.

End of discussion.

They concentrate the heat around your mouth, and don't direct your breathing like a respirator. And, they look silly. An RZ mask forms to the face better and directs airflow MUCH better. Gas Masks are not for the pussies! But they work! Shemaghs are for trendy fucks who believe everything their told. AGAIN! It's really a personal choice!

End of discussion
..never happens on eplaya
Last edited by TomServo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am

illy dilly wrote:Are these the same ones you brought last year?
Cause they really kicked ass!!!!!!

Yes sir :D

TomServo wrote:They concentrate the heat around your mouth, and don't direct your breathing like a respirator.

The one way valve doesn't let heat build around your mouth in the least and does direct your breathing directly out the vent. You don't even feel like you're wearing a mask breath wise.

TomServo wrote: And, they look silly.

Do YOU care how silly or not silly you look in a whiteout while choking on playa dust out by the trash fence?

TomServo wrote:AGAIN! It's really a personal choice!

As is everything. What we're talking about here is the smartest choice.

..and we won't go there.
junglesmacks

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 am

junglesmacks wrote:
TomServo wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Image

End of discussion.

They concentrate the heat around your mouth, and don't direct your breathing like a respirator.

The one way valve doesn't let heat build around your mouth in the least and does direct your breathing directly out the vent. You don't even feel like you're wearing a mask breath wise.

TomServo wrote: And, they look silly.

Do YOU care how silly or not silly you look in a whiteout while choking on playa dust out by the trash fence?

TomServo wrote:AGAIN! It's really a personal choice!

As is everything. What we're talking about here is the smartest choice.

DUDE! I had my 7-up bottle brownbagged, when I was too sick to drink Malt Liquor! Reputation, Reputation, Repetition! It really is a PERSONAL choice! I happen to LOVE gas masks! I've passed out in 6 hour dust storms in a gas mask...worked GREAT! And, having had to use these devices in the professional realm, I prefer the expensive ones.

TomServo

Postby Canoe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Certified against mineral dust with complete and total filtration...

That's a pretty strong statement.
Where's the data on what percentage of what size of particle it filters?
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Canoe wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Certified against mineral dust with complete and total filtration...

That's a pretty strong statement.
Where's the data on what percentage of what size of particle it filters?

Searching now. Here's the manufacturers info page on it.

Note that there are a few different variations of the 3M M95 mask. The 9211+ is the model made for long term use with maximum comfort.

If you wanted to go super nuts, you could look at models like the M100 which are rated against fun things like lead, cadmium and arsenic exposure. The M95 9211+'s will do you fine though.

Note.. they literally included "MDA" exposure in the list above.. but I'm not so sure that's something that burners want protection from.. :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

js is being a smug know-it-all. Rigid, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm

*bow*
junglesmacks

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Well that was interesting.
I'd read before that the N95 rating meant that it only filtered 95% of particles.
I confirmed that, so no, that N95 filter shown, nor any N95 particle filter, does not provide "complete and total filtration".

Respirators are rated “N” if they are not resistant to oil, “R” if somewhat resistant to oil, and “P” if strongly resistant (oil proof).
In the type N, there's N95, N99, or N100, filtering in turn 95%, 99% and 100% (99.97%).

The link provided goes to a model 9211, which now sports a different appearance than the embedded photo. It appears to be the best of the half-face Respirator Masks that I've ever seen, with many features of fit and airflow that should make it a good choice for playa use. Worth checking out if you have issues with playa dust.

A doctor on-playa once told me that the surgical masks she saw so many people wearing were useless against the bulk of playa dust. What I found out explains why.

I found these sources. There's a lot there.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/r ... are.html#e
http://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2009/10/n95/

The parts I found interesting, include:
On surgical masks:

Surgical masks are not designed for use as particulate respirators and do not provide as much respiratory protection as an N95 respirator. Surgical masks provide barrier protection against droplets including large respiratory particles. Most surgical masks do not effectively filter small particles from the air and do not prevent leakage around the edge of the mask when the user inhales.

Collection efficiency of surgical mask filters can range from less than 10% to nearly 90% for different manufacturers’ masks when measured using the test parameters for NIOSH certification.

