Art Project help - guywires

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Art Project help - guywires

Postby Ninja Nemo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm working on an art project, the main structure of which will be a 30' open air square. The square will be formed by fabric hanging from guy-wires running between each of the four corners which will be 8' tall poles. There will likely be an extra pole or two between each 30' span for support.

Regarding the guy wires, I'm planning for them to support both the load of the fabric and to hold the shape of the structure. My issue is, I'm not sure how to anchor / secure the guywires to the poles themselves, and then to the ground so that they provide sufficient support for the structure (esp considering that the fabric will probably catch some wind). I'm thinking that two guywires will meet at each corner (one per side), and then be joined by a single cable which will run diagonally down to a stake. Does that sound like it would support the load from all directions (given proper gauge wire)? I know its hard to imagine without a picture so I'll post one up once I can sketch it out.

Thanks for any help / advice you might have.
Ninja Nemo

Re: Art Project help - guywires

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since the Preparation board is a better fit for general project questions. The 2013 event boards are a better spot to announce your project/camp/vehicle. You may also want to look around the Shelter & Camping board, since there may be some info in one of the structure/shelter threads that helps you with your project. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm

(Couch) Bob is an expert in these type structures. I rig shade cloth similarly, 25x25. I have not found the diagonal guy to work alone. 2 guys per corner in line with your main cables would be a better solution. Long eyebolts through your poles is a strong solution. I'm not an expert on earth anchors. A more rigid structure made from shade house fittings and chain link fence pipe is another solution which should span 15' holding your drapes and would give a perfectly straight top line.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm

If Bob shows up. He hasn't been around for a while.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ninja Nemo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks some seeing eye. Re: the eyebolts, do you have 4 eyebolts per pole for your shade cloth rigging (2 for the structure, 2 for the guywires)? I was planning to use eyebolts for the cable running between each pole but was concerned that adding two more eyebolts for the guywires would have a negative effect on the integrity of the pole.
Ninja Nemo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I think a total of 4 per pole would be fine. I would use eyebolts not screw eyes. I'm assuming you are using something like 4x4's sunk in the ground.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby Ninja Nemo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am

Ahhh, I'm actually planning to use steel poles instead, hence my concerns regarding the holes. I think I'd have some significant issues getting 4x4's into the playa without heavy equipment. I'll have to look around for past project with a similar design and see how they handled the issue.
Ninja Nemo

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 pm

T-Posts? Not as thick as a 4x4, but just as strong. We broke a 4x4, using it as leverage, to pull a T-post. Pullers and jacks are cheap! So are post pounders
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Check your PM NN! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Oldguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Ask a farmer or county agriculture agent about stringing, pulling, and anchoring wire fencing; corner bracing and fence stretching too.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 am

T stakes with cyclone fence top rails as posts. Then you can use cyclone fence hardware to attach guy wires. 2 guy wires per post. Look at photos of center camp structure for cabling ideas.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Ninja Nemo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone. What's the fascination with T stakes? I see them mentioned in multiple threads re: rigging art projects, typically with U bolts. What type of benefit does it provide me versus rebar pounded 1' in and a 4x4 or chain link / cyclone fence post atop said rebar? They both seem to need guy lines (and I'll need them regardless) but I've never used T-stakes so I'm curious.
Ninja Nemo

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks