An Open Letter to Stephen King

All things outside of Burning Man.

An Open Letter to Stephen King

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 pm

AN OPEN LETTER TO STEPHEN KING:

Mr. King: First, I am neither a Republican nor an NRA member, and neither am I affiliated with the Tea Party.

The first time the idea of a school shooting entered my conscience was the book "Rage" written by you under the name Bachmann. The NEXT time I read about disaffected high school kids committing mass murder was in the Stephen King classic "Carrie," followed by the book and movie "Christine."

You have sold MILLIONS of copies of these books about children killing each other, Mr. King, and in most cases the disaffected mass-murder is the sort-of-good guy. (The bullies always get ground up especially brutally, don't they?)

So while you're using your twisted but lucrative imagination by invoking chunks of children's intestines in your political tirade, how come you're still accepting royalties for books you continue to sell about disaffected high school kids murdering each other?

Mr. King, you are making money off of gory adolescent-level fiction about school murders while while blaming the NRA? REALLY? Enjoy the fame, the fortune and the ivory tower you have earned publishing words like:

"“Mr. Grace sounded like a very small child, helpless, hopeless. I had made him fuck himself with his own big tool, like one of those weird experiences you read about in the Penthouse Forum. I had taken off his witch doctor's mask and made him human. But I didn't hold it against him" means..."

"When everything is at its worst, your mind just throws it all into the wastebasket and goes to Florida for a little while. There is a sudden electric what-the-hell glow as you stand there looking back over your shoulder at the bridge you just burnt down." -Rage

Perhaps you can remind us how at the end of your book "It", all of the kids gang-banging the 11-year-old girl in the sewer saved Derry from the monster clown and the giant magic space turtle. That was some profound American literature right there. How much money did you make off of "It"?

Congratulations, Mr. King, you hypocrite. Sincerely, you disgust me.

Chris Gattman
Portland, Oregon

in response to:
http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2013/01 ... ng-scenes/
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: An Open Letter to Stephen King

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to Open Discussion, as the repost seems more like a general politics & philosophy thing and not specific to the politics and philosophy of the Burning Man event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Roark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Dear Chris;
I read with interest your rant about my writings. Thank you for your erudite analysis of the current social/educational outlook.
I will be writing you into my next novel. Your character will die a horrific death.
Sincerely,
S. King. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Are we burning books now. :roll:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Roark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm

No, I think those evil books spontaneously combusted. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Fuck no I'm gonna read me some Hunter Thompson. I'm taping a pistol grip to my old Enfield musket--Oprah--and putting the bayonet on it so I can be arrested for having a military style assault weapon. Because if the official weapon of Antietam and Gettysburg wasn't a military-style assault weapon, well, I guess I better put a pistol grip on it.

If Hunter Thompson was going to commit suicide, why didn't he take about a bunch of commie right- left- wing fucktards? Failboat.

When I take over the world--which is going to happen--high-capacity magazines are going to be required to have the following stamped on them: "Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: depression, anxiety, aggression, agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts, hallucinations, memory problems, changes in personality, risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger, or thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself." http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ambien-side-effects.html

The second part of my manifesto is that half-cases of beer will be limited to nine bottles instead of twelve in order to reduce alcohol-related deaths among teenage drivers.

Article the Third of My Manifesto is that Marshall will make ten-round pistol magazines that go to eleven. That in no way will increase or reduce crime, but, fuck you, Ralph, I got the conch.

What were we talking about?
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

This... This is why we can't have nice things.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

junglesmacks wrote:This... This is why we can't have nice things.

hook, line, and sinker, Js............he got ya!

of course, this is performance art......and damn well done!!

Bravo.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:commie right- left- wing fucktards?

that much non-sequitur in 5 words has got to be performance art.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 pm

ygmir wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:This... This is why we can't have nice things.

hook, line, and sinker, Js............he got ya!

of course, this is performance art......and damn well done!!

Bravo.

Um.. Yggy?

Time to make that switch to de-caf.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to Open Discussion