The FDA, in part, accepts the NIOSH filter efficiency and breathing resistance test results as exceeding the usual surgical mask requirements.

on NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators:

Whether the goal is to prevent the outward escape of user-generated aerosols or the inward transport of hazardous airborne particles, there are two important aspects of performance. First, the filter must be able to capture the full range of hazardous particles, typically within a wide range of sizes (<1 to >100 µm) over a range of airflow (approximately 10 to 100 L/min). Second, leakage must be prevented at the boundary of the facepiece and the face.

the most important aspect of a NIOSH-certified respirator’s performance will be how well it fits to the face and minimizes the degree of leakage around the facepiece. This must be measured for each individual and their selected respirator.

It is more difficult to fit a half-facepiece respirator (one that covers the mouth and nose only) than a full-facepiece respirator (one that also covers the eyes).

all particulate filters used in NIOSH-certified respirators, including N95s, are designed and engineered to provide very high levels of particle collection efficiencies

perhaps the most misunderstood aspect of filter performance and bears repeating. Filters do NOT act as sieves. One of the best tests of a filter’s performance involves measuring particle collection at its most penetrating particle size, which ensures better performance for larger and smaller particles. Further, the filter’s collection efficiency is a function of the size of the particles, and is not dependent on whether they are bioaerosols or inert particles.

Given the particle size distribution of Black Rock Playa soils:
Particle Size, Weight Percent
Clay < 3 um, 65.3%
Silt 3 to 15 um, 21.2%
Silt 15 to 62.5 um, 10.4%
Sand > 62.5 um, 3.1%

It appears that any NOISH rated particle filter should be filtering the dust from the playa, with N95, N99 and N100 being good, better and best.
But your performance will likely depend on the comfort level of the model of facepiece you choose, with particular effectiveness dependent on how well it fits you.

p.s.
I still think the Playa-Tested©)'( thick cotton bandana and the shemagh are good choices.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Canoe wrote:I'd read before that the N95 rating meant that it only filtered 95% of particles.

Whoever wrote that is pretty silly. It's going to depend on things like particle size, and I wouldn't be surprised if things like how hard you're breathing made a difference...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Canoe wrote:I'd read before that the N95 rating meant that it only filtered 95% of particles.

Whoever wrote that is pretty silly. It's going to depend on things like particle size, and I wouldn't be surprised if things like how hard you're breathing made a difference...

So go read the definition of N95 if you don't believe the copy and paste I did of it.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 pm

double post...
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for digging that up, Canoe. Yeah.. the embedded picture is that of the 9211. There is now the "9211+" which is further enhanced with comfort/design features.

I wish there was a picture of the inside of it to show the foam seals. It's way more than it looks from the front..

junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Who said it? Three M? OSHA? Wikipedia? Because everything on the internet is 100% accurate.

Sorry, I believe you found it on the internet, I just find that unless it's something like "95% of particles size n at suction strength y" I just wont believe it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Or is particle size directly related to who is doing the sucking?
junglesmacks

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Who said it? Three M? OSHA? Wikipedia? Because everything on the internet is 100% accurate.
Sorry, I believe you found it on the internet, I just find that unless it's something like "95% of particles size n at suction strength y" I just wont believe it.

N95 is a NIOSH standard.
I provided the links, go read what NOISH says their N95 means.

And if you notice among the parts I copied and pasted, part of the spec requires must be able to capture the full range of hazardous particles, typically within a wide range of sizes (<1 to >100 µm) over a range of airflow (approximately 10 to 100 L/min).

They also explain about particle size, if you'd prefer not to speculate.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Ah. TLDR. I just reacted to the second line. Sorry
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Thanks for digging that up, Canoe. Yeah.. the embedded picture is that of the 9211. There is now the "9211+" which is further enhanced with comfort/design features.
I wish there was a picture of the inside of it to show the foam seals. It's way more than it looks from the front..

Yes, if N95 and a half-mask is enough for one's needs, it sure looks like a good choice. Accommodation for sealing well with eyeglasses too.
I didn't check if that mask is available with N99 or N100 filters.

