whats with the hippie/raver hate

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: whats with the hippie/raver hate

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 pm

:?:
Hey everybody, I have a question that sort'a fits this thread:

What's with the hairstyle I think of as "rastafarian"? ...The wildly long hair that is permanently matted like the person has never realized the comb was invented? I think it is called dreadlocks, but I'm not sure. I get the impression this hairstyle is associated with a lifestyle or philosophy. Anybody know for sure? (Speculation not helpful.) :?
Elliot's Nude Bicycle Bar & Rude Piano Playing - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09 am

For Rastafarians it's religious (don't ask me the specifics, I don't know, just like I don't know why monks tonsure their hair).

For others it can be for any reason - some people do it because it works well with their hair. I have a few African-American friends who have dreads because they're actually easier to maintain than a 'fro, they don't want a clipper cut, and straightening their hair with toxic chemical to fit a mainstream ideal of beauty isn't something they're willing to do. They also tend to be better maintained than those ratty dreads you mention.

Then there's people (like my boss, and one of my "boys") who wear them as fashion. They like the way they move when they're dancing, they like how they look, it's just another hairstyle.

Then there's the nasty hippies who have the big, ugly, knotted ones that look like a rat is living in their hair, and you keep expecting to see bugs crawling out of it. They have it because they're dirty, nasty, hippies.

Personally, other than the last kind, I think they can be hot as hell on the right person. I find them way less offensive than pasty legs in shorts.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am

Eric wrote:I find them way less offensive than pasty legs in shorts.

Not a problem here...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am

:D
Thanks, Eric!

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am

Hey!!! Some of us are proud of our pasty legs!!! :shock:

I try to wear shorts as long as possible, but when the temperature drops below -15C (5F) I switch to pants for the remainder of the winter. Usually switch back to shorts in late April or early May (depending on the spring weather) - or when its gets over -15C for 3 days in a row -- whichever happens first.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Zhust » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Elliot wrote:Say, is "jee" a word of your own, or is it coming into general usage? It is certainly needed -- I've been using "they", which is rather awkward.

Yeah ... devised here. Yet another attempt at the illusive gender-neutral pronoun.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Rice wrote:Hey!!! Some of us are proud of our pasty legs!!! :shock:

I'm a red-head who lives in SF. I have pasty legs (well, the parts without the freckles). Still don't like 'em in shorts. :lol:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Zhust wrote:
Elliot wrote:Say, is "jee" a word of your own, or is it coming into general usage? It is certainly needed -- I've been using "they", which is rather awkward.

Yeah ... devised here. Yet another attempt at the illusive gender-neutral pronoun.

Good work, Jay. This field needs extensive exploration, and I'm glad to see that work is being done by many others also. From what I just read on Wikipedia it sounds like "they" is leading the race, based on long and widespread usage. Granted, new words are being added to the language all the time, but they represents new inventions or new phenomena. So it might be difficult to introduce new words for the age-old he-she-or-it.
Keep after it!

Elliot

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks