Virgin from SLC Utah

Virgin from SLC Utah

Postby andrewprime1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Hello all (soon to be) fellow burners. This year I am going to be making my very first pilgramige to Black Rock City and, even with more than 200 days til the man burns, I coulkdn't be more excited. I have been wanting to go to Burning Man for years, and now that I am done with college I finally can. It is sort of my treat to my self for graduating. I have been reading up and prepairing, gathering friends and putting together costume and gift ideas.

Growing up in the desert, I am a fairly compitent desert camper and aware of the awesomely harsh conditions that can be presented there. I am thinking the way to go is hexayurt, which wouldn't be too expensive when split between my friends and I. I do have a few questions however, I think the answers might be painfully obvious, but I haven't really been able to find them, so here 'goes.

1. How is your camping spot determined? Do you get assigned a spot when you arrive in BRC or can you choose (more or less) which neighborhood youre going to be in?

2. Furthermore, how do you get a spot in one of the many villages/camps (is there a difference?) and would this be a good option for a couple virgin burners?

3. I know there can be some pretty nasty windstorms on the playa, will this do much irrepairable damage to the finish on my car? AKA, should I make my buddies drive ;)?

Anyway, thats all I have for now. Thanks in advance from all the veteren burners here. I am already at full stoke level, and I still have to make it through two more semesters of school... Oh well, it will fly by I am sure, and before you know it I will be going Home for the first time! I'll see you there.
andrewprime1

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Virgin from SLC Utah

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi and welcome to ePlaya! Start by reading the Survival Guide & First Timers guide (linked in my signature below), it's considered required reading for everyone. From there, head on over to the theme camps board and start looking at threads, I'd recommend starting with this one on how to join a camp. Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 pm

1--You can choose any empty spot.
2--Hit the 2013 theme camp sub-forum and read, read, read
3--Your finish will be fine with a little care.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 am

andrewprime1 wrote:Hello all (soon to be) fellow burners. This year I am going to be making my very first pilgramige to Black Rock City and, even with more than 200 days til the man burns, I coulkdn't be more excited. I have been wanting to go to Burning Man for years, and now that I am done with college I finally can. It is sort of my treat to my self for graduating. I have been reading up and prepairing, gathering friends and putting together costume and gift ideas.

Growing up in the desert, I am a fairly compitent desert camper and aware of the awesomely harsh conditions that can be presented there. I am thinking the way to go is hexayurt, which wouldn't be too expensive when split between my friends and I. I do have a few questions however, I think the answers might be painfully obvious, but I haven't really been able to find them, so here 'goes.

1. How is your camping spot determined? Do you get assigned a spot when you arrive in BRC or can you choose (more or less) which neighborhood youre going to be in?

Welcome!

You'll get a map at Greeter's (one step beyond Gate, where they tear your ticket and inspect your car). The map will show you Open Camping and Theme Camping. Talk to your neighbors before you start hammering spikes, just in case. The map will also be available on the main site by mid-year.

2. Furthermore, how do you get a spot in one of the many villages/camps (is there a difference?) and would this be a good option for a couple virgin burners?

Camps are specialized, with a mission; villages tend to be larger and slightly less specialized, but may include several camps.

Read the "How to Join a Theme Camp" thread in the 2013 Theme Camps forum. There will be more Theme Camps recruiting in a month or two. If you want to camp with local folks (you don't have to) click on "Regionals" at the top right of the main site. Many others meet up with non-local camps on the playa.

Camps are not a must, especially if you're an accomplished camper. You have less support without a camp, but are free to do as you please without one. But it really depends on the person (and the camp). Choose wisely. Know what you need to be happy.

3. I know there can be some pretty nasty windstorms on the playa, will this do much irrepairable damage to the finish on my car? AKA, should I make my buddies drive ;)?

There are lots of threads in the Transportation forum that will help you. Don't count on beong able to fit more than 2 people in their supplies into a sedan--if you pack light. If there's 2-3 of you, a van or SUV will work. For two, a cargo van is marvelous.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby andrewprime1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! I have definitely read a bunch of stuff already, (including the survival guide and FAQ stuff on the Burning Man website) and I will keep on doing so, probably right up until the day I leave for BRC, haha.

So I am thinking that I will probably be fine on my own, no need to join a camp. Maybe I will in the coming years, but there are already so many things to be thinking about and preparing for I think I will go it alone. I have a bigger truck, and it's just gonna be me and one friend, i think we'll be okay, but i might take a small enclosed trailer as well. Good tips guys, thanks for welcoming me into the community. The man burns in 199 days!! Can't wait.
andrewprime1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Get to know your local burners There are Plenty of burnerish events before that thing in the desert
End of march here in Ogden we are celebrating spring equinox the weekend of march 22nd music and fun all weekend, not to mention E11 our regional burn in July in grantsville
Ogdenhousedj

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 am

Indeed, there are plenty of burners here in the Beehive! Welcome.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Introduce Yourself!