The Bar, Volume #4

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar, Volume #4

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

canexplain wrote:Afternoon. My daughter just announced she is engaged (she was married before). I guess it's good news :D cr****

This calls for a drink!!
Of course around here, even changing a fuel filter with your pants calls for a drink..

But nevertheless,
Congratulations canexplain!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Dang, has anyone here gotten their flu shots???

oh HELL no...

thats why i dont get sick, duh...

that, and i really hate needles.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am

Canoe wrote:
Elliot wrote:... changed the frozen fuel filter on the side of the road by using my pants...

Thought we were about to get a "how I unfroze the filter" story...

Oh dear, I would never be so uncouth.
I thawed the filter by placing it behind me and lighting my farts.
Actually, I carried a couple of spare filters and drove on one while the other thawed on top of the heater in the cab. In those days, many of us carried half a truck parts store with us-- and used a goodly amount of it over the years. Now, they just "drop a dime" by cell phone or computer terminal.

Sorry, Gaminwench! I'll try to stop so we can get back to drinking.

Of course, I have some stories from riding motorcycles all year round in Norway -- hauling firewood in a sidecar....
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 am

I was going through old photos and found one from the time Simon and I had to spring GH from jail.

ah, memories.........

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am

Are we gonna see Goathead at all around here any more?

And what about Knowmad? Last I heard he was house-sitting somewhere over xmas.

*lifts a glass to absent friends*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Yep. My workplace pretty much requires it (or to sign a waiver saying it was offered to you and you refused).

No flu yet; knock wood.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Ah, flu... You heartless bastard!!!

No flu shot here, I tried to get one in the late fall - but the Saskatchewan Health Board pulled the entire vaccine batch due to contamination... It fell out of my brain until last week when my son was home sick. It is probably too late to worry about it this winter.

I have gotten them in the past. Is this something that people in the US need to pay for, or is it just given??

For those feeling sick - Give your body a chance to be sick, drink lots of fluids, keep warm & rest. (If the symptoms don't improve in a few days, for the love of the Man see a freaking Doctor!!!)

I am working on getting my SK SGI Class 1A drivers license (i'm waiting till the average temperature is above freezing before doing the class, I wish to do my drivers test on dry ground that is not covered in ice and frozen ruts). Having an extra skill or two never hurt anyone ;)

It is -8F (-22C) which works out to -27F (-33C) with the wind... Unfortunately it is overcast today so it seems cool to me. This too shall pass {smirk}

Keep safe everyone!!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Savannah wrote:

Yep. My workplace pretty much requires it (or to sign a waiver saying it was offered to you and you refused).

No flu yet; knock wood.

My job requires annual flu shots too, on a "prove it or be fired" basis, ha, I personally vaccinated >100 co-workers. CDC reports the vaccine this year is "moderately effective," so, about 30-40% of those vaccinated will get a mild case of the flu anyway. Mild to the immunized person at least :? who can still spread the deadly bug to other people. So if you have a fever, STAY THE FUCK HOME even if you don't feel that bad. Except for Ygmir, who should come to Reno no matter what. 8)

Okay hot whiskey drinks for everyone now, to kill all the germs. And to warm us up. Brrrrrrrrr, Rice! :shock:

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Meh, it is only cold out...

No floods, earthquakes, storm surges, hurricanes or other such bad naturey things here. I'll take a bit of cold ;)

At least there are no bugs!

That flu situation is pretty scary - seems to be hitting the US much harder than Canada. Maybe it is simply due to the population differences. (We have a lot less people spread over a greater area, maybe making it harder for the sicko's to spread their plague??)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Definitely flu shot every autumn. About 15 years ago I had a full-blown commercial-grade case of flu, and for several days I was truly not sure I would live. The hot and cold running fever chills can be nasty. Get the shot. I pay a token two dollars or some such at the local Senior Center, open to everyone. In and out in five minutes. I read recently that it is still not too late this year.

In the USA, currently there is no great shortage of over-the-road truck drivers, but there sure was a few years ago. And since then the qualification requirements have been tightened, so next time the economy swings upward there will probably be a considerable demand. Not that I recommend the lifestyle. But for just a couple of years it might be cool. You'd sure see a lot, and learn a lot, on several fronts -- from spectacular scenery and interesting new skills, to human nature at the underbelly of society.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Rice wrote:Ah, flu... You heartless bastard!!!

No flu shot here, I tried to get one in the late fall - but the Saskatchewan Health Board pulled the entire vaccine batch due to contamination... It fell out of my brain until last week when my son was home sick. It is probably too late to worry about it this winter.

I have gotten them in the past. Is this something that people in the US need to pay for, or is it just given??

