Pre-Register For The Individual Ticket Sale

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Pre-Register For The Individual Ticket Sale

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Right now there should be no reason to log in, other than to register for tickets.

I suspect that your registration will just be scrubbed from the system before emails start going out, but will confirm that with the ticketing team.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 pm

I just heard back from the ticket team, the list will be scrubbed to remove duplicates and those who participated in the directed group sale.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby rubymermaid » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I hadn't made a burner profile, clicked on the appropriate button but it only asked for my info (email, name, address) and I did not create a Burner Profile username and log in. Should I be worried? I don't want to register twice and be kicked out as a scalper.

I am very worried, especially since it is likely most will be waiting on an email confirmation that comes far after the cut off to register. Panic time!
rubymermaid

Postby A.K.A. CNC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm

So will the email with passcode also contain whatever info is necessary to have a username and password for your burner profile? At what point do we get to complete a profile including past works etc. blah blah blah.......?
A.K.A. CNC

Burning Since: 2011

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Edited for clarification

If you did not create a burner profile before registering (that is, you just clicked the 'Yes!…' button), then you did it wrong.

Go back to the site, click the button that says "No! I need to create a burner profile" and follow those instructions to create an account and pre-register for the 2013 ticket sale. Please take the time to read and follow the instructions on the page. As the page states, "The information you provide below will be used to create your Burner Profile and pre-register you for access to the Burning Man 2013 Individual Ticket Sale."

The email that will follow will have the information necessary in order to participate in the ticket sale, and once the ticket registration rush is over you'll have the opportunity to log into your account and fill in the additional profile information (that optional info is not required in order to purchase tickets).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby missprism » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 pm

the system doesn't verify the burner profile name/email entered as its entered?
missprism

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Holiday216 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm

trilobyte wrote:If you did not create a burner profile before registering (that is, you just clicked the 'Yes!…' button), then you did it wrong.

There's no field to enter a username in the 'No, I don't have a profile' area, but, following creation of a profile, a username is required to pass through the 'Yes, I have a profile' link
Holiday216

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Gino de DRGN » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:53 pm

trilobyte... I think you almost have this cleared up. Give us a little more:

-- Yes, we need to reg
-- You can't reg unless you have a profile
-- You can't actually "do it wrong" if you don't have a profile... you can't get passed the "username" part... you can do nothing
-- So you have to try to create a profile...

This is where it seems many of us are confused.

-- You enter everything *except* a username/pword... and you get this:

"Thank you! You have requested access to the Individual Ticket Sale on Wednesday, February 13, 2013, starting at 12pm (noon) PST. You will receive a confirmation email within 24-36 hours (allowing us time to remove known scalpers and those who have already bought tickets in the Directed Group Sale). This email will contain a link to the sale and your unique pass code for accessing the sale."

I think the confusion now is... where are we now in this process?

-- I don't know if I have created a profile or not
-- I don't have a username/pword
-- I know I'm supposed to look for a confirmation email... BUT... is that for folks that successfully pre-reg'd? Or for folks that have successfully created a profile? Or both? Or???

It's the two steps, man... we don't know which one we just completed (profile or reg).

(fawk)

Thank you!
Gino de DRGN

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Red Flag / DRGN

Postby missprism » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 pm

yeah, i guess i'm confused too. i DO have a burner profile. i entered my profile name but i did not enter a password.
missprism

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Reading comprehension will set you free ;)

If you do not ALREADY HAVE a burner profile, and you click on the "No!…" button, you will be given a message right below the button you just clicked that reads "The information you provide below will be used to create your Burner Profile and pre-register you for access to the Burning Man 2013 Individual Ticket Sale." Then simply provide that info by filling in those blanks and clicking the Submit button. That's it, nothing else is needed to be done at this time.

If you do already have a burner profile, and you click on the "Yes!…" button, you will be prompted to enter the username and email address on your Burner Profile account. Then you hit the Submit button. No other information is needed.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Gino de DRGN » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm

>> Reading comprehension will set you free

Ha! I like that... it's funny. : ]

>> a message right below the button you just clicked that reads "The information you provide below will be used to create your Burner Profile and pre-register you for access to the Burning Man 2013 Individual Ticket Sale." Then simply provide that info by filling in those blanks and clicking the Submit button. That's it, nothing else is needed to be done at this time.

