Help Burners Without Borders in Haiti!

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

Help Burners Without Borders in Haiti!

Postby affinity » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:45 am

The Burning Man community is known for creating extraordinary outcomes in the most unlikely places, and with your participation, we are about to do it again in Haiti. With the launch of Burners Without Borders new artist in residency program, we have an opportunity to put our community's principles into action and significantly transform the lives of artists whose voices have been historically excluded-until now.

BWB has partnered with the wildly successful arts organization, Jakmel Ekspresyon, to create a first of its kind arts program in Jacmel. The goal? To enable marginalized artists, including women, the physically challenged, and those who identify as gay to become financially self-reliant. How? By empowering these artists to learn the skills necessary in design, screen printing and business to eventually earn income from their talents.

We have just two weeks remaining in our Indiegogo Campaign to raise the $10K necessary to build a screen printing studio and to take artists from our community to Jacmel to share their skills. http://www.indiegogo.com/BWB-Jakmel/x/1865699

BWB is asking for help from this art loving community to support the success of this program that will provide a sustainable income for artists who would not otherwise have the opportunity to express themselves and financially benefit from their work.

You can support the creation of a new model for radical inclusion in the arts in Haiti. Please click on the following link to learn more and to donate to this project.

To learn about the artist in residency program and fill out an application, please click here. http://tinyurl.com/btl87ad

Together, we can create the foundation for lasting change for years to come!
affinity

Re: Help Burners Without Borders in Haiti!

Postby jerroc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

I don't support Haiti. Much like I don't support dirty hippies, crack heads or junkies. After the earthquake I wanted to donate but after doing reasearch I decided nature did its job in keeping the balance. I'm sure it's a terrible thing to say but the rate of poverty and suffering there is largely due to its over population. Unless there is a change in power and life style that county is a waste of money. Best of luck to you and your efforts.
jerroc

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:45 am

My girlfriend and I were happy to support the program. It's far from a government handout, we feel it's more of a creative opportunity and a small way to help support a little more art in the world.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 pm

The Haitians are great artists. For me it can be a big object lesson in joy...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 am

jerroc wrote:I don't support Haiti. Much like I don't support dirty hippies, crack heads or junkies. After the earthquake I wanted to donate but after doing reasearch I decided nature did its job in keeping the balance. I'm sure it's a terrible thing to say but the rate of poverty and suffering there is largely due to its over population. Unless there is a change in power and life style that county is a waste of money. Best of luck to you and your efforts.

Wow. Did you research any history of the country before you decided to blame the victims? Or is the fact that Haiti went from being one of the wealthiest places in the Americas to one of the poorest after they threw out the French in a ten-year slave revolt and the US & European markets shut them out (couldn't have a successful slave revolution & a wealthy black-led Republic now, could we. The other slaves might get ideas...). Certainly the repeated invasions & reparations charged to the country by the French, British, Americans (you of course knew the US occupied Haiti from 1915-1934, and kept a finger in Haitian affairs long after) had nothing to do with the crushing poverty, and I'm sure the fact that the US supported the Duvalier dictatorship had nothing to due with the complete political instability.

You are so right, what a waste of money trying to help people who were born in the wrong country and the wrong color...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 am

This is an awesome project and only yesterday did I learn that my cousin was that one of the co-creators of the video for the Indiegogo campaign. Nice work, Ryan!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to 2013 Support A Project