Help! (Another Birgin here)

Help! (Another Birgin here)

Postby Anahtziry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 am

Hello Burners!

I have decided to attend the Burn for the very first time this year...I live in New York, originate from Latin America, and have never camped in my life. I have been doing so much reading on Burning Man and as time passes the more excited I become about it. Although I am determined to make it there, I was hoping to find advice/support from other more experienced burners. I am likely going to be traveling cross-country by myself and this makes me nervous. I become more shook when I think of traveling from the airport to BRC, as I haven't even visited the East Coast.

I have taken some time to read heavily about the burn, but I still feel that making firsthand contact with someone would be much more helpful in easing the anxiety that I'm having as I prepare for this monumental (and far) trip. My immediate family thinks I am crazy for taking this trip on my own and hopefully someone can help convince me that it will be ok.

I am enthusiastic about participating, I am a decent cook, I clean, I speak Spanish, I like to think I am a great singer, I dance salsa, I have my tent and I am planning on shipping a cooler with food, sheets, pillows, water, etc. If there is anybody that is recruiting campers and think they can use any and all of my talents on their camp please let me know!

Much love burners!!! and I will make it there in 2013 even if its to prove to myself that this is possible!

Nervous/scared/excited Anahtziry :shock: :coffee:
"Be humble, for you are made of earth...Be noble, for you are made of stars"
Anahtziry

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Help! (Another Birgin here)

Postby Roark » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 am

Anahtziry wrote:Hello Burners!

I have decided to attend the Burn for the very first time this year...I live in New York, originate from Latin America, and have never camped in my life.

Welcome! I'm a Birgin too! So hopefully some of the other 'Vets will chime-in.

I wanted to throw a flag of warning about the highlighted part above. If you've never camped before, the desert really isn't the place to start. I grew-up in the desert, have hiked and camped solo, and can tell you it's a harsh mistress indeed. You might want to plan a few less-intense trips camping first, just so you know your equipment works and how to use it. Safer that way. And understand that shelter and shade and water are your priorities. After that, it's gravy.

Of course, we could also make the argument that with 50,000 of your newest and closest friends surrounding you, it's pretty hard to get in any real trouble if you're vocal about needing help. :mrgreen:

Welcome, and good luck!
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 am

Welcome!

This sounds oh so familiar... Especially since I know a a virgin from Long Island that is currently planning on making it out this year for her virgin burn. Keep reading and prepping, you'll be fine... probably.

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

Welcome!!!
There is no need to ship food or water ahead of you. There is virtually every store you can think of along the way and in Reno. What I have done is make lists of the foods I want to buy, then just punch out the list once I get there.

My first trip to BRC was my first time camping as well. I got there after dark in a massive wind storm. I had lots of people who came to my aid and helped me set up the tent etc.

There is lots to learn by reading and searching here. Feel free to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for.

Sham....
Sham

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Introduce Yourself board, since that's a better fit.

Welcome to ePlaya! Don't worry, you have plenty of time to do the required reading (Survival Guide, First Timer's Guide), figure out answers to all your questions (the boards are already full of great info, and if you don't find what you're looking for - ask), and plan your adventure.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Why not start camping NOW, or when the weather gets more friendly? Go to a local park where you can do car camping, just to get a little experience? Granted, it isn't playa camping, but it could be a start.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Anahtziry wrote:Hello Burners!

I have decided to attend the Burn for the very first time this year...I live in New York, originate from Latin America, and have never camped in my life. I have been doing so much reading on Burning Man and as time passes the more excited I become about it. Although I am determined to make it there, I was hoping to find advice/support from other more experienced burners. I am likely going to be traveling cross-country by myself and this makes me nervous. I become more shook when I think of traveling from the airport to BRC, as I haven't even visited the East Coast.

I have taken some time to read heavily about the burn, but I still feel that making firsthand contact with someone would be much more helpful in easing the anxiety that I'm having as I prepare for this monumental (and far) trip. My immediate family thinks I am crazy for taking this trip on my own and hopefully someone can help convince me that it will be ok.

I am enthusiastic about participating, I am a decent cook, I clean, I speak Spanish, I like to think I am a great singer, I dance salsa, I have my tent and I am planning on shipping a cooler with food, sheets, pillows, water, etc. If there is anybody that is recruiting campers and think they can use any and all of my talents on their camp please let me know!

Much love burners!!! and I will make it there in 2013 even if its to prove to myself that this is possible!

Nervous/scared/excited Anahtziry :shock: :coffee:

Hey Anahtziry! :D

So, have you put that tent up before? Start there. You'll feel better once you're confident putting it up. You'll also be able to notice if there's much mesh (which you'll need to cover against the superfine dust) and if there are any components missing, and how long the stakes are. Odds are, the stakes included by the manufacturer are a little short for windy conditions. (You'll want 9"-10" stakes for a nylon tent, rebar twice that long for a canvas tent. Luckily, you can get these separately). If you're an apartment dweller like me, borrow a friend's backyard or head to the park. Imagine that you may be putting your tent up in the dark, when you're tired, after waiting a few hours to get in. This will remind you to buy a headlamp or a flashlight with a wide beam. :) When you take your tent down, count the pieces when you put them back in the bag.