It's usually free for those who work in health care, because they come in contact with so much illness and need to be able to come to work in the event of an epidemic, so institutions tend to mandate it for their employees and make it free.

Medicaire and some insurance plans and arrangements cover it free or cheap.

Otherwise, it's usually about $25.

Elliot wrote:Definitely flu shot every autumn. About 15 years ago I had a full-blown commercial-grade case of flu, and for several days I was truly not sure I would live. The hot and cold running fever chills can be nasty. Get the shot. I pay a token two dollars or some such at the local Senior Center, open to everyone. In and out in five minutes. I read recently that it is still not too late this year.

I don't think it's too late either.

I once got the flu in April a few years ago. It was might've been the worst flu I ever had as an adult.

Savannah

Postby Box Burner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

ygmir wrote:*shuffles in*
*ah coffee......thanks MDF

well, seems I'm holding my own....stuffy, but no sore throat, some cough, plugged ears, and tired.
I was trying to think of a way to put a turkey baster up my nose and really flushing out my sinus, but without popping my eyes out.......hahahaa I don't want to look like "the Captain" when him and Dan fought in "Deadwood".

*wraps in NEB, heads for IBBOD*

Don't let the doctor do it. He will use a really big needle and syringe. It works but it is painful. Have had it done a few times. Get some coloidal silver. It is the only thing that will kill a virus. Kills the infection too. Takes just as long as anti-biotics. I have been using it for about 15 years and find that it really works. Plus it is available over the counter. You will probably have to get it online though unless a local health food store carries it.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Box Burner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm

The last time I got the flu was on a year that I did get a flu shot. Don't get the shots anymore. Don't get the flue either.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Guess I'll get that flu shot from my Doctor, gotta see him anyhow..

I have heard of a few people getting the flu after getting the shot, but only a couple people. (could it be a coincidence?) :?
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Rice wrote:Guess I'll get that flu shot from my Doctor, gotta see him anyhow..

I have heard of a few people getting the flu after getting the shot, but only a couple people. (could it be a coincidence?) :?

Yes. The vaccine is crafted from dead virus, which can't make you sick. There are three main reasons you might get the flu (or the "flu") anyway:

* You can be infected before the vaccine has a chance to be effective (it's about 2 weeks before you have the full protective effect).
* You can get a strain of the flu that the vaccine does not protect against. (Scientists make the vaccine based off of the strain that appears to be most likely to afflict the the population).
* You can get a cold, which shares some of the symptoms of flu.

There can also be stiffness and pain at the injection site, which is annoying, and effects different people to different degrees.

I usually get that stiffness in my arm and above and below the injection site, but didn't this time.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Box Burner wrote:

well, seems I'm holding my own....stuffy, but no sore throat, some cough, plugged ears, and tired.
I was trying to think of a way to put a turkey baster up my nose and really flushing out my sinus, but without popping my eyes out.......hahahaa I don't want to look like "the Captain" when him and Dan fought in "Deadwood".

Do you have a neti pot? Those can be really helpful. When you are fully clogged, not so much, as the saline cannot get through, but as . . . preventative nose maintenance (heh) and when you are only partially stuffy, or have used a decongestant to help, it can really help clean you out the rest of the way.

I like the blue plastic neti pot that includes the little saline packets.

You have to clean it before every use, so you don't add insult to injury.

Savannah

Postby Sunbeam56 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Don't do i Yggie... I had the FULL flu. You don't want to brave it out and make everyone else sick.
This is not the opinion of someone who wants everyone else to be a wimp (like she is)... I did it all wrong. I'm offering you the slim bit of assistance I can.

I know you really want to go. And so does everyone else. If you are infectious, stay home. :(
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Box Burner wrote:

Don't let the doctor do it. He will use a really big needle and syringe. It works but it is painful. Have had it done a few times. Get some coloidal silver. It is the only thing that will kill a virus. Kills the infection too. Takes just as long as anti-biotics. I have been using it for about 15 years and find that it really works. Plus it is available over the counter. You will probably have to get it online though unless a local health food store carries it.

I make my own colloidal silver, BB. Have for years. and, one of the only provev ways it works is topically, so for sinus and cuts/burns it's good stuff. It's so easy to make, I don't see why anyone would buy it.

still dosing with stuff.

made "I'm sick soud/stew":
italian sausages dices,
beef shank
mixed frozen veggies,
tons of garlic, onion
oregano
parsley
sage
rosemary
thyme
brown rice
chicken broth
asperagus

I forgot to eat since yesterday, so was feeling a little weak today.....but a couple small bowls of that, has perked me right up!

now for some horseradish.

