LEO Gifts

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

So I remember Savannah (I think) mentioning that she had some cool pins made up for LEO gifts one year. I thought that would be fun to do. I'm hoping to get some cute junior police/ranger badges made up. I'm reaching out to a few friends in the promo business to see if I can get a short run of these: Image

With an appropriate logo of course. Here's what I have so far: Image

Any suggestions to make it a little more Law Enforment-y
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm

I went looking for pictures of donuts to photoshop into a BRC badge.. and now I'm totally craving one. Thanks.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:39 pm

It wasn't my idea, VultureChow, but I wish it was.

Maybe I'll do it this year. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:39 pm

I thought about putting the man in handcuffs, but I want to be nice, not sarcastic.

Also, I give you The Priestly.

Image

A chocolate Timbit in a jelly doughnut.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Savannah wrote:It wasn't my idea, VultureChow, but I wish it was.

Maybe I'll do it this year. :)


Oops... Some awesome chick on this board mentioned it.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm

VultureChow wrote:I thought about putting the man in handcuffs, but I want to be nice, not sarcastic.


Right. If I have a positive interaction with some cheerful law enforcement I would like the gift to reflect that. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:53 am

I thought their mere presence was gift enough?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:34 am

I had handmade bead pendants for a few years, and most of the officers liked those. Gifts for the spouse at home, mostly.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16391
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 am

BBadger wrote:I thought their mere presence was gift enough?


No, you're thinking of my presence.. :D



Go ahead. Say it.
"I was wondering who farted!"
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:
BBadger wrote:I thought their mere presence was gift enough?


No, you're thinking of my presence.. :D


Typo. My bad!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 am

I started thinking about it after someone revived the police thread.

Truthfully, all of my experiences were pleasant. It helped that as I flew in I carried zero contraband and did not spend much time at the big sound camps. They're human beings too and I like to think that creating positive experiences for them could carry over into their dealings with other Burners.

/I think I'll add the year to the design somewhere.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Sham » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:51 am

I think I was the person who mentioned I made pins for LEO's. It was a very cool 2" pin that had a police shield, American flag and the BM logo on it.

I kept them in my backpack and would offer them to friendly police along the way, but realized they were concerned that I was digging in my bag for "something" for them. I pinned a few on my hat and offered them from there. If they wanted an extra, they were ok at that point with me getting another one from my backpack.

This past year, I went over to a Pershing County Sheriff car after seeing them snap a few photos of some amazing art on the playa. It turns out that they were enjoying the event as much or more so than the participants. I'll bet we talked for 15 minutes and I gave them some great swag to take home. One asked for an extra necklace for his wife! :D
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 am

Shambala wrote:I think I was the person who mentioned I made pins for LEO's. It was a very cool 2" pin that had a police shield, American flag and the BM logo on it.

I kept them in my backpack and would offer them to friendly police along the way, but realized they were concerned that I was digging in my bag for "something" for them. I pinned a few on my hat and offered them from there. If they wanted an extra, they were ok at that point with me getting another one from my backpack.

This past year, I went over to a Pershing County Sheriff car after seeing them snap a few photos of some amazing art on the playa. It turns out that they were enjoying the event as much or more so than the participants. I'll bet we talked for 15 minutes and I gave them some great swag to take home. One asked for an extra necklace for his wife! :D



Yep. It was you!

Thanks for the idea. I'm obviously stealing it! And thanks for the heads up about how to gift them without looking suspicious.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

VultureChow wrote:Thanks for the idea. I'm obviously improving upon it!


There, fixed it for you.
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:54 am

VultureChow wrote:
Savannah wrote:It wasn't my idea, VultureChow, but I wish it was.

Maybe I'll do it this year. :)


Oops... Some awesome chick on this board mentioned it.


indeed!!

Shambala wrote:I think I was the person who mentioned I made pins for LEO's. It was a very cool 2" pin that had a police shield, American flag and the BM logo on it.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25991
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 am

ygmir wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
Savannah wrote:It wasn't my idea, VultureChow, but I wish it was.

Maybe I'll do it this year. :)


Oops... Some awesome chick on this board mentioned it.


indeed!!

Shambala wrote:I think I was the person who mentioned I made pins for LEO's. It was a very cool 2" pin that had a police shield, American flag and the BM logo on it.


:oops:
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am

eplaya gender follies. will the fun never end?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am

I think it just did.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 am

Rule #30.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Sham » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

Ygmir's fun may end very soon after his unrequested gender change, performed by me and my Swiss army knife! 8)
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

Shambala wrote:Ygmir's fun may end very soon after his unrequested gender change, performed by me and my Swiss army knife! 8)

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25991
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am

This is a fantastic idea...I love it that you will be (one of) our goodwill ambassador to the LEO's. You are exactly right that it will help with attitude adjustment.

I'm planning on making some pendant necklaces as gifts as well, I think I'll tailor a few to be specific to the LEO's.

My interactions have always been positive and the only time I saw any police taking action, it was to provide medical help to a burner who had gone a little too far with their party. I'd love to be able to reward the LEO's who are there to make our burn fun & safe!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
User avatar
JayBobBoy
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Burning Since: 2002

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

Shambala wrote:Ygmir's fun may end very soon after his unrequested gender change, performed by me and my Swiss army knife! 8)


Testiculos habet et bene pendentes!
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am

VultureChow wrote:
Shambala wrote:Ygmir's fun may end very soon after his unrequested gender change, performed by me and my Swiss army knife! 8)


Testiculos habet et bene pendentes!


is Crocodile Dundee Catholic?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25991
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Aren't they already good pendents?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 pm

ygmir wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
Shambala wrote:Ygmir's fun may end very soon after his unrequested gender change, performed by me and my Swiss army knife! 8)


Testiculos habet et bene pendentes!


is Crocodile Dundee Catholic?


According to Wikipedia he is. Did not know that.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 pm

I have long been an advocate of a charm offensive with the LEO's. In selecting slogans or words on LEO gifts here is an idea: something that is authentic to the higher aspirations of the LEO culture and the Nevada culture/ and something that reenforces participants desires about what we want LEO's focused on. Here are some ideas: "Protecting the Black Rock Desert", "Keeping Burning Man Participants Safe", "A Force For Good", "We're Here to Help". Sure readers can come up with more.

Also a lot of maker spaces have laser engravers which make small runs of lettering inexpensive. Check ahead on what materials they can engrave.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
User avatar
some seeing eye
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: The Oregon
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I have long been an advocate of a charm offensive with the LEO's. In selecting slogans or words on LEO gifts here is an idea: something that is authentic to the higher aspirations of the LEO culture and the Nevada culture/ and something that reenforces participants desires about what we want LEO's focused on. Here are some ideas: "Protecting the Black Rock Desert", "Keeping Burning Man Participants Safe", "A Force For Good", "We're Here to Help". Sure readers can come up with more.

Also a lot of maker spaces have laser engravers which make small runs of lettering inexpensive. Check ahead on what materials they can engrave.


That idea is all kinds of fabulous.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 pm

"To Protect and Serve"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: LEO Gifts

Postby Sham » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 pm

FIGJAM wrote:"To Protect and Serve"

Trademark this quick, before someone takes it! :D
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests