Fake Rangers - Health and Safety Risk

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Fake Rangers - Health and Safety Risk

Postby sweetn8 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm

After comparing stories with other Burners who have had issues with "Fake Rangers" (people dressed similarly to Rangers, but who give out wrong information and/or harass random Burners) I am curious as to what the official Burning Man position is on this.

When you have people getting wrong information for medical emergencies, it goes beyond "not getting the spirit of the event". Radical Inclusion? Let everyone participate? Okay, but what about communal effort? Where is the civic responsibility? Is this the kind of participation we should emulate? Is this making Black Rock City a better place?
sweetn8

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Fake Rangers - Health and Safety Risk

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Hello new poster.

Do you have any specifics beyond "comparing stories" for this? Especially about the medical emergency part?

I've been going since '03, I've worked for a very popular paper out there, and we have contacts with lots of departments - while I've heard of people dressed "like rangers" (how hard is khaki to pull together?), I've never heard of a incident where someone gave false information in a medical emergency - doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but you need to put up a little more than vague references to "stories".
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Eric: Since I've never been to BM (YET! heheheh), a serious question for you or anyone who isn't a comlete 'Noob like me: Do the Black Rock Rangers carry or display any type of an "official" credential? In other words, assuming this is even a problem, is there an instant way to tell?

Or is this really just one of those "out there" issues that don't need "fixing"?
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Black Rock Rangers have laminates. They don't necessarily show them to you, but I suppose if you asked. (They are worn around the neck anyway, as far as I remember). If they are on duty one of the pair, at least one of the pair, will carry a radio.

Luckily radio and laminate technology has not found it's way into the hands of the spoofers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Also luckily, nobody has ever sold Ranger shirts on Ebay, either.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

sweetn8 wrote:After comparing stories with other Burners who have had issues with "Fake Rangers" (people dressed similarly to Rangers, but who give out wrong information and/or harass random Burners) I am curious as to what the official Burning Man position is on this.

When you have people getting wrong information for medical emergencies, it goes beyond "not getting the spirit of the event". Radical Inclusion? Let everyone participate? Okay, but what about communal effort? Where is the civic responsibility? Is this the kind of participation we should emulate? Is this making Black Rock City a better place?

If you have had issues with Rangers, or are not sure as to whether the people you were encountered were Rangers (or just random jerks in khaki) you should visit the Ranger website, ask questions, and give your feedback. The same goes for anyone else with concerns about Rangers. Genuine Rangers know exactly where Emergency Services locations are.

http://rangers.burningman.com/

There is contact information on the site.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Canoe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Roark wrote:... Do the Black Rock Rangers carry or display any type of an "official" credential?...

Yes.
But you have to lift the utilikilt to see it.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Canoe wrote:
Roark wrote:... Do the Black Rock Rangers carry or display any type of an "official" credential?...

Yes.

Nope, that's DPW again. And if they find out you confused them with Rangers, your days on this playa are numbered.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Canoe wrote:

Yes.

Nope, that's DPW again. And if they find out you confused them with Rangers, your days on this playa are numbered.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'd have felt really stupid finding out I'd joined the Rangers for the wrong reason.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Moving this over to Experiences At Burning Man, since that's a better fit. If you want to raise the issue with representatives of the Black Rock Rangers or the staff at Burning Man, please visit the appropriate page on the main site and contact the department directly.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:50 pm

A few years ago, maybe 2006, there was a group of street performers who dressed up similar to BRC Rangers and accosted people with some sort of harassing stunt. I remember feeling confused and uncomfortable until I finally realized it was "performance art".

As in most U.S. jurisdictions, BM has a rule against Mutant Vehicles resembling emergency vehicles. I don't know if we have a rule against "impersonating an officer" as it is usually called, but I would be in favor of it. The work that Rangers and law enforcement do is too important to fart around with -- "crying wolf" and all that.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby 9ah » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 am

Never seen it happen... I know people set up shop at Playa Info at night and give out misinformation (unless it's a genuine emergency... Not a lost hat, more like an injured person or missing kid).... I mean if you don't bother to look up the PI hours of operation what do you expect....

I'm hoping folks that give out misinformation don't do it in real life safety issues.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby The CO » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 am

I've been mistaken for a ranger multiple times, once by an actual ranger. 2012 was the first time in 6 years that it didn't occur.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

There are undercover Rangers, and they will administer playa corrections on False Rangers.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm

You make it sound so kinky, Dougly.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby JaronK » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Real rangers have clothing that actually says "Black Rock Ranger" on it and have laminates (which are on their necks). They've also got official event radios. Fake ones have names like "Black Rock Strangers" or "Black Cock Rangers" and don't have laminates or radios.

As for safety... well, the Black Cock Rangers stopped doing it because they started getting real emergency calls and realized they couldn't handle those. So it's an issue. But as long as the person is clearly joking, it's not against any rule to be a fake ranger. It's probably not a very good idea though.
JaronK

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Foxy Kokonaut

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Plenty of people wear khaki shirts, shorts and boonie caps. When they offer advice (or whatever), most sparkle ponies don't look for a Ranger Badge.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Return to Experiences at Burning Man