If I remember correctly, the doctor dissed surgical masks and N95 as inadequate for the playa. Said they let too many small particles through, with so much of playa dust under 5 um. She said HEPA filters were required for the fine particles in playa dust (which for dry playa particles, appears functionally equivalent to N100? N100 standard is 99.97%.).
I have one of the 3M full face mask units, just in case Condition Alpha. I'll have to scare up some N100 particle filters for it. I've only got N95 in exposed and encased filters.

Always comfortable with thick cotton bandana (sometimes spritzed with water) or a shemagh.
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Looks like the cost difference is about $2-ish for the N95 9211+ vs $5-ish for the N100. Lots more bulk though with the N100. For the weight, ease of use, bulk issue, etc.. I'll stick with the N95 9211+ and just breathe a few more particles. Hell, I went years with NO dust mask!
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglesmacks

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah. TLDR. I just reacted to the second line. Sorry

Yeah. It's a bit of a nuke, but to provide enough of a core of good info so people can decide if they have enough info to choose with or if they need to find out more...
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Never having had a problem with the dust...

Although you think having had a husband who got helicoptered out twice for the way it triggered his asthma would be enough!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Yeah. A couple of N100 masks would be a lot cheaper than a helicopter ride. Bet the insurance would even pay for them?
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, I bought him a fancy mask--now lost, but I have the damn replacement filters--but he wouldn't wear it. He wouldn't even wear a bandana, probably. One of those medical professionals who make terrible patients. Love him, but god he was an idiot...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby TomServo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 am

I posted a Microns chart somewhere in here. I have yet to find a detailed analysis of Playa dust..but, given it is directly located by a closed Gypsum mine, I would relate it close to rock crushing on this chart. Reusing dirty old masks, is kinda like my ex-father in law, cutting a hole in his half face respirator, just so he could smoke. Keep extra filters..IN THE BAGS THEY CAME IN, and wipe down the inside of your mask regularly.

TomServo

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am

I just bought these off amazon:
They are for 4 wheeling in the dust, so meant to wear under a helmet comfortably. I'm wearing mine under goggles and hat :) Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to these, but if you search for "ATV Tek Pro Series Rider Dust Mask" they are easy enough to find. I did the XL, user feedback was that the mediums are too small for most ppl.

**I am in no way affiliated with the sellers of these dust masks.

I also found a great deal last week on goggles, got a clear and dark pair for $8. I like planning this far ahead, I can set price watches and grab everything I need as it goes on super discount :) There's a fabric discounter I was alerted to on reddit's burning man group yesterday, fantastic deals. ok I've rambled enough about bm items on sale :P
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby Earthwalker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Apologize if I missed it, but I read the entire thread and didn't see any feedback on the original topic: Playa Lung Dust Masks.

Are they any good? I definitely plan on bringing the Schmiegel (or however you commies spell it), but would also be interested in a dusk mask. Playa Lung a good option in case I don't like the Gollum?

Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Apologize if I missed it, but I read the entire thread and didn't see any feedback on the original topic: Playa Lung Dust Masks.

"Playalung" dust masks is just someone trying to capitalize off of TTITD by associating their name with the Respro brand dust masks and reslling them for jacked prices next to burny looking people complete with playa chicken feathers in their hair. Google the true company name and you'll find all kinds of discussion on them both on eplaya and off.

If you are really interested in purchasing one, do a search for the best price as the above mentioned people are jacking you with those prices.

Try here: viewtopic.php?t=56881
junglesmacks

Postby Boijoy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:38 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Thanks for digging that up, Canoe. Yeah.. the embedded picture is that of the 9211. There is now the "9211+" which is further enhanced with comfort/design features.

Guess you could paint over the 3m circle in red & look like a clown. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Earthwalker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the info, junglesmacks. Its difficult to choose when you've never been. I have a gas mask my buddy brought back from Iraq. Maybe I'll bring that. I'm leaning towards that shemagh thing and bananas. But the idea of a filter seems nice. I'll keep researching. Maybe there's a store that Carries them. We're close to the desert here so maybe at an offroad store
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear