Could you guys maybe do the CORE burn on Friday?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Could you guys maybe do the CORE burn on Friday?

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Last year, the playa seemed empty starting on Friday morning.
I was barely settled in before the normal disorientation of everything being "missing" seemed to start .

It seems a shame that all that work (CORE Projects) is only displayed for four days of an 8 day event.
Would the CORE burn done at Friday sunset and big burn(s) done later that night work?
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Could you guys maybe do the CORE burn on Friday?

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm

All the details have yet to be announced, but the CORE burn will happen on Thursday night.

Personally, I like that stuff changes and in some cases burns away and disappears throughout the week.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 pm

There is more to doing a burn than lighting it on fire. The logistics of managing 20+ burn locations, fire perimeters, post burn cleanup, protecting the Man and Temple, etc...

Thursday is the only evening that something like CORE can realistically happen.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ConnieH » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I was part of the Idaho CORE team last year and I'll tell you we liked the Thursday burn very much - by Thursday we were ready to be DONE with OpalEssence and enjoy the rest of the weekend. I was so worthless on Friday I couldn't even get out of bed to go watch Wall Street burn - good thing it was moved to Saturday :)
ConnieH

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

I understand why CORE happens on Thursday, but also echo the sentiment of wishing they would last longer! Some of my favorite installations were CORE projects and it was so sad to see them leave early.

Ah well. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:39 am

I'd love them all to go up with the man on saturday but that seems like it'd be too much insanity, even for burning man. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby trilobyte » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:46 am

I kinda wish they'd move all the regional effigies out into deep playa (of course, then they'd need a new acronym, since it wasn't a circle of). The central playa (between Esplanade and the man) felt a little claustrophobic at times, while deep playa seemed like it didn't have enough going on. This year's central playa plan seems to be an improvement, stay tuned for more on that to come in the next couple months.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 am

Rice wrote:Thursday is the only evening that something like CORE can realistically happen.

Help me out here...
Why is it unrealistic to burn CORE on Friday?
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 am

weather man wrote:
Rice wrote:Thursday is the only evening that something like CORE can realistically happen.

Help me out here...

Prepping for the man burn?
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 pm

weather man wrote:

Help me out here...

Among other things, the ORG provides a fire safety person for each effigy. There are many logistics involved for each burn. There are only so many qualified people available.

The CORE effigy program has pretty strict requirements of each effigy group. From original proposal to post-burn cleanup. For these burns to be accommodated within all the other burns, Thursday night is when that can happen.

I was my groups CORE fire perimeter lead during the first CORE burn 2 years ago. There were several safety meetings and the whole process was more involved than I first realized.

Since the CORE burns are around & near the MAN, if the CORE burns were to occur on Friday - it is quite possible that they may cause issues with Saturday's MAN burn (Since many of the CORE effigies were still burning the next morning). I know I would not want to be prepping the Man burn if there was anything still burning within 800 Meters of where I was....

I will check with my RC to see if she can add some details. I remember someone clearly explaining why the CORE burn cannot be any later, but do not recall all of the reasons {sigh}...

Here is some more info on the CORE projects:

Official BM Web Page: http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_core.html

CORE Blog : http://burningmancore.wordpress.com/
(Not updated, since the 2013 CORE approvals have not happened yet)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

weather man - the CORE event is more than a dozen simultaneous burns, and requires significantly more fire safety/ESD/ranger resources than, say, burning a piece of big art (ie Trojan Horse, Anubis, etc). Having a day's gap between the CORE and man burns makes a lot of sense from a resource management standpoint. Personally I'd rather see the smaller-sized regional effigies go first, rather than torching the big playa showpiece.

I can certainly understand that not seeing the regional effigies might make you feel sad, but I think part of what makes the event so magical is the impermanence of it all. Not just "oh, that camp is packing up early to avoid the line" but WHOOSH! that awesome piece of art that took somebody a year (or more) to build is up in flames or blown apart or transformed in some way to never be seen again. Rather than taking the absence of the regional effigies as a point of sadness, take it as a reminder to get out there and see as much of the art as you can.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby gaminwench » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:29 am

One year, a while back, there was an amazing, huge kinetic installation.
There was a tower with a viewing platform, surrounded by three 'mule wheel' stations;
each wheel required at least three burners to turn,
the wheels were out of sight of each other,
it required all three wheels turning in the same direction to rotate the viewing platform.

From the ground it was not at all obvious how it worked together;
folks up on the tower would yell at the ground burners, trying to get some cooperation - not effective.
We found that by having runners between the wheels, we were able to, after 15 minutes or so, get the platform to rotate.
Incredible feeling, in those moments of conquering the machine.

Gone by Thursday.
Brilliant.
Wish I knew the name of the installation/artist.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Return to 2013 Art & Performance