Like Shambala said, don't ship food or water (or even pillows). Those are readily available in Reno. Just make a really wonderful shopping list. One good strategy is to fly into Reno the weekend before the Burn if you can, sleep at a hotel, then shop and drive out . . . 'cause Reno's only 2 hours from the Burn (on a good day) but there is also 3-5 hours wait in line. Shopping might take longer than you anticipate . . . after which driving and waiting and finding your camp = exhausting.

You can join a camp here (among other places) although there will be more to choose from in a month or two.

2013 Theme Camps
viewforum.php?f=323

Search out a camp proactively, as they will not (usually) come looking for you. That's just how it is . . .

Let your family think you're crazy. Whatevs. You already probably know more about the event than I did my first year.

Oh, yeah. Meet some local Burners ASAP. It's one of the best things you can do.
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ny.html
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby graidawg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 pm

DON'T PANIC

Best advice. ok panic a little its more fun that way
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

graidawg wrote:DON'T PANIC

Best advice. ok panic a little its more fun that way

PANIC LIGHTLY AND BRIEFLY
Savannah

Postby Anahtziry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

9ah wrote:Welcome!

This sounds oh so familiar... Especially since I know a a virgin from Long Island that is currently planning on making it out this year for her virgin burn. Keep reading and prepping, you'll be fine... probably.

What a coincidence!! Does she look like the girl in my picture?? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Anahtziry

Postby Anahtziry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!..This information is beyond helpful, I will start camping in my backyard this weekend :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Anahtziry

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 pm

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I knew it was you biatch!
9ah

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Awesome. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Which tent did you end up going with? You can also have the rebar that I was gonna give away... The lady ever hit me back up to get it from me. I assume you will want it.

And get the water/food in Reno.. lol.. Did you get an air mattress? I have to see pix of you camped in the yard esp. since it might snow this wknd!

9ah

Postby Anahtziry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

what I got is a FREE tent! LOL...My coworker has a brand new one that she never used and she wanted to give it away...I have not seen it yet...the only thing is that it fits six people so its bigger than I need...and yes I will take the rebar!

I want to rent a car whether I fly into Sacramento or Reno, just so I am sure to have the flexibility of being able to stop and buy stuff and I wont miss my flight on the way back...Anyone planning their arrival on that Wednesday afternoon and looking for a ride from either of these locations?
Anahtziry

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

K loca... make sure you patch up any mesh... I'll put aside my fabric for you as well... You owe me a date with my L-face.

You can post about rideshares a little later, once people start firming up their travel plans. Make sure you go to a car wash that will clean the car to pass inspections upon return. I think they run around 60-75 in Reno.
9ah

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm

As was said already, practice camping, back yard is a good start but you should go to a campsite or something of the sort and try so you have the likely hood of forgetting something. Setting up your tent while tired and in the dark is a good test because that's the most likely time you'll be setting yours up. Even when you get to camp at noon there's usually so much to do that you don't think about your tent till you want to sleep. Depending on how you do with heat and what part of the day you plan on sleeping you might want to look into shade structures.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Why doesn't he just book a room at the hotel behind Center Camp?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm

who, me?
9ah

Postby Anahtziry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 am

Thank you my dear!....This makes alot more sense!

9ah wrote:
You can post about rideshares a little later, once people start firming up their travel plans. Make sure you go to a car wash that will clean the car to pass inspections upon return. I think they run around 60-75 in Reno.
Anahtziry

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 am

Make sure to ask for a suite on the top level

Dr. Pyro wrote:Why doesn't he just book a room at the hotel behind Center Camp?
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 am

winebuff, you didnt read the fine print in JRS...? The top level is reserved for LIT holders that couldn't get RV rentals. :coffee:
9ah

Postby TomServo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Welcome Anahtziry! Practice setting up your tent, practice showering with a watering can ( in your shower), practice cooking on a camp stove! Even if you find a good camp, these are important skills to have. Read the Survival Guide! And get familiar with the symptoms of heat exhaustion and dehydration!! Most important is SHADE, a comfy chair and making yourself as comfortable as possible! Stay in your camp during the day, go out in the evening, when the weather is nicest. A $1 spray bottle will keep you cool all day, as long as you have water to fill it. You will have neighbors, that will help you out! But, don't plan on it! As far as your drive up, drive when it's light out. Don't get angry on 447! Its a dangerous road, that isn't compatible with rash decisions! You have an entire city who is willing to help you out, if your planning falls through. But plan your own trip! Everyone makes mistakes! And the playa is usually where it happens. So rest assured, we were all virgins once! Best of Luck!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Hey Anahtziry, Welcome to EPlaya!

