socks-only dance floor ideas?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

socks-only dance floor ideas?

Postby brotherbear » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey burners,

I want to make a socks-only dance floor on which we can glide around during the day till the sun goes down. I was looking at foam interlocking tiles but most are textured and not very slippery. linoleum could work but its pretty heavy to lug to the playa. any ideas?
brotherbear

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: electric bear brigade

Re: socks-only dance floor ideas?

Postby VultureChow » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

There's a wood finish foam tile that might be smooth enough to work

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby graidawg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 pm

knowmad showed me a dance floor last year, it was socks only and kind of awesome. i was slightly err, influenced at the time though so i cannot remember what or where it was. not far from BDC&WB though or we would never have got there
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm

graidawg wrote:knowmad showed me a dance floor last year, it was socks only and kind of awesome. i was slightly err, influenced at the time though so i cannot remember what or where it was. not far from BDC&WB though or we would never have got there

I think it was called Ravenwave (or something similar) Raven was definitely the first part of it's name.

It was also lit with black light and everyone was wearing white. It looked like a rental dance floor in perfect condition (brand new?) and did have a strict socks only policy.

I remember this because it was my birthday and I was out and about with you and knowmad... good times! :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm

You know, given a couple of quarts of baby oil, you can convert just about any dance floor into a waterless slip-n-slide.

Just sayin. :mrgreen: In case you run-out of ideas....
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm

moonrise wrote:I remember this because it was my birthday and I was out and about with you and knowmad... good times! :P

So that's why I never remember things at burningman. Oh, the curse of a july birthday.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Roark wrote:You know, given a couple of quarts of baby oil, you can convert just about any dance floor into a waterless slip-n-slide.

I like using Pledge spray. That shit is SLICK.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Many years ago there was an awesome camp, the Petting Zoo, built of canvas army tents. They had an entry controlled by capacity and if you left, you had to wait in line to get back in. The entry room had benches and shelves for shoes and carpet to capture dust. Then there was a zig zag of hallways into the main room with inflatable couches and a sultry DJ. No one would tell what was inside and people exiting were sworn to secrecy. With the dim lighting there was plenty of making out.

I would suggest just laying used billboard vinyl over playa. You could do more than one layer if necessary. Then spray it with silicone or wax it if that is the effect you are looking for. If you have a lot lot of fundage, you can get rolls of linoleum dance stage sheeting. There are several similar products of other plastics. I've seen black (though it comes in other colors and woodgrain) and about is about 1/8" thick. I would put billboard vinyl under it in order to better preserve it. Carpet stores may sell something similar.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Elliot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 am

Several dance camps use a big tarp on the ground. In 2007 I bought a farmer's hay tarp of 40' x 60' for just over $300,- at a farm supply store. I use it for shade, but it should serve well as a dance floor.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Roark » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:11 am

BBadger wrote:
Roark wrote:You know, given a couple of quarts of baby oil, you can convert just about any dance floor into a waterless slip-n-slide.

Sick minds think alike! But I would caution you against licking Pledge off any fallen sparkle-ponies. That stuff tastes like a lemon-scented kerosene wick. (Don't ask me how I know this). :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby TomServo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:56 am

Here are two ideas for you to shoot down right away:

- Portable dance floor. Comes in 3ft by 3ft sections, that link together and are secured by several hex nuts. Each piece is constructed of wood and metal, and pretty heavy.

-The skating floor. Several pieces of plywood layed down, then covered with Masonite...so no seams match! Then wood screwed down together.

Again, totally impractical, unless you own a flatbed truck. But maybe NEXT year!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 am

moonrise wrote:
graidawg wrote:knowmad showed me a dance floor last year, it was socks only and kind of awesome. i was slightly err, influenced at the time though so i cannot remember what or where it was. not far from BDC&WB though or we would never have got there

I think it was called Ravenwave (or something similar) Raven was definitely the first part of it's name.

It was also lit with black light and everyone was wearing white. It looked like a rental dance floor in perfect condition (brand new?) and did have a strict socks only policy.

I remember this because it was my birthday and I was out and about with you and knowmad... good times! :P

i can remember the dance floor, and the vibe. i was just ready to dance when we left. Really want to go there this year.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby TomServo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am

Or, how bout several dozen kiddie pools, slightly filled with KY jelly?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby phil » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm

BBadger wrote:

I'd recommend Pledge over the baby oil. Imagine the baby oiled surface after awhile, or after a dust storm.

And Pledge makes your floors dangerously slick -- perfect for the playa.
phil

Postby Elliot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:57 pm

In 2007, there was a tarp dance floor across the street from us. One day when it rained a little, that tarp became so slick that some of us stripped and used it as a slip-n-slide, taking a run from the street. It was difficult to even just walk on it. Good times.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby edbrez » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm

I'll have to check out that camp, sounds very intriguing :)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=00c_1231171447
:lol:
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Postby brotherbear » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm

thanks for scratchin my back everyone! If i can il try to do linoleum with the pledge spray or tarp/billboard with pledge on playa. Id love to find the raven dance floor!
brotherbear

Camp Name: electric bear brigade

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks