How to spot undercover cops?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: How to spot undercover cops?

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm

JovReef wrote:I am actually very thankful for your thread Adam. It has been the most entertaining to read.

It did get me wondering, do you think the undercover cops camp with us or leave after their shift?

I would assume at least some of them camp there to complete the deception. This will be my first time though so that's purely speculation based on what I've read on the internet haha.

uncle sticky wrote:
AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:i'm bringing jaeger and fireball and southern comfort for shots

How old are you? 19? Geez, who drinks that crap?

Lots of people drink that crap, or maybe it's just me and teardropper... I'll also have whiskey and vodka but in my opinion those are for mixed drinks. What would you consider to be a proper shot worthy of your liver? Everclear? I just happen to like shots that taste good, not just burn but burn tastily.

Eric wrote:Trust me, in a week no-one will even remember this thread (unless you bust them while doing a shot of jaeger :shock: )

:lol: This made my day, perfect incongruity!
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Postby maladroit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm

"Southern Comfort" and "tastily" creates so much cognitive dissonance it's a wonder I can still type.
maladroit

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm

maladroit wrote:"Southern Comfort" and "tastily" creates so much cognitive dissonance it's a wonder I can still type.

Come on, that killed Janis, it's gots to be gooooood.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bromance1857 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 pm

DO NOT give or take anything illegal from anyone you did not travel in with or have spent a plethra of time with over two days(Getting naked together also helps but is proves nothing).
Also, be much more aware when the weekenders show up..they bring the undercover cops.

In 2011 my friends and I were dancing and I had a small backpack at my feet. I was not on anything nor did I have anything in the bag. A very young looking girl kept dancing over to me and asking if I had anything to share. Twice I just danced away. On the third time when she asked I yelled really loud: "WHY WOULD I GIVE DRUGS TO A UNDERCOVER COP?!" She bolted and so did about six large dudes near by.

Even though I was doing nothing wrong it was a scary wake-up call that Undercover cops are in BRC and they can be agressive.

Stay sharp Boy Scouts.
Bromance1857

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Bromance1857 wrote:DO NOT give or take anything illegal from anyone you did not travel in with or have spent a plethra of time with over two days(Getting naked together also helps but is proves nothing).
Also, be much more aware when the weekenders show up..they bring the undercover cops.

In 2011 my friends and I were dancing and I had a small backpack at my feet. I was not on anything nor did I have anything in the bag. A very young looking girl kept dancing over to me and asking if I had anything to share. Twice I just danced away. On the third time when she asked I yelled really loud: "WHY WOULD I GIVE DRUGS TO A UNDERCOVER COP?!" She bolted and so did about six large dudes near by.

:lol:

Welcome to the board. You can post an introductory thread in "Introduce Yourself" forum too, if you like.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Love that story bromance. I do believe that cops at BRC are needed at times, after all iT is a pretty big city. But when they are just trying so hard to bust people who are not bothering anyone and just keeping it down low, well that kind of sucks...

Bottom line=don't be stupid
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

lucky420 wrote:Love that story bromance. I do believe that cops at BRC are needed at times, after all iT is a pretty big city. But when they are just trying so hard to bust people who are not bothering anyone and just keeping it down low, well that kind of sucks...

I really hope no drug-seeking person or cop ever forces me to yell above the music: "DO I LOOK STUPID TO YOU?!"

(Because it'll probably means I'm wearing a pink wig and a disco ball tutu, and the answer is YES, I totally DO.)

Savannah

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 pm

People were pretty convinced Kendoll was a cop. I don't know what they thought of me lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Savannah wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Love that story bromance. I do believe that cops at BRC are needed at times, after all iT is a pretty big city. But when they are just trying so hard to bust people who are not bothering anyone and just keeping it down low, well that kind of sucks...

I really hope no drug-seeking person or cop ever forces me to yell above the music: "DO I LOOK STUPID TO YOU?!"

(Because it'll probably means I'm wearing a pink wig and a disco ball tutu, and the answer is YES, I totally DO.)

I'm such a freakin square these days that most of the code will be lost on me.

The 4:20 and J would totally have me giving directions.
Someone told me once they were looking for Molly and I genuinely said I didn't know anyone by that name.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Sham » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

I know I posted this before, but since this thread is alive again-----I parked my art car on the playa and was walking around, and a guy came up to me and warned me that it was an undercover art car roaming the playa and to be careful. Once rumors start, it's hard to stop them. No one offered me anything illegal the entire week! :roll:
Sham

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Savannah wrote:

I'm such a freakin square these days that most of the code will be lost on me.