Yes... BUT DID IT WORK AS PLANNED! : ]

My mom once told me if I was a good person everything would work out okay... but... you know... sometimes it takes a little more than that. Sometimes you stand in the wrong line at the DMV... it happens. No dis to mom, im jus sayin'. That reminds me... I'm gonna make *her* send me a confirmation email about the whole "life working out" thing. And there will be a shit storm if I don't get *that* email in 36 hrs! C'mon mom... first Burning Man, now you?! Fawk.

: ]

> That's it, nothing else is needed to be done at this time.

And that, Mr Sir, is what I was looking for... and I'll follow up via email if I don't see a confirm by Friday.

TY! Happy Ticket Questions to you. : ]
Gino de DRGN

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Red Flag / DRGN

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Gino de DRGN - no worries. So long as you hit the submit button and got the confirmation msg on the screen, it's in the system (the record is added to the database before the message is displayed).

missprism - I missed this earlier, but you'd asked whether the system verified users when registering. It should. Someone earlier had mentioned something about entering a username/email but they hadn't yet created a profile - though since responding I've checked the system a few times and if I just make up a username/email it tells me that doesn't exist.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I created a Burner Profile a few days ago and pre-registered a few minutes ago...went smooth as glass. This bodes well for the ticketing process this year! :)
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Postby blakkbeauty » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 pm

when I registered it did not ask me to create a username. Did I miss something?
blakkbeauty

Postby avalon25 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 am

Jenifersteppat wrote:I created a Burner Profile a few days ago

??
I think i missed something or i am stupid… or just french, and not good enough in english to really understand the whole process (but it seems not, because a friend of mine in SF had the same feeling than mine).
How do people can already have created a burner profile a few days ago as the website said it would be only opened the 6th at noon ?? I did all i could, i mean filling in the fields in the "no i need to create…" : and that's all ! I hope it's ok, even if i'm still waiting for the confirmation email to come…
avalon25

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 am

avalon25 wrote:
Jenifersteppat wrote:I created a Burner Profile a few days ago

??
I think i missed something or i am stupid… or just french, and not good enough in english to really understand the whole process (but it seems not, because a friend of mine in SF had the same feeling than mine).
How do people can already have created a burner profile a few days ago as the website said it would be only opened the 6th at noon ?? I did all i could, i mean filling in the fields in the "no i need to create…" : and that's all ! I hope it's ok, even if i'm still waiting for the confirmation email to come…

Some of the folks buying Directed Tickets (as part of the camps who were invited to) were prompted to register for their profiles earlier, in time to make the Directed Ticket purchase. Try not to worry--it sounds like you registered exactly when you were supposed to. You should receive your confirmation of your Burner Profile in 36 hours.

If you don't, email ticketsupport[at]burningman.com

Good luck!

ETA some clarification from Shambala:

Shambala wrote:There is no confirmation email sent. Once the list is checked for duplicates or problems, you will get an email with your code number on it. Copy and paste that into the order page when the ticket window opens, Wednesday, February 13, 2013 At 12pm (noon) PST.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby planetaryjaygo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Keep the faith folks and believe in the system, Trilobyte knows his stuff.
One thing I learnt from sitting on the leaf of the banyan tree is that the universe is incredibly simple,
and its my own hallucinations that are so complex and inconceivably uncertain.
the future kicks...
planetaryjaygo

Postby parracky parrot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Well, just signed up for the burning profile - and I already have a complaint. By letting google analytics run in the background on the sign-up page, BRC are already violating their own privacy policy.

I do cyber security for a living, and I am sooo tired of beating my head on the wall...
parracky parrot

Postby ConnieH » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

trilobyte wrote:You may not participate in another sale if you receive a low income ticket.

That's all fine and good if you get confirmation that you received a low income ticket prior to the main sale next week, but what if you're still waiting to hear? Is it ok to create a burner profile and pre-register for the main sale or will that nuke any chance for either???

And where in the process is this "username" created?

And when I clicked the "No - create profile" button and entered my name, it didn't say anything about entering my name EXACTLY as on my credit card, so I entered Connie because that's what I go by...by Constance is my legal name and on my credit card. I probably screwed it up, and it would have been helpful if they would have made it clear when you fill in that info that it's important to get it right.
ConnieH

Postby missprism » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm

anyone get their codes yet?

(i didn't)
missprism

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:36 pm

ConnieH - as per the Low Income section of the tickets page, "These tickets are reserved for participants on a limited income who cannot otherwise afford our regular priced ticket."

My guess is that participating in the Individual Sale would disqualify that low income application.

As for the username, you will receive an email with a temporary password and information on how to choose a username, change your password, and fill in additional profile details.

