Decoding the Org

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Decoding the Org

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:53 am

When I read Mr Harvey's blog post on tickets, I realized there may be a pattern at work in the mysterious workings of the org, self reliance by us.

Most data for 2012 points to self-scalping, excess purchases by BM participants, not commercial scalpers. In response, the org says, "business as usual, we'll get our revenues and you deal with your own issues".

If you read back through the sexual assault threads, the response is similar. "Not our problem, it's BED's problem".

LEO, ditto.

The org, especially in the twilight of its founders is very selective in taking on new issues, doesn't mean participants can't.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Decoding the Org

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 pm

It ain't Disneyland.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:11 pm

In fairness, that is in regard to identity based tracking, to keep tickets from being scalped. And that less than 1% of ticket sales is due to scalping.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gaminwench » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:04 pm

They actually are addressing the sexual assault issues;
last week they made B.E.D. an official staff organization.
This will allow for funding support,
it also opens the door for B.E.D. to work more closely with ESD.
B.E.D. was begun by participants as a result of experiences on the playa,
I think it appropriate that 'the system' acknowledge their good work and find ways to incorporate the B.E.D. message into the 'official' paperwork.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:53 pm

some seeing eye wrote:LEO, ditto.

{mod mode off}

They have Rangers trained as liaisons between the LEOs & Burners, to help deal with issues the Rangers can't deal with. They have meetings on-playa with the LEOs to deal with issues that arise (I believe daily, but I may be wrong about that). They use the survival guide & the BMan website to warn everyone to follow Federal & State laws. They can't control LEOs deciding to ticket everything to "prove" they need more money from the Org. They can just warn people not to give them an excuse.

What do you want - someone from the Org holding your damn hand & telling not to do something stupid in front of the LEOs that are blatantly everywhere?

{/mod mode on}
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes, every single day.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Box Burner » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:42 pm

I need a LEO as my personal bodyguard too. you never know what might happen.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby maladroit » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:57 pm

In 25 years, it will be a law-enforcement-only event. It'll be their yearly retreat to normalcy.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 am

Eric, yes there are daily meetings. If you fill out the law enforcement feedback form on playa (rangers should have 'em, you can also print it and fill out your own), give it to a ranger on playa and they'll review it with law enforcementat the next meeting. Good or bad is helpful.

As for BED, yeah they've recently been made a department, though that's been in the works for years (and they've gotten support from Burning Man over the last couple years).

I think it would be a mistake to jump to the conclusion that Burning Man is simply going hands-off or not putting a lot of energy into any new issues. One of the dangers of reading between the lines and second-guessing things is that, well, you're just reading between the lines and second-guessing things. I read Larry's post as an explanation as to why Burning Man is not going to do identity-based tickets. Nothing more, but it's an important point to make for many (a lot of people suggested name-on-ticket schemes). If you want to read anything into his post, it's that Burning Man is making an effort to do a better job communicating their decision-making on ticketing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby goathead » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 am

Eric wrote:

{mod mode off}

They have Rangers trained as liaisons between the LEOs & Burners, to help deal with issues the Rangers can't deal with. They have meetings on-playa with the LEOs to deal with issues that arise (I believe daily, but I may be wrong about that). They use the survival guide & the BMan website to warn everyone to follow Federal & State laws. They can't control LEOs deciding to ticket everything to "prove" they need more money from the Org. They can just warn people not to give them an excuse.

What do you want - someone from the Org holding your damn hand & telling not to do something stupid in front of the LEOs that are blatantly everywhere?

{/mod mode on}

Could we have TSA come out?
Haven't had a good groping for a while now?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 am

goathead wrote:
Eric wrote:

{mod mode off}

{/mod mode on}

Could we have TSA come out?
Haven't had a good groping for a while now?

Be careful what you wish for. BRC does have an airport and some wanker in Washington DC may decide 50,000 potential "threats" need screening. Ugh...
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby H.G.Crosby » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

some wanker in Washington DC may decide 50,000 potential "threats" need screening

you are either being very coy, or prescient...
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Return to Politics & Philosophy