There is a lot of great information in this thread!
Tom makes some great suggestions about practicing with your gear.

I'd suggest that your first year, you keep everything as simple as possible. Especially if you're not an experienced camper.

Good luck!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jkisha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Milayna » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Welcome Anahtziry!! Don't worry, you can do this! Last year was my virgin year and I went all by myself, not knowing a soul, but I quickly made several friends :) Like everyone else said just make sure you are confident with your supplies: tent, water, food. I will tell you right now that in that first hour by myself setting up my camp I was REALLY scared. Push through the initial panic and you will have the best week of your life! :D
Milayna

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 pm

9ah wrote:Welcome!

Or maybe have an epic failure that just borders on permanent damage, as long as it's funny later and makes a good story.

"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:03 pm

I agree with everyone else.

From LIC it's not a huge deal to go camp in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Connecticut so you can learn how your tent works, what it's like to sleep in it. You can figure out all of the "camping" stuff and to be aware of your surroundings. For example, the bathroom isn't just down the hall or in a Starbucks.

Black Rock CIty is unlike any other camping in that you're in a very urban setting that is also very, very remote and harsh. It's a strange mix.

The air is very dry, which keeps your skin dry. You may not realize how much you're sweating until you sit in a camp chair and your back is soaked almost immediately. The dust is mildly caustic and a strong desiccant, add the altitude and brutal sun and it can really fuck with you.

Shade and water are your best friends, as previously noted. You won't feel very hungry on the playa and that's OK, but you NEED to drink much more than you think you do. Heed the tongue in cheek advice "piss clear," drink enough non-caffeineated, non-alcololic beverages so you pee often and clear. It's bordering on TMI, but it's very important. Dehydration can lead to a host of medical problems in addition to sapping a good mood and energy away.

Take it easy during the day, go crazy at night.

If you can, find two shade structures (sturdy ones you can FIRMLY stake down with 10" nails or rebar -- stake down everything.), one for over your tent to make it cooler and one for a common area or somewhere you plan to be that isn't your tent. The greenhouse effect from a typical tent can make for a miserable daytime nap.

There are loads of burners from New York City who can share a wealth of information. Maybe you can find some to share the trip there and/or back and maybe camp with.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 am

Hello and welcome! I had tickets to go last year but couldn't make it, so this will also be my first year. I am a very obsessive person, so I think I may have read every single word about BM on the internet (which Al Gore did in fact invent), but as with everything, there's nothing like the actual experience.

Here are my few notes, for what they'r worth:

-As someone said, at the very least practice setting up and taking down your tent, multiple times. Once you arrive to the Playa (or anywhere you're camping) you're going to have a lot going on and the last thing you want to do is get stuck trying to read tent assembly instructions while the wind blows and all you want to do is sleep or run around and take it all in.

-Do NOT arrive in the dark. This applies for all types of camping, but especially for this. I often times don't listen to my own advice here, but it is pretty sucky to set up camp when it's dark, even if you know exactly what you're doing. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, imagine trying to do it all in the dark. No fun!

-Also, it's not fun to arrive in the dark because you'll have no clue where you are or where you're going. I suppose this could work out if you just randomly plop down somewhere, but I prefer a tad bit more strategy, at least in terms of setting up camp.

-Driving cross country by yourself sucks. At least in my mind. If I had someone with me, it could be fun, or at the very least, suck less. That said, if I had never been, and I knew what was waiting for me at my destination, I'd probably be able to maintain a good attitude.

-In terms of what to pack, lighter is just about always better for any type of travel. As long as you have water, shade, personal items (sunscreen, hat, shoes, whatever you NEED to feel comfortable) then you're good.

-For getting to BRC from Reno, I've never done it, but there are driving instructions on the BM website. I believe there are vans from the airport. YOu could find the vans and follow one. Or find someone on here who is willing to meet up with you.

-The majority of my camp is coming from NYC, or at least quite a few of them are. You seem like a very social person so, if you feel comfortable doing it, my campmates are hosting a fundraiser this Friday in NYC. It's from 10pm-4am. The DJs are part of the camp. They're raising money to fund the various expenses (travel, storage, building the camp, etc.). If you're interested, I could put you in touch with them through our Facebook page (FAcebook for Burning Man just sounds wrong...but it's a good way to stay connected).

-You may even be able to hitch a ride with them to BM and join the camp. I'm getting ahead of myself, but it's all about helping each other out.

Anyway, wish you the best. There's a good deal of info on hear and a wealth of knowledge fro mall these kind people. TAke advantage of them. I mean of it.

Peace
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 am

Oh, sorry. By traveling cross country I thought you meant driving. Whew, I didnt' want to say it, but that would have really sucked by yourself :) For flying you should have no problems. As people have said, there's rideshare info on here as the date approaches. I think there's also a van from the airport. And there are good directions on the website.

In addition to the tent, also practice the stove, and anything else you are unfamiliar with.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!