If you entered a first/last name for the ticket sale that would not be recognized by your bank (ie used a playa name, or a shortened version, etc), or if you've created multiple accounts to correct an error, then use the contact form to contact the Profiles team to get that fixed.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Roark » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I spent 25 years writing code for a living. The guy who "forgot" to provide a real after-POST confirmation screen (aka "congrats, Sam! You have been pre-registered as follows (list of data entered here)" should be taken to the cybernetic woodshed and shot.

Next: Why does the Burner Profile form ask for a name/addy/city/email but not the state and zip? The zip I can see being omitted if your backend hooks up to the USPS API, but i suggest the state is rather important. (My address and city exists in THREE DIFFERENT STATES. Only one of these is *me*. They say they are "going to use this info to communicate with me?" Like, maybe, send tickets eventually? Rut-roh...)

Finally, why NOT send an email saying "we are reviewing your information and will advise you shortly of your status" or something similar? Takes the server 10 mS to generate it and another dozen to hand it off to the mailserver for delivery. Another example of someone not thinking this through.

So now I sit here, with apparently abundant company, wondering if I actually have a "Burner Profile", am "Pre-Registered As Promised" or whether the server just threw-away my data because some other, similarly conceived and implemented process, has farted WITHOUT FEEDBACK OR NOTICE.

I await, and patiently, for the server to bestow me with enlightenment. Lacking this, I am forced to believe in the blind hope that Trilobytes assurances are good.
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Jenifersteppat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Still waiting for my email confirmation code too - I am assuming I should have it by 7AM tomorrow based on the 24-36 hour message...unless that means from when pre-registration closes. I hope not.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Postby TT120 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Agreed Roark, the code is severely lacking. It looks like somebody down at the ORG got a hold of "HTML for Dummies" and is practicing with table inputs. It didn't seem like there was any "back end" at all so not likely it was hooked to the USPS API. They're just starting this burner profile thing anyway so it's going to need more work like more confirmations and direct link to the mail server. I wouldn't sweat it, theres going to be people going over all this crudely collected data and getting it all straightened out. The important things will be the e-mail address (so you can get your code) and your name (so it matches your credit card). They're not using all the data yet, just some of it.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Relax.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Roark » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm

MUST. NOT. STRESS. ABOUT. TICKETS...

(Rats. Not working. I'm going to the Bar thread. Will be mucho better shortly).

I'm rootin' for ya, Trilo. :mrgreen: Keep up the good fight.
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby TT120 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 pm

trilobyte wrote:Relax.

Exactly. Well put.

It's all good. Part of the ride!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby ConnieH » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 pm

trilobyte wrote:ConnieH - as per the Low Income section of the tickets page, "These tickets are reserved for participants on a limited income who cannot otherwise afford our regular priced ticket."

My guess is that participating in the Individual Sale would disqualify that low income application.

As for the username, you will receive an email with a temporary password and information on how to choose a username, change your password, and fill in additional profile details.

If you entered a first/last name for the ticket sale that would not be recognized by your bank (ie used a playa name, or a shortened version, etc), or if you've created multiple accounts to correct an error, then use the contact form to contact the Profiles team to get that fixed.

Thank you - the low income question is for my boyfriend, who can't afford a ticket (i.e. I can't afford to buy him a ticket, but will go into debt if I have to and he has a credit card in his name that is on my account...ugh...long enabling story there...) So I guess I'll just let him fly on the low income application and see what happens - it was just never clearly written if it would actually disqualify anything if he applied for the individual sale. I guess this begs the question, can he still create a "Burner Profile"? Or are Burner Profiles restricted to those who are only participating in the individual or group sales?

I did email BMorg and they said "You don't need to create it with the exact name from your credit card. If you get into the sale on the 13th you will be asked to enter in all of your credit card details and full name at that time as well and you can put down your legal name." So that is clarification for anyone else who uses a commonly use nickname like I do.

I appreciate the responses - I've gotten hosed out of tickets the past two years in the online sale and had to go to the secondary market. I'm not stressing, just annoyed that details like this can't be explained on the website. Explaining the username procedure up front would alleviate a bunch of questions from anal bitches like me :) I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir and will respectively send my comments to BMorg for next year. Thanks all!
ConnieH

Postby Frizzboom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Enjoy the adventure...
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle
Frizzboom

Camp Name: Suggestions?

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 pm

planetaryjaygo wrote:Keep the faith folks and believe in the system, Trilobyte knows his stuff.

Oh, what I'd give to take that post with me in a time machine to a little less than a year ago!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion