Need to find people to drive with from Wisconsin!

Need to find people to drive with from Wisconsin!

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:34 am

Me and my girlfriend (both BM virgins) are making our first pilgrimage out to the playa this summer. We live in wisconsin near the milwaukee area and were looking for people heading the same dirrection we are! let me know if anyone in this general area is going there as well and needs two more helping hands!
Thanks,
KS
Kindredspirits

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Need to find people to drive with from Wisconsin!

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 am

A little later the risdeshare page will start ramping up posts.. At least once folks start acquiring their tickets.

http://rideshare.burningman.com/
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 am

Thank you, thats what i thought... Guess i should offically get my ticket first huh?
Kindredspirits

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

Welcome to eplaya!

Its way to early to start looking for a ride share from "strangers" as too much will change in the next 6th months. But, its not to early to start planning your adventure.

Protip: Anyone who KNOWS they are going, doesn't Panic over tickets, and keeps their ear to the ground all the way through August, WILL get a ticket.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

Very true!

:coffee:
9ah

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 am

illy dilly wrote:Welcome to eplaya!

Its way to early to start looking for a ride share from "strangers" as too much will change in the next 6th months. But, its not to early to start planning your adventure.

Protip: Anyone who KNOWS they are going, doesn't Panic over tickets, and keeps their ear to the ground all the way through August, WILL get a ticket.

Good advice!!

If you get on the ride share now - the "strangers" you have met will be friends... My first burn I traveled from Canada to Burning man with a girl I met here on ePlaya - I met her in person in February and was a friend with her by the time we drove down. 6+ years later I am good friends and have no regrets!!

Plan to go! (Arrange time off, start saving some $$ for the trip, research costs [fuel, food, lodging] for the trip) In the end a ticket is indeed needed but a small part of the overall cost! How big is your vehicle?? My first few burns I had a 4-door honda civic and it bairly had room for the two of us and our gear (- we had to jam our water and food under the passenger's feet for the last 100 miles or so ;) )
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 am

That is my experience too, Rice--the average sedan that can normally seat 4-5 people can only haul Burn gear for 2 people, traveling light.

And something will fall out every time you open a door. :lol:

(These days I could fill an entire sedan myself, because of my shade structure.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 am

Savannah wrote:That is my experience too, Rice--the average sedan that can normally seat 4-5 people can only haul Burn gear for 2 people, traveling light.

(These days I could fill an entire sedan myself, because of my shade structure.)

Try crossing the border from Canada into the US - on your way to a burn... {snicker} You bet stuff falls out! And the customs dude is extremely curious as to why you need so much crap for a 8 day camping trip. :shock: (I always admitted that I was on my way to Burning Man and never had an issue, but I am a 40+ guy who always looks clean-cut and "responsible".)

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby TomServo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

are you looking for a ride? or a caravan? A LOT of equipment is hauled to the burn..and passenger space is a luxury.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Savannah wrote:That is my experience too, Rice--the average sedan that can normally seat 4-5 people can only haul Burn gear for 2 people, traveling light.

::raises hand::

I'm guilty of squeezing more than two in a large sedan... Thankfully two of us already had 75% of our stuff on the playa... But it was still an 'interesting' ride which included checking the wheel wells and closing everyone in with supplies tucked around them.
9ah

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Yeah--75% of 2 folks' stuff being on-playa already was key to THAT operation. :D

Savannah

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Good advice from ALL of you! Thanks much. two other people may be coming with us now so if they are im pretty sure i can use a nice truck to get us all the way there. A truck full of BM virgins heading across the country would be an adventure on its own. But ill be sure to keep tabs everyday and see if theres anything differant i need to do. If i need to meet other people for the means of getting there then so be it. whatever it takes to get to the playa :D
Kindredspirits

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm

If there's a container that ships from you area you may want to send your stuff ahead to free up space. Unless you are driving in a F-350/Expedition you might be tight on space. Of course a covered back cargo would give you a lot more room to store stuff.
9ah

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I have a trailor i can put on the back of truck. Think that and a big SUV/truck is fine? But yeah ive thought about shipping my stuff there ahead of time, ill look into it!!
Kindredspirits

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 pm

For two people, that's generally plenty.

Savannah

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Okay good good, thanks! Can someone explain to me the whole registration for tickets? I know i sound like newb but ive never really had to "register" for tickets know what i mean?
Kindredspirits

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Or i can wait like 2 weeks and find out myself i guess..
Kindredspirits

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Click on the first two links in my signature on this post. :)

If you check all the info and still don't see your question answered, try this thread:

Burning Man 2013 Tickets Info
viewtopic.php?f=326&t=63443

Or email ticketsupport(at)burningman(dot)com

Savannah

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Just a tip for new folks planning on driving far to get to the Burn: make sure you pad your schedule with plenty of time to rest. Get a hotel room in Reno for one night beforehand and at least one night afterward - maybe book a room at the Sands using Doc Pyro's awesome deal. Driving is draining, but a week on the playa is even more draining and nobody wants to get into a car wreck owing to sheer physical exhaustion!

Just driving from the playa to Reno was exhausting enough for me, and I made sure to get plenty of sleep the night before leaving.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Thank you Savannah! and Boyscoutgirl! :D
Kindredspirits

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Just a tip for new folks planning on driving far to get to the Burn: make sure you pad your schedule with plenty of time to rest. Get a hotel room in Reno for one night beforehand and at least one night afterward - maybe book a room at the Sands using Doc Pyro's awesome deal. Driving is draining, but a week on the playa is even more draining and nobody wants to get into a car wreck owing to sheer physical exhaustion!

Just driving from the playa to Reno was exhausting enough for me, and I made sure to get plenty of sleep the night before leaving.

I can second the need to schedule rest.

My drive down to BRC is about 3000Km (roughly 24 hrs on the highway) one way. The drive down was fine, normal, exciting & easy. The drive back home to Canada was long, tiring, exhausting, challenging and frankly a bummer. Schedule extra time for your drive home. Take a night in Reno to relax and give your system a chance to recoup!!

Burning Man is indeed an amazing experience! But, it is extremely hard on you. The heat, altitude and lack of sleep will take a serious toll on you!!!

Having multiple drivers helps. I did two burns as the only driver. The third burn I had 2 additional drivers, that was awesome!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah ill definatly stop and get some rest, some real rest i should say :lol: But thanks a ton everyone!
Kindredspirits

Postby Kindredspirits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 pm

If I register and buy two tickets the first day i can and the two other people im going with register no problem and purchase them on the same day i do will there be any problems? Meaning are we going to both (meaning us both two groups or two) get our tickets? Beacuse.. if me and my girlfriend get our tickets and the other two dont we are kind of screwed.. and same goes for them, if anyone knows what im exactly saying here your input would be much apreciated!!
Kindredspirits

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Just a tip for new folks planning on driving far to get to the Burn: make sure you pad your schedule with plenty of time to rest. Get a hotel room in Reno for one night beforehand and at least one night afterward - maybe book a room at the Sands using Doc Pyro's awesome deal. Driving is draining, but a week on the playa is even more draining and nobody wants to get into a car wreck owing to sheer physical exhaustion!

This is a very good tip!

Though coming from the east, I'd not suggest driving 2 hours west, then the next day driving 2 hours east. Rather grab a hotel in Winnemucca, NV.
Shit, coming from Wisconsin, I'd also suggest a room in Cheyenne too. Thats 15hrs on day 1, 12 hrs day 2. Then about 6 hours from Winnemucca to BRC, plus however long you have to sit at gate, to get to camp. Day 3 could turn into another 11 hour commute, if you spend an hour in Fernley.

I'd talk to your other drivers/partners and see how they feel about driving trucks with trailers. Keep in mind that less confident/experienced drivers will/should drive a bit slower on the highways.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Kindredspirits wrote:If I register and buy two tickets the first day i can and the two other people im going with register no problem and purchase them on the same day i do will there be any problems? Meaning are we going to both (meaning us both two groups or two) get our tickets? Beacuse.. if me and my girlfriend get our tickets and the other two dont we are kind of screwed.. and same goes for them, if anyone knows what im exactly saying here your input would be much apreciated!!

Yep, know exactly what you mean.
And, then it would come down to getting two more tickets through STEP or 3rd party sale, and the all new "OMG Last Minute sale".
Though, in my few years every August there is plenty of 3rd party "OMG ticket sales".
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm

In my experience, it's never hard to find people to drive with from Wisconsin. It's the finding of people to drive with back there that ends up being difficult.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby shLong » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 am

I'm planning on heading in from WI, too. I'm about 75 minutes west of you, at the end of Hwy 43.
I have plans with a buddy of mine from Milwaukee to go, but who knows whether that'll pan out.
I was thinking of renting a car and slamming my stuff in.
I honestly couldn't imagine 4 peoples supply fitting (gauging off of what I expect to haul).

Anyhow, good luck to ya.
Do you have an idea where you're camping at by chance?
I need to drive to Milwaukee soon and meet the regional folks. They seem really fucking friendly! Id suggest maybe hitting them up. Hell, we could even meet them together or something.
shLong

Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 am

shLong wrote:I'm planning on heading in from WI, too. I'm about 75 minutes west of you, at the end of Hwy 43.
I have plans with a buddy of mine from Milwaukee to go, but who knows whether that'll pan out.
I was thinking of renting a car and slamming my stuff in.
I honestly couldn't imagine 4 peoples supply fitting (gauging off of what I expect to haul).

Anyhow, good luck to ya.
Do you have an idea where you're camping at by chance?
I need to drive to Milwaukee soon and meet the regional folks. They seem really fucking friendly! Id suggest maybe hitting them up. Hell, we could even meet them together or something.

My 1st two burns I had a 4-door honda civic. There was almost enough room in it for two of us and our gear. We drove from Saskatoon, SK Canada (1865 Miles [3000Km] each way). Up until we stopped to get food (water, booze, snacks, etc) there was about 2 cu feet of space, and then after we had our supplies for the last 3 hours of the drive it was cozy. (the passenger had water bottles around her feet and grocery bags on her lap ;)

That drive is one hell of a lot nicer in a larger vehicle pulling a enclosed trailer (not cheaper, just more comfy)

Of course, space needed -- is a variable that increases exponentially as you camp gets more comfortable {smirk}
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Kindredspirits » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Yeah the reginals in milwaukee do seem really nice and i need to contact them soon! Depending on if its just me and one other traveler then car pooling or somthing like that would definatly be somthing to consider and finding people to travel with is going to be the hardest part. Im in the Waukesha area, hartland to be exact. But thanks we will maybe meet in the near future!
Kindredspirits

Postby Kindredspirits » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

And i think im planning on staying in the Snowflake village to answer your question :D
Kindredspirits

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!