The 4:20 and J would totally have me giving directions.

I totally would've given directions too. :lol: I didn't know "J" was a thing.

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 pm

If anyone asks to "share" something, just tell them "I'm undercover, go away!". 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 pm

FIGJAM wrote:If anyone asks to "share" something, just tell them "I'm undercover, go away!". 8)

Savannah

Postby Roark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 pm

How to say "Hello Officer!" without being a dickwad:

Do you know where I can score some acid?
(Hydrochloric, sulfuric, or phosphoric?)
I need some ecstasy for my camp!
(Here. Take my copy of the Holy Bible. I stole it from the Gideons in a Motel 6 in Sylmar. Have fun!)
I need some herb!
(This is like TOTALLY righteous shit, man! It's tarragon and it's the BOMB on chicken!)
Where can I score some coke?
(Right here! I have Diet, Regular, and Zero. You pick it. The first hit is free...)

You get the idea. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby usurpedus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

theres some good info on here, but theres still some misconceptions. i know two people who have had direct experience getting arrested at BM so ill try to share some points i remember.

its my understanding that BM festival area is a zero tolerance area.

you guys keep saying "dont be stupid", "avoid people you dont know" blah blah blah. its more than that, and the people that have gotten in trouble werent being necessarily stupid. picture meeting a cool guy or girl monday and spending several days together.. basically a playa boyfriend/girlfriend more or less. that can be an undercover. i know someone who got busted by someone at the end of the burn by someone they thought they had come to know. he wasnt being stupid, the undercover was just able to get past that first line of defense against dealing with an undercover.

i have another friend that was asked by two undercover girls, after a night of dancing together, to smoke a joint with them. he also got arrested, for smoking their weed. and no its not entrapment unless a police office gets you to go out of your way to do something you wouldnt normally do.

aside from what the person involved with the arrest might have done, know that their camp will also get searched. and this search could lead to much much more serious arrests, to people that were being extremely careful. so be aware of this as i know of people who got arrested because their belongings were searched once the police entered their camp because they now had probably cause.

this past year as someone mentioned BLM hired additional security personnel, basically high level rent a cops. the BLM can hear everything going on over ranger radio. but my point is that theres a much larger LEO presence than previous years.

if you get arrested you will be immediately taken to a holding area kinda by the gate. they will treat you like shit. they will not allow you to get anything from your camp, like an id, credit card to be able to buy a bus ride home, nothing. if youre busted wearing a g string, thats what you're going to be taken into custody with. theyll take you to pershing county prison, which is about a 2 hour ride from BM, east of reno. its terrible. if you are arrested in the middle of the night youll be handcuffed till the morning when a transport is ready. the only thing youll get a good sense of is how extensive their undercover network is, as they crack jokes about all the ravers and druggies.

once you get to pershing youll be booked and theyll set bail. if you get arrested before the weekend theres a good chance youll get to see a judge the following day. if you get arrested during the weekend the earliest you will likely be able to see the judge is tuesday, to be arraigned. during this time youll get your one phonecall but if your close friends/family are on the playa, its kinda fucked because your camp wont be told where youre being taken. you can call a family member and ask them to contact a bail bondsmen, otherwise youre going to wait till tuesday or wednesday. again, because youre separated from your camp this can cause huge problems for them getting off playa. or if you drove to bm alone, could pose some issues with your car being stuck back out there. its really really difficult.. again especially if you hav mo credit card or id. even if you have a family member bailed out, youre basically stuck outside pershing county jail with no resources or way to get home.

im starting to ramble now.. i just wanted to give some insight into what its like being arrested, and especially that it can be much more difficult than you think to avoid undercovers or slipping up and giving in to a request from someone that youve known on playa for what you think is a safe amount of time.

please feel free to ask any questions if you have any, ill do my best to answer them.
usurpedus

Postby BBadger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 pm

VultureChow wrote:The 4:20 and J would totally have me giving directions.

It'd be funny if the cops actually did set up their base-camp at that address.

Just for kicks I checked, but there wasn't anything like that -- not officially that is.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Roark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

It would indeed be funny to have a camp that did nothing but follow the narcs around screaming "Piggy! Piggy! Piggy!". Never let up. Let them blow their cover just once, and then crucify them publicly.

I nominate Simon for this duty. :) (((-ducking-))) :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Roark wrote:It would indeed be funny to have a camp that did nothing but follow the narcs around screaming "Piggy! Piggy! Piggy!". Never let up. Let them blow their cover just once, and then crucify them publicly.

