I brain-farted the pre-registration

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

I brain-farted the pre-registration

Postby DeusRegit » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:26 pm

I spaced out the window dates for the individual sales pre-registration and missed the deadline, my bust. So I am wondering, if all the 40,000 tickets don't get sold will that increase the amount available at the OMG sale? Am I now a member of that sub-human class of burners who must fester in their own spittle wondering until mid-August if I will get in?
Sandman
http://www.burningmanzeroseven.com
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Re: I brain-farted the pre-registration

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Conceivably, yes - any extra tickets would find their way into the OMG sale.

But no, you're not some kind of sub-human class of burner who has to wait until August. You can get in on STEP (the secure ticket exchange program) which opens up in a few weeks. Last year it was only eligible to those who had registered for the main sale in January, this year it will be open to anyone. There's also the regular after-market (avoid scalpers, plenty of regular burners sell directly to others each year).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

trilobyte wrote:Conceivably, yes - any extra tickets would find their way into the OMG sale.

But no, you're not some kind of sub-human class of burner who has to wait until August. You can get in on STEP (the secure ticket exchange program) which opens up in a few weeks. Last year it was only eligible to those who had registered for the main sale in January, this year it will be open to anyone. There's also the regular after-market (avoid scalpers, plenty of regular burners sell directly to others each year).

I say "Plan to go", a motivated burner will always be able to get their hands on a ticket.

Even last year, after the so-called "Ticket Fiasco" people were giving away tickets a week before the event...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Yes, exactly what Rice said. More than half of my camp didn't have tickets after the main sale last year. Those who didn't have 'em but were determined to go all managed to find a ticket (and in our camp's case, they got it sorted long before August rolled around).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yes, exactly what Rice said. More than half of my camp didn't have tickets after the main sale last year. Those who didn't have 'em but were determined to go all managed to find a ticket (and in our camp's case, they got it sorted long before August rolled around).

Same here. I don't know a single Burner who kept trying last year AND didn't get a ticket. I'm not saying there weren't folks out there somewhere, but it wasn't so common that I saw it on the board, or among my Burner friends either.

What I'm saying is--you aren't screwed by any means, and as long as you maintain focus on what you want, you have an advantage over the people who give up more easily.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Savannah wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Yes, exactly what Rice said. More than half of my camp didn't have tickets after the main sale last year. Those who didn't have 'em but were determined to go all managed to find a ticket (and in our camp's case, they got it sorted long before August rolled around).

Same here. I don't know a single Burner who kept trying last year AND didn't get a ticket. I'm not saying there weren't folks out there somewhere, but it wasn't so common that I saw it on the board, or among my Burner friends either.

What I'm saying is--you aren't screwed by any means, and as long as you maintain focus on what you want, you have an advantage over the people who give up more easily.

Most people who failed to get tickets, gave up - without really trying. It is very unrealistic to expect one to fall onto your lap...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby TT120 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:04 pm

A week before the burn last year, it started raining tickets around here. Craigslist was full of tickets for sale as well as on this board. I wouldn't worry, if you really want to go, you'll find tickets. Keep planning.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I didn't get a ticket till the OMG sale last year, but kept preparing as if I was going. I suppose that's a little easier to do if you don't have to book flights, though.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby 9ah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

What was last year's version of the OMG sale?

Ditto to what everyone said about tickets being available.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:18 pm

It was called the August Open Sale.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby DeusRegit » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 am

All righty then, it's unany amongus - I'm planning on going. Thanks for the shot in the arm.
(another satisfied ePlaya customer)
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Postby illy dilly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 am

I remember one fella's post that he ended up an extra ticket two weeks before the event and basically said that he would be getting to Reno Friday before the event and if someone wanted to meet him there or on the way to BRC they could have the ticket for free, or if they wanted to pay shipping he would ship it.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:20 pm

DeusRegit wrote:All righty then, it's unany amongus - I'm planning on going. Thanks for the shot in the arm.
(another satisfied ePlaya customer)

I didn't pre-register as the open sale isn't in my budget right now. I can guarantee you that I'll be there - even if I have to wait until the OMG sale or get one on the secondary market.

Those who plan, Burn.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby 48_love » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 am

Last year, I brain-farted on STEP. I had set July 4th as a make or break date, and I swear tickets started flying the middle of July.

I'm anal about preparing for trips and camping vacations, and with the unique factors presented by BRC, I calmly opted out. I pulled some hair out as the ticket offers seemed everywhere and considered a minimalist adventure with gear and shade I already had, but plan B was already been hatched. And Baja was cool.

Simply planning to burn this year, dammit.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion