A northern california hello!

A northern california hello!

Postby TeresaEve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi there. My name is Teresa, but I like Jasmin better. I'm from Northern California. I like pretty things, i like burning man. I'm a mixed race woman about to hit my quarter century mark... burning man has been absolutely instrumental in my growth.. I'm looking to connect with folks of color out on the playa this year..also looking for opportunities to dance and model- forgive me if this is not the right place to be posting my desires, i'll figure out this message board forum internet computer thing eventually ;)

cheers!

Jasmin
Last edited by TeresaEve on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeresaEve

Burning Since: 2010

Re: dancer/model looking to cnnct with folks of color and mo

Postby Roark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm

TeresaEve wrote:HI! I am a 25 yr old mixed race female from northern california. To put it simply, I need more black brown yellow red and green folk out there with me on the playa. where ya'll at?! I have been looking for an African heritage theme camp, or any kind of minority based theme camp, but haven't found anything yet. Can anybody help me out? Theme camp registration is about up I believe, but does anybody want to talk about getting something colorful going? 2014 even.

On another note- I am a model/dancer looking to collaborate my musings on some tasty art, and dance for hours on your stage/structure if you'd like it ;)
agency represented west african freckled french irish chick with afro.. for all intents and purposes.

you can email me at tekabba@yahoo.com

all thanks :)

Jasmin

Darlin, I am a white(ish), 40-something (oh for Pete's sake just go with it!), Nerdian wunderkin with a terminally bad attitude, flat feet, trifocals, and a mostly under control case of PTSD from dating redheads years ago. I carve Spam as a hobby, enjoy quiet nights with my draft horse, and can fart the first 3m 20s of "Freebird" using only my armpits and a warm beer.

So. Can we be friends? :mrgreen: Or do I need a tutu...

BTW: Welcome!
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Roark wrote:
TeresaEve wrote:HI! I am a 25 yr old mixed race female from northern california. To put it simply, I need more black brown yellow red and green folk out there with me on the playa. where ya'll at?! I have been looking for an African heritage theme camp, or any kind of minority based theme camp, but haven't found anything yet. Can anybody help me out? Theme camp registration is about up I believe, but does anybody want to talk about getting something colorful going? 2014 even.

On another note- I am a model/dancer looking to collaborate my musings on some tasty art, and dance for hours on your stage/structure if you'd like it ;)
agency represented west african freckled french irish chick with afro.. for all intents and purposes.

you can email me at tekabba@yahoo.com

all thanks :)

Jasmin

Darlin, I am a white(ish), 40-something (oh for Pete's sake just go with it!), Nerdian wunderkin with a terminally bad attitude, flat feet, trifocals, and a mostly under control case of PTSD from dating redheads years ago. I carve Spam as a hobby, enjoy quiet nights with my draft horse, and can fart the first 3m 20s of "Freebird" using only my armpits and a warm beer.

So. Can we be friends? :mrgreen: Or do I need a tutu...

BTW: Welcome!

so eloquent.

I'm starting to like this one..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey Jasmin! I'm multi-racial too. People of color on the playa tend to be underrepresented for (for cultural and socioeconomic reasons, not exclusionary ones--in my experience, anyway).

I don't know of a minority-based theme camp; in my experience the closest precedence are camps celebrating certain places on the map. Kind of a nice idea, because it's more inclusive, and Radical Inclusion is one of the 10 Burn principles.

Have you been to the Burn before? It's hard to tell from your post.

If you decide to start a camp yourself, you can post here in 2013 Theme Camps (and check out "How to Start a Theme Camp"):
viewforum.php?f=323

You can look to collaborate artistically below. Closer to the Burn there will be threads called "Artists Looking for Stages" and "Stages Looking for Artists" in this forum.

2013 Art & Performance
viewforum.php?f=321

Welcome to the board . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re: A northern california hello!

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Hey Jasmin! I've heard the discussions about a lack of color in the burning man community. After a week, it's true! We are ALL white! But, you might check out Roller Disco. They're the most thoroughly mixed camp I've seen on the playa. And they're a great group of people! Best of Luck!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

TomServo wrote:Hey Jasmin! I've heard the discussions about a lack of color in the burning man community. After a week, it's true! We are ALL white! But, you might check out Roller Disco. They're the most thoroughly mixed camp I've seen on the playa. And they're a great group of people! Best of Luck!

Hey, that's cool to know, TomServo.

Savannah

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Savannah wrote:
TomServo wrote:Hey Jasmin! I've heard the discussions about a lack of color in the burning man community. After a week, it's true! We are ALL white! But, you might check out Roller Disco. They're the most thoroughly mixed camp I've seen on the playa. And they're a great group of people! Best of Luck!

They're a family, both on and off the playa. I kinda feel like the bastard Punk son, especially after my meltdown in 2007(?) (Ygmir may recall the beginning of that one). But they still treat me like family.

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

TomServo wrote:
Savannah wrote:

They're a family, both on and off the playa. I kinda feel like the bastard Punk son, especially after my meltdown in 2007(?) (Ygmir may recall the beginning of that one). But they still treat me like family.

yes, Tom, and it's when I first began to respect and like you.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks Ygmir! That was a tough night. You missed me, punching the shit out of that solid wood bar.

Don't Steal other burner's stuff people! Especially $80 bottles of Absynth and cartons of cigarettes!

TomServo

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:46 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TeresaEve » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 pm

HI! Thank you for the warm welcome! Excuse the lag in response time, might be hard to believe but internet is hard for me to come by these days.

Thank you for your links Savannah! This year will be my third burn. As far as geographical camps versus culture camps, I think they're all a great idea. But I want to say that a camp based on culture doesn't have to create any exclusions. It can simply be a place where people sharing heritage come together to celebrate that culture, and share it with others. It can be a very inclusive and educational experience for many curious minds. To me Burning Man is about embracing culture and diversity in whatever form it may come. We are all family out there, and wanting to emphasize something you find beautiful about yourself, and share it with others, should not have to create any divides :)

ROLLER DISCO! A little birdy pointed me to RollerDisco in the last couple of days, thank you Tom for re affirming that!!

roar roark, I feel like I know you so well already ;)
TeresaEve

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 am

TeresaEve wrote:HI! Thank you for the warm welcome! Excuse the lag in response time, might be hard to believe but internet is hard for me to come by these days.

Thank you for your links Savannah! This year will be my third burn. As far as geographical camps versus culture camps, I think they're all a great idea. But I want to say that a camp based on culture doesn't have to create any exclusions. It can simply be a place where people sharing heritage come together to celebrate that culture, and share it with others. It can be a very inclusive and educational experience for many curious minds. To me Burning Man is about embracing culture and diversity in whatever form it may come. We are all family out there, and wanting to emphasize something you find beautiful about yourself, and share it with others, should not have to create any divides :)

That's quite true, and since you confirm you've attended before, I think you have a better shot at it.

(If you hadn't been, a lack of familiarity with the culture as it currently is would--in my opinion--make it more difficult.)

Savannah

Return to Introduce Yourself!