I nominate Simon for this duty. :) (((-ducking-))) :mrgreen:

We had this discussion once before. I don't remember the search terms, so I won't link to it.

And with domestic violence, rape and attempted stabbings happening on-playa, I'm with Lucky on the "Sometimes having cops around is a good thing."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Roark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Cops are indeed useful critters. No argument about that. It's the NARCs I have an issue with. They can (and do, lawfully) lie, cheat, steal and entrap with complete impunity. These guys get the BUDGET and the RESOURCES. But why? I mean, they impose the morals of a fundamentally immoral government upon otherwise good people. Heck... you've got 50 states with 50 different takes on the drug laws. None of them agree. And then you have the Feds who disagree with all of them. If there isn't a general consensus about right/wrong, then how can they prosecute you with a straight face?

Look at it another way:

Rape = wrong (all 50 states!)
Domestic violence = wrong (all 50 states!)
Stabbing = wrong (all 50 states!)
Weed... well.... lets just say the only thing all 50 states agree upon is they dont agree.

Having said that, I don't want to be around any of it. My personal "moral compass" doesn't point that way. But I still think our Gooberment is milking without a bucket when it comes to some of the drug laws.

YMMV. :mrgreen:
Roark

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm

If narcs could do real, useful police work, they'd become real cops.
gyre

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:19 pm

usurpedus wrote:its my understanding that BM festival area is a zero tolerance area.

You are correct - just like the rest of Nevada & all Federal lands.

you guys keep saying "dont be stupid", "avoid people you dont know" blah blah blah. its more than that, and the people that have gotten in trouble werent being necessarily stupid.

No, it's really just that. Period. Don't be stupid - it's breaking State & Federal law, any repercussions a person faces because they choose to do that are because they were stupid enough to get caught breaking those laws in an extremely heavily policed environment.

Drug use on the playa can cost someone a huge fine & possibly prison time (and their campmates as well); no matter how you try to phrase your defense of the people you know of ("someone they thought they had come to know"), they were, indeed, being stupid. They shared drugs with an undercover cop - a person who is trained to get past "that first line of defense", it's their job description, for gods sake (otherwise they'd be "blatant cop"). They paid the price. They were stupid.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby usurpedus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:02 pm

its actually a little different at BM. my understanding is what might normally be a lesser misdemeanor charge could and will be a felony charge at BM.

but yeah, just dont be stupid! and dont speed either! or lie! or eat bad food!
usurpedus

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

if you find you have by accident brought drugs to the playa, and are concerned about being arrested, as you should be, feel free to drop off all unused or unwanted drugs at the DPW ( drugs, paraphenalia and whisky) and they will dispose of it, properly.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby H.G.Crosby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:if you find you have by accident brought drugs to the playa, and are concerned about being arrested, as you should be, feel free to drop off all unused or unwanted drugs at the DPW ( drugs, paraphenalia and whisky) and they will dispose of it, properly.

one line at a time off of a strippers ass, i assume.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby maladroit » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

H.G.Crosby wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:if you find you have by accident brought drugs to the playa, and are concerned about being arrested, as you should be, feel free to drop off all unused or unwanted drugs at the DPW ( drugs, paraphenalia and whisky) and they will dispose of it, properly.

one line at a time off of a strippers ass, i assume.

Pinkies extended.
maladroit

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

8 ball rails?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm

tamarakay wrote:People were pretty convinced Kendoll was a cop. I don't know what they thought of me lol

Ken is such a beautiful Mr.Clean ad, I can totally see that. Especially that way he has of looking around, like, "Y'all are hilarious but I ain't saying a word."

He also looks ready to pop somebody in a heartbeat without even blinking. But in a nice way.

You, of course, look like the teen-aged daughter he brought along to bust people for serving alcohol to minors, Tamara. 8) It's no wonder bartenders spazz when you ask for a soft drink.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Some people think I'm a narc out there.
It's no wonder some people get fooled so easily.
gyre

Postby Sham » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm

gyre wrote:Some people think I'm a narc out there.
It's no wonder some people get fooled so easily.

When were you there last? Things have changed! :lol:
Sham

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Couple of years ago.
People are smarter?

When my hair was dyed, no one thought I was a narc,
Anyone fooled by small things will be fooled easily.

Hard to believe, when they usually give themselves away eventually.
Days of constant work for a small bust is sort of impressively pointless though, it it happened that way.

Everyone knows a baseball cap and antique 'phone' are the universal hallmarks of narcery.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks