Opulent Temple 2013

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Opulent Temple 2013

Postby One-Eye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Yo

I saw on opulent temple's website that they won't be returning to the burn in 2013. I'm just curious as to why - OT rocks and will be missed in my book!
One-Eye

Re: Opulent Temple 2013

Postby Mr. Just Right » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 pm

On one of their earlier news entries, sounds like they just want a much needed break. Sure its probably tiring doing such a big production for 10 years.
Oh well, I was looking forward to hitting more smaller music performances this year.
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
Mr. Just Right

Burning Since: 2011

Postby MrBeardy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Bummer that they won't be back this year, but it certainly won't change things mucha s there are plenty of other options and I'm sure theat many of the OT crew/artists will be looking for other ways to help out! Great works last year to the entire crew! Let's bring the Temple of Boom back! Seems like the perfect year to do it!
MrBeardy

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm

The best place to ask them is on their Facebook page. But from what I understand, they made it clear before the 2012 burn that they'd be taking at least one year off from Burning Man.

As for MrBeardy's comment about the Temple Of Boom, I couldn't disagree more. My personal opinion, ban the fuckers for life, SHAME on them for the black spot they left on the playa in 2011. That's to say nothing of the uninspired lighting truss/pile of speakers stage design and the ultra-jerk move of only allowing people they felt were hot enough to dance on the stage. As a proponent of big sound camps it takes a lot to get me to oppose anybody who invests the time and resources to bring big sound into the desert, but they've done it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby 9ah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:41 pm

As a point of information... Can you note where Temple of Boom was in 2011? I don't recall wandering in.. Then again I prefer wanderings round... I'm sure I'll get an addy here faster than it'll take me t dig up my '11 map/guide.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm

9ah wrote:As a point of information... Can you note where Temple of Boom was in 2011? I don't recall wandering in.. Then again I prefer wanderings round... I'm sure I'll get an addy here faster than it'll take me t dig up my '11 map/guide.

2:00 I believe
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby 9ah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah... i ran to find the guide, but the map was missing.. Meaning it's buried in my chest of papers.... Didn't make it to anything on 2 or 10 and Esplanade. :coffee:
9ah

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm

They were at the 10:00 & Esplanade corner in 2011, and solely responsible for the massive black spot. Quite possibly the worst that any sound installation has rated.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:08 pm

*SNAP*!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby maladroit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Just to document this properly in the thread (but actually to avoid me having to search for the info, and also adding some local flavor to the retelling), what sort of things earn you a black spot? Raw sewage? Burned-out cars? Actual, dead, bodies?
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby 9ah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Ouch... That does look really bad.

Maladroit.. I think you can include camps that people have left, rugs, couches, bags of garbage to earn a deep red, if not black spot. Can't say what the minimum requirement to earn black is though....

Looked like 2011 was the year the temple was marked on a MOOP map. Anyone know if there was a specific reason in 2011?
9ah

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm

9ah wrote:Ouch... That does look really bad.

Maladroit.. I think you can include camps that people have left, rugs, couches, bags of garbage to earn a deep red, if not black spot. Can't say what the minimum requirement to earn black is though....

Looked like 2011 was the year the temple was marked on a MOOP map. Anyone know if there was a specific reason in 2011?

Yep . . . 2011 Moop Map info:

. . . Center Camp gets greener and greener, while the Temple is traditionally one of the MOOPiest areas.

What’s the difference? It all comes down to the LNT plan. Representatives from the Temple crew came out to help Restoration workers clean their site, but ultimately they just didn’t have the resources and people to manage all the MOOP themselves.

http://blog.burningman.com/2011/10/tenp ... -all-done/

Not enough manpower. And I'm guessing that in general it's a challenge because of the high traffic to the site, and the playa-protective gravel, and maybe even all the little things left at the Temple contribute to making things difficult.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MrBeardy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 am

[quote="trilobyte"]They were at the 10:00 & Esplanade corner in 2011, and solely responsible for the massive black spot. Quite possibly the worst that any sound installation has rated.

[img]http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/MOOP-MAP-2011-DAY-NINE-482x435.gif[/img][/quote]

Whoa didn't realize that little bit of info...that's a shame. I mean I guess we are all partially at fault as we are a community and work together to make the whole place better, but at the same time we are all a little bit more responsible for our own little areas a little more. Regardless the OT will undoubtedly live vicariously through each one of us. Sorry to pull this off topic with the mention of TOB, and again great work OT for the 10 years so far...looking forward to getting the groove back soon!
MrBeardy

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:43 am

I roamed around after the Temple burn and stuffed a duffel bag full of moop during my hazy adventures. That reminds me...I have absolutely NO idea what's actually in there now, and should probably open it.
maladroit

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 pm

People are welcome (and encouraged) to pick stuff up wherever you find it, or at any camp or art installation you frequent, but ultimately the MOOP responsibility lies with the people who brought something to that space (camps, artists, mutant vehicle throwing it down in deep playa, etc).

For the sake of clarification (since the thread's about Opulent Temple, and I'd hate for anyone to confuse them with Rites Of Zion/Temple Of Boom's poor performance in 2011), Opulent Temple did a much better job. Here's a look at the 2012 MOOP Map, OT was located at 10:00 & Esplanade.

Yep, they got some red in there. But I think that's significantly less red than they've ever had, and a pretty small amount considering the size of their space and how many people were in that space every night of the event. When they return at some point I expect they'll continue to improve.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 am

As a first timer last year, I thought Opulent Temple was simply awesome and was the sort of thing I had hoped to experience at Burning Man. For me personally, I can't imagine wanting to take a year off from BM but then again I haven't been going for a decade straight...
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Postby MrBeardy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 pm

[quote="AdamOfTheRedEarth"]As a first timer last year, I thought Opulent Temple was simply awesome and was the sort of thing I had hoped to experience at Burning Man. For me personally, I can't imagine wanting to take a year off from BM but then again I haven't been going for a decade straight...[/quote]

I say they sack up, stop being pussies and come back this year bigger than ever! JK, I understand their need for a break...kinda....
MrBeardy

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm

I say the two of you stop being whiney little bitches, build it and bring it yourself if you want it so bad. JK and all that (saying JK in the post makes it okay to be a jerk, right?), but sheesh, try to be the people who are thankful for the gifts they received instead of the crybabies who want other people to keep giving them more. :roll:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Heard around that a lot of OT's crew will be with another NEW sound camp plus some will mesh in with other camps that have been around a while. There will still be amazing beats from top notch camps.

Now, since i have read about MOOP and rave camps, PLEASE feel free to help MOOPing around any sound camp, mobile sound camps and art spaces. There is NEVER enough help to clean these spots !! Most of the time, you can ask for a trash bag from the rave camp and they will haul it off. How's that for service :D
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

dj_john69 wrote:Heard around that a lot of OT's crew will be with another NEW sound camp plus some will mesh in with other camps that have been around a while. There will still be amazing beats from top notch camps.

Now, since i have read about MOOP and rave camps, PLEASE feel free to help MOOPing around any sound camp, mobile sound camps and art spaces. There is NEVER enough help to clean these spots !! Most of the time, you can ask for a trash bag from the rave camp and they will haul it off. How's that for service :D

lemme guess, i bet it will be big, and sexy...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby dj_john69 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Nope, is that still being built ?? lol
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm

exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcelllllllllllllllllllllentttttttttttttttttttttt....

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby DaneshaV » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 am

[quote="trilobyte"]They were at the 10:00 & Esplanade corner in 2011, and solely responsible for the massive black spot. Quite possibly the worst that any sound installation has rated.

[img]http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/MOOP-MAP-2011-DAY-NINE-482x435.gif[/img][/quote]

FYI - Opulent Temple was NOT on the 10 o'clock corner in 2011!!! You can blame Temple of Boom for that mess if I remember correctly. Get your facts straight before you pass out blame.
DaneshaV

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

And you might do well to read the whole conversation and get your own facts straight (as well as to uncheck the 'Disable BBCode' box directly below the message edit window). My comment was in reference to where Temple Of Boom was located in 2011.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dis)'(rack » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm

MrBeardy wrote:Bummer that they won't be back this year, but it certainly won't change things mucha s there are plenty of other options and I'm sure theat many of the OT crew/artists will be looking for other ways to help out! Great works last year to the entire crew! Let's bring the Temple of Boom back! Seems like the perfect year to do it!

Worst...Idea...Ever....

Just a few of the playa insults begins with using the playa as a forum for product placement, sleezy club segregation tactics (the principle of radical self-inclusion was thrown out like MOOP on their dance floor), and camp members gloating how they compensated performers...argghhhh!!!!!!!

Not too sure the EQ and levels were on point to boot.

No, just hell no...
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby MrBeardy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Dis)'(rack wrote:
MrBeardy wrote:Bummer that they won't be back this year, but it certainly won't change things mucha s there are plenty of other options and I'm sure theat many of the OT crew/artists will be looking for other ways to help out! Great works last year to the entire crew! Let's bring the Temple of Boom back! Seems like the perfect year to do it!

Worst...Idea...Ever....

Just a few of the playa insults begins with using the playa as a forum for product placement, sleezy club segregation tactics (the principle of radical self-inclusion was thrown out like MOOP on their dance floor), and camp members gloating how they compensated performers...argghhhh!!!!!!!

Not too sure the EQ and levels were on point to boot.

No, just hell no...

yeah I didn't know about the MOOP sitch. Good news for the now absent Opulent Temple though. Some of the crew is involved in a new camp called White Ocean. Not much on details for this new project...but I'm sure it will be good!

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteOceanCamp?ref=ts&fref=ts
MrBeardy

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 am

Don't you worry, nature abhors a vacuum and the 2:00/10:00 streets are no exception. Burning Man had a record number of camps registering this year, including plenty of camps bringing big sound. A lot of camps tend to keep things close to the vest until placement is announced, and we've got less than a month to go before that happens.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2013 Theme Camps