*rolls in NEB*

Puts up sign:

Virus'es
Unwelcome
Lacking
Virultent
Antibodies

grabs protectant for others and applies:

Masterfully
Omnipotent
Non
Selective

Virally
Exclusionary
Neutralizing
User
Screen
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm

My job offers free flu shots. I've been getting them each year whenever they were free. This year, no sore reaction to speak of. I think 25 bucks sounds about right if you go to any major chain drugstore with a pharmacy.
I work with so many sick folks who swear against the shot every year, plus the general public. I am so angry with people who think there is some virtue to coming to work and leaving because they are too sick. Stay the fuck home.
My soup for colds has lots of serrano chili, bell peppers, lime juice, chicken broth, chicken. I make a version of the thai tom ka gai , and it get the sinus's cleared. It's probably time to make some and freeze it.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Pass that bottle of whiskey, please, and if you can't figure out which one just pass them all:

I just submitted an art grant proposal.

*bangs forehead on bar*

I need this shirt now:

MyDearFriend

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Elorrum wrote:My job offers free flu shots. I've been getting them each year whenever they were free. This year, no sore reaction to speak of. I think 25 bucks sounds about right if you go to any major chain drugstore with a pharmacy.
I work with so many sick folks who swear against the shot every year, plus the general public. I am so angry with people who think there is some virtue to coming to work and leaving because they are too sick. Stay the fuck home.
My soup for colds has lots of serrano chili, bell peppers, lime juice, chicken broth, chicken. I make a version of the thai tom ka gai , and it get the sinus's cleared. It's probably time to make some and freeze it.

BRAVO! Common sense rules here. My job, too, offers free flu shots. I used to HATE puking my guts out with the dry heaves when I had flu. NO LONGER.

I had a sore throat from sleeping under the ceiling fan the other night, and I stayed home, simply because if it were strep throat, I didn't want to pass it around. Like MDF, I chose the wonderful restorative powers of a shot of Jack Daniels to kill the bugs (if there were any to begin with)

And your soup? I am SO stealing that. It'll go well along with the Hungarian chicken soup I make that has loads of black pepper and jalapeno chunks. I melt some muenster cheese into it and add chopped Italian bread, and it's a meal.

Of course, add bacon to taste.

COLDS BEGONE!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Design flu filter for Yg!

Everybody else, drink-a-lot to stave off infection! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:34 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Everybody else, drink-a-lot to stave off infection! 8)

Good advice. 8)

MyDearFriend

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Elorrum wrote:I make a version of the thai tom ka gai , and it get the sinus's cleared.

Drooling.

Won't you be mine? (I was talking to the soup!)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby graidawg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 pm

sometimes i wish i got ill so i could try some of these fantastic sounding remedies
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

I do feel like crap the day after the shot, but it is never the flu. I feel like crap after ANY shot.

I've had a cold for three weeks, still exhausted and my lungs are fucked up in the red air. I can't go outside for more than a couple minutes before I begin wheezing. That means no walking to the bus stop! I was pissed today, went out to get the trashcan, and I could smell a woodfire. They're illegal during red air days. I know, I want to have a fire sooo bad to warm the basement.

Anyway, drinking a ton of tea. I'd make chicken soup, but I don't have any chicken and I'm stuck at home. Going outdoors is like smoking!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm

AntiM wrote:I do feel like crap the day after the shot, but it is never the flu. I feel like crap after ANY shot.

I've had a cold for three weeks, still exhausted and my lungs are fucked up in the red air. I can't go outside for more than a couple minutes before I begin wheezing. That means no walking to the bus stop! I was pissed today, went out to get the trashcan, and I could smell a woodfire. They're illegal during red air days. I know, I want to have a fire sooo bad to warm the basement.

Anyway, drinking a ton of tea. I'd make chicken soup, but I don't have any chicken and I'm stuck at home. Going outdoors is like smoking!

Extended colds extra-specially suck!!! RRR (rest, relax, recover) <3

I had to look up "red air days" to figure out what they were... Yuk!

I guess there are advantages to living in the open prairies (and it being winter); we do get forest fire smoke in the summer .
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes. Free from work and I've got one every year I've been at that job.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Elorrum wrote:I am so angry with people who think there is some virtue to coming to work and leaving because they are too sick. Stay the fuck home.

Alas. I think it is the result of there not being mandatory paid sick days at many places of employ. Yet another way in which we are backwards.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elorrum wrote:I am so angry with people who think there is some virtue to coming to work and leaving because they are too sick. Stay the fuck home.

Alas. I think it is the result of there not being mandatory paid sick days at many places of employ. Yet another way in which we are backwards.

And if there are, they get frowned upon, or outright harassed if they use them.

Flu shots are not mandatory for med personal here; many nurses refuse to get them. There are so many out with the flu that they're